ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

Question Dice with Analog DSP Install--please help

I attempted an installation today of the Dice Silverline Pro kit (which I just received) in my 2004 Z4 2.5i with Analog DSP. Everything looks to me like it's installed correctly, but all I'm getting is the text display on the Business CD, but no audio.

Pertinent facts:

1) I'm using a 2nd Generation iPod Nano

2) I spoke with Tom at EAS and ordered the DSP kit because there was the small coax wire connected on the amplifier by the battery

3) I'm getting ID3 info on the Business CD display but no audio

Steps I took:

1) I connected the DSP kit by tapping into the thick red wire which the factory has running along the amplifier mount near the battery (per Bavarian Soundwerks instructions)--I stripped insulation from the red wire and from the 12V+ (white stripe) wire on the kit, wrapped the 12V+ wire tightly around the red wire, soldered that connection, then wrapped it all with electrical tape. I connected the ground by stripping insulation and then wrapping it around the negative terminal bracket between the nut and the washer that tightens everything down, because the bavsound instructions said I could ground directly to the battery

2) The DSP kit is hooked up by tapping power as listed above, plus the gold-tipped coax cable from the kit is installed from the adapter into the factory amp (Carver) by the battery

3) The DSP adapter is tucked under the amplifier (?) that is mounted to the firewall behind the seats, with the 3-pin connector hooked into the cable I fished out of the car (red wire in the middle, brown wire on the side). However, in that same location, there's a coax connector on a black wire of the same size that isn't connected to anything.

4) When no sound would play, I did a reset of the iPod Nano (Menu + Select until the Apple logo displayed)

What happens:

I hook up the iPod on the connector and it takes a little while and then shows the DICE logo and "OK to disconnect." When I hit the #6 button on my Business CD, it shows all the software and iPod version numbers. When I hit #1, it "plays" the songs off the iPod, but there's no audio, just the ID3 (track, artist, album) information displayed on the head unit.

I've switched modes to FM and CD to make sure the audio volume is at an audible level, but I still get no sound when I go back to the iPod (CD Changer) mode.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm not getting power to the DSP adapter, but I don't know how to test. I disconnected the power connector on the DSP adapter and everything performs the same, if that helps you guys with more info.

So, what do you think? What do I need to do to get this working? Maybe I'm way off, but it seems like I'm really close and just missing a small step. Thanks in advance, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The DSP adapter is not needed, all 2006+ models were analog DSP equipped.

Remove the DSP converter and connect directly into the 3/6 pin adapters and your audio will return.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The DSP adapter is not needed, all 2006+ models were analog DSP equipped.

Remove the DSP converter and connect directly into the 3/6 pin adapters and your audio will return.
Thanks, Tom, but please note that my car is a 2004, not 2006 or newer.

I was thinking about it overnight and I wonder if I should have something connected to the coax that's near the firewall for the seats. Are the connections supposed to go:

Carver DSP Amp (by battery) -> DSP kit -> 6-pin connector (which is what I have done so far)

or

Coax by firewall (next to the 3-pin wire) -> DSP kit -> 6-pin connector (but if that's the case, what's the coax wire for in the kit?)

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if you want pictures of anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Photos taken

In hopes that this would help, I took some pictures of my installation.

The pictures, in order (I tried to keep file sizes reasonable!) are:

1) The power source I tapped for the DSP unit--it's the large, red wire. I stripped insulation, wrapped the 12V+ wire around the red wire, soldered the connection, then taped it.

2) The ground to the nut on the negative battery terminal

3) The connections into the DSP adapter, which I tucked under whatever that thing is on the firewall for the rear seats

4) A shot of whatever that thing is

5) A shot of the connectors and showing the unused coax that's lying there.

Thanks again, everyone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The connector in the last picture should be plugged into the coaxial port of the DSP adapter - assuming its still connected to the factory amp.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The connector in the last picture should be plugged into the coaxial port of the DSP adapter - assuming its still connected to the factory amp.
I restored the coax connection on the factory amp, then plugged that coax line into the DSP unit. Still no sound.

I took the iPod inside and hooked it to my Logitech portable player and it played fine, so at least I know that it does work to play from the dock connector. I took an older MP3 player out and hooked up its headphone jack to the Aux-In on the DICE, pressed button 5 and switched to Aux mode, and there's still no sound.

I suspect it's a problem with the DSP unit--is there any way to verify that it is receiving power correctly? Have you done installs tapping that red wire as Bavsound recommends? Like I said before, I've tried disconnecting the power adapter to the DSP unit and everything performs the same. That's why I think maybe the unit isn't getting powered properly, but I don't know how to check.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworrell View Post
I restored the coax connection on the factory amp, then plugged that coax line into the DSP unit. Still no sound.

I took the iPod inside and hooked it to my Logitech portable player and it played fine, so at least I know that it does work to play from the dock connector. I took an older MP3 player out and hooked up its headphone jack to the Aux-In on the DICE, pressed button 5 and switched to Aux mode, and there's still no sound.

I suspect it's a problem with the DSP unit--is there any way to verify that it is receiving power correctly? Have you done installs tapping that red wire as Bavsound recommends? Like I said before, I've tried disconnecting the power adapter to the DSP unit and everything performs the same. That's why I think maybe the unit isn't getting powered properly, but I don't know how to check.
Not sure what they are recommending, but let's focus in your situation instead. Since the battery is less than a foot away, test with the DSP power leads connected directly to the battery - the black/white lead is +12V positive on the DSP adapter.

Next verify all DIP switches are in the UP positions.

Also - there is a remote chance you have placed the DICE in AUX mode if buttons were pressed at random on the radio. Pressing CD5 and the left arrow once will revert back to iPod mode, then pressing CD1 will exit SourceSelection mode.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Tom, thanks again for your weekend/holiday support--I really appreciate it! Latest update:

1) I connected the DSP unit with +12V to the positive terminal, ground to the negative. Same result--text display but no audio from the system.

2) Verified that all four DIP switches are in the UP position.

3) Verified that the DICE is in IPOD mode.

Where can we go from here? Is it possible one or both of the units is defective? I read the official thread and I tried the reset method (although I wasn't able to touch the terminals--they wouldn't reach one another--can that be done using jumper cables to avoid the stretch? I'm sure they can reach each other if other people have done so--I just didn't want to stretch mine out). I did let the car sit with both terminals disconnected for 5 minutes, reconnected positive, reconnected negative, reset the iPod...same result.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Tom, thanks again for your weekend/holiday support--I really appreciate it! Latest update:

1) I connected the DSP unit with +12V to the positive terminal, ground to the negative. Same result--text display but no audio from the system.

2) Verified that all four DIP switches are in the UP position.

3) Verified that the DICE is in IPOD mode.

Where can we go from here? Is it possible one or both of the units is defective? I read the official thread and I tried the reset method (although I wasn't able to touch the terminals--they wouldn't reach one another--can that be done using jumper cables to avoid the stretch? I'm sure they can reach each other if other people have done so--I just didn't want to stretch mine out). I did let the car sit with both terminals disconnected for 5 minutes, reconnected positive, reconnected negative, reset the iPod...same result.
A jumper cable would be fine to terminate the cables.

Have you tried plugging the coax included with the DSP module to the factory amp? There is a possibility your existing cable is damaged/severed.

A continuity test would confirm the cables are working fine. Otherwise, we have no problem exchanging the equipment if needed.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
A jumper cable would be fine to terminate the cables.

Have you tried plugging the coax included with the DSP module to the factory amp? There is a possibility your existing cable is damaged/severed.

A continuity test would confirm the cables are working fine. Otherwise, we have no problem exchanging the equipment if needed.
If I'm understanding your question correctly, then yes I did try that earlier.

First thing I tried was hooking the provided cable into the Carver amp and then into the DSP unit. When that didn't work, I reconnected the factory cable to the Carver amp and connected the coax at the firewall to the DSP unit as you instructed earlier. Am I right in thinking that has accomplished your request--the connection has been attempted using both your cable and the OEM cable?

I tried leaving you a VM earlier but I don't think we're going to be able to connect on the phone. Thanks again for all your help so far--I hope we can get this working soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
If I'm understanding your question correctly, then yes I did try that earlier.

First thing I tried was hooking the provided cable into the Carver amp and then into the DSP unit. When that didn't work, I reconnected the factory cable to the Carver amp and connected the coax at the firewall to the DSP unit as you instructed earlier. Am I right in thinking that has accomplished your request--the connection has been attempted using both your cable and the OEM cable?

I tried leaving you a VM earlier but I don't think we're going to be able to connect on the phone. Thanks again for all your help so far--I hope we can get this working soon!
Got your message, will follow up first thing in the morning.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
thatruth
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

Did you either fix or find out the problem. I have the same issue with mine. I plugged in the RCA cables before the DSP adaptor and got music but will not work through my car stereo.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatruth View Post
Did you either fix or find out the problem. I have the same issue with mine. I plugged in the RCA cables before the DSP adaptor and got music but will not work through my car stereo.
We we positive your Z4 is equipped with Digital DSP?

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
thatruth
Rep

If the amp is supposed to have a mini coax plug on it then yes I do have digital dsp otherwise I don't really know.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
If the amp is supposed to have a mini coax plug on it then yes I do have digital dsp otherwise I don't really know.
All factory amps have the coaxial port, it may be active or inactive. We have a short tech article here on DSP:

https://www.europeanautosource.com/s...mod_id=2&id=11

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #16
thatruth
Rep

My car is equipped with the 3 pin plug and the mini coax cable which according to the article means I should have Digital DSP, right??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
My car is equipped with the 3 pin plug and the mini coax cable which according to the article means I should have Digital DSP, right??
Yes, this would signify Digital DSP.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
thatruth
Rep

Okay thanks for your response. Now I have tried several different DSP adaptors with no success. As I said earlier if I plugged a radio into the RCA cables that go to the DSP adaptor I get satelite radio but once I plug it into the DSP port on the amp I get nothing, but I get the information on the car radio screen. Does this mean my amp is bad or?????
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Okay thanks for your response. Now I have tried several different DSP adaptors with no success. As I said earlier if I plugged a radio into the RCA cables that go to the DSP adaptor I get satelite radio but once I plug it into the DSP port on the amp I get nothing, but I get the information on the car radio screen. Does this mean my amp is bad or?????
That would signify you don't have Digital DSP as the amp input is closed.

Look for a 6-pin adapter instead, which is typically bundled near your 3-pin adapter.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
thatruth
Rep

It is not there. The mini coax was bundled with the 3 pin plug.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #21
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
It is not there. The mini coax was bundled with the 3 pin plug.
We either have a problem with the factory amp, or a defective DSP coaxial cable. Also check to make sure the DSP adapter is getting power.

A CD Changer plugged into the amp as verification will determine the connectors are working properly.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
thatruth
Rep

Its been awhile since my last post. I just received another amp and plugged the coax from the DICE adaptor and still no sound. I can plug the rca cables that go to the DICE into a radio and I get music. I am at my wits end on this and don't know what to do now.
Appreciate 0