BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Proper Way to Place 4 Jack Stands?

This might sound like a dumb question, but is there a proper method to putting the car on 4 jack stands? Do I start at the front and then do the rear? Do one side first and then the other? Also, if I use the jack points to lift the car, where do I place the stands? I've never done any work that required lifting the car, so forgive me if this seems dumb.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I like to do the front then the rear if you have to do the entire car. If you do the rear first, its a little more strain on the lift (motor weight). I would NOT recommend doing left then right side. The stands tend to slide.

What are you doing? exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Before saying anything else, I'd NEVER put one of my cars on 4 jackstands; it's not safe, and not worth the possible damage, which your insurance WOULD NOT cover. I've done many catback jobs with only the rear raised. If you need the car in 4 jack stands, your garage is not the place to do such job IMO, especially on an expensive car; borrow a lift or get the job done by a pro.

Having said that, you'd HAVE to do front first, since a raised rear would leave you no space to jack up the car in front. In order to use jack stands, you need to raise the car from the middle. The front jacking point looks like a hockey puck, and it's along the contact patch of the front tires; can't miss it. The rear has to be jacked up from the differential (I was told by somebody here it was okay), but I'd only use it for the minute or so it takes to put jack stands on rear jacking points. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Not a dumb question at all. I'm curious to see how the experts answer. I have always historically lifted the front FIRST by the rubber pad and placed the jack stands on the jack pads. Rear I lift by the bridge like support and place the jack stands under the rear jack pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

OP, what are you trying to do? If you want to swap exhausts, you can do that by driving the car on a set of plastic ramps. That's what I did.
      05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Ya lucid has a good point. Thats what I'd do. I have a set of grey rhino ramps, just drive up on them, jack up the rear and then use stands, or if you have a second set of rhino ramps, just place them under the wheels and lower. I've done this on my vette - still using stands to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The ramps I used were high enough so I didn't need to jack the car up any higher to use stands. Felt safer that way anyway...
      05-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Well, I was going to mount my air horns in the rear, but I think I've found a spot up front. Now, where to place the stands? Clearly, I can't use the jack points as they will be used by the jack. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Use a small jack to lift one of the front sides. That will give you enough clearance to slide a main jack to the hockey puck from the front of the car. Raise the whole front end, pull the small jack once cleared, and place your stands at the front pads.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Hey guys, what kind of jack stands are you using? I've been looking for 2 or 3-ton jack stands with screw-type shafts and flat tops to no avail. I know they exist because have seen them in shops several times, but nobody seems to know where to buy them.

I'm afraid to use the regular flanged shafts because they can deform our pads, no? So what do you guys use, and do they permanently deform the pads? Oh, and do you lift your car from the bottom of the differential (actually, the heat sink)? Just want to make sure the car doesn't moan or groan lifted from there. I know it's just for a minute or so while installing jack stands, but still want to make sure (manual makes no mention of that jacking point). Thx.
Appreciate 0