E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 318d rev drop too fast when starting cold...

06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
BlueLux
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D Touring 2007

318d rev drop too fast when starting cold...

Hi,

I have a 318d (E91 with the 90kW/122BHP engine). It has been remapped to around 155-160BHP. I am wondering, every morning when I start the car from cold, the revs drop very fast compared to when the engine has properly warmed up. So when I change from 1st to 2nd gear, I always get a hard jerk. The 1st to 2nd shifting itself is notchy, especially when the transmission is cold, so I have "baby" it into 2nd. Otherwise I get a bit of a grinding feel. And since the revs drop so fast, the engine is already at idle speed before I can release the clutch. It does perform excellent after 3-4 mins, though, after the engine has warmed up.

I think I know how diesel engines work, when the engine is not properly warmed up, it cannot burn diesel efficiently. So I guess that's why when it's cold, the revs drop so much faster (?)

But I wonder, if the car hasn't been remapped, if this would still be a problem? I mean, the remapping probably made it to inject more diesel into the engine and make this problem more pronounced.

So, is it like this for all diesel BMWs, remapped or not? Or should I get the ECU flashed to original software? The remap is very aggressive, I'm a bit afraid that 160BHP and 350NM is more than it can take. (Although it's been driven 32.000 km without problems...)

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0