E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fluid leak, rear of vehicle

06-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
BLKBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E92

Fluid leak, rear of vehicle

Just noticed today some nickel size spots on my garage. Black, oily feel. Didnt smell like diff fluid but Im used to Jeep leaks not BMW. Its in the area where the rear diff would be possible further up. I looked under car and couldnt see anything on rear diff. Its a 325 w 24,000. Its certified so its under warranty, just curious what it is until I get it in. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBMW View Post
Just noticed today some nickel size spots on my garage. Black, oily feel. Didnt smell like diff fluid but Im used to Jeep leaks not BMW. Its in the area where the rear diff would be possible further up. I looked under car and couldnt see anything on rear diff. Its a 325 w 24,000. Its certified so its under warranty, just curious what it is until I get it in. Thanks for any help.
could be the rear output shaft seal on the trans, kinda weird that its black oil tho. make sure its not from your air conditoner sweating, on those cars when they sweat the water runs down all the covers until it hits about mid way on the trans, so maybe the water is picking up some water residue and dripping off the back of the plastic cover under the trans
Appreciate 0