BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Alex Wagstaff
X3SF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

Ventilation System Howl!!

Greetings:

I am the owner of a 2005 X3. This is my 5th BMW and I have been very happy with it.

I do have one problem that my dealer has been unable or unwilling to help me with.

When I am driving at high speeds and there are cross winds, I often experience a howling sound coming out of the center ventilation system. The dealer has never been able to help with the problem Recently, when I was having some body work done, the mechanic went under the hood and pointed our that the ventilation filter was in backwards! He snapped it in properly and I was hopeful that my problem was resolved. Unfortunately, this weekend, I found that the problem still exists.

Have any of you ever experienced this noise? I would appreciate your thoughts and help.

Regards, X3SF
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Johnn
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5i

Not experienced it, but just offering some thoughts ....

there is some foam sealing tape around the 2 air ducts where they terminate at the plastic grill/vents on the dashboard.
If that had got displaced, such as when an aux-in was being installed in the back of the radio, I imagine it could present that symptom.

Another thing to check, especially as it only happens at speed, is that the 4 rubber pads are intact on your jacking points. Apparently, a missing one can cause strange whistling noises in the bodywork.

Finally, the 3 little plastic thumbscrews that retain the lid for the cabin filter don't have a confidence inspiring action to me, and could maybe vibrate loose.

I could see that being a cause - and would have been surprised if an upside down filter was the noise culprit.
Appreciate 0