BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Hytoryan
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Coupe

Looking for Touchless Car Wash in Boston/Brookline Area

(Sorry for multiple posts. Just learning the system.)

I just bought a black 128i Coupe, took it to the Allston Car Wash, and immediately got a raft from my son, who loudly chatised me for not going to a "touchless" car wash. I didn't notice any swirls (I did notice water spots, however), but now I see a thread here from last year in which people singled out Allston as the place NOT to go to. If so, where can I take my car in/near Brookline/Boston?

Also, I noticed that I have at least one water spot already (I've had the car for a week) -- from the rain a couple of days ago, I guess. Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Get a sealeant protection on it as soon as you can. I use/recommend Zaino, and it is available close to you on the US East coast. It will prevent water spots and swirls. Get the total protection kit - check out www.zainostore.com
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Rickrack
Private
Rep
Drives: 03' Corvette Z06, 99' Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytoryan View Post
(Sorry for multiple posts. Just learning the system.)

I just bought a black 128i Coupe, took it to the Allston Car Wash, and immediately got a raft from my son, who loudly chatised me for not going to a "touchless" car wash. I didn't notice any swirls (I did notice water spots, however), but now I see a thread here from last year in which people singled out Allston as the place NOT to go to. If so, where can I take my car in/near Brookline/Boston?

Also, I noticed that I have at least one water spot already (I've had the car for a week) -- from the rain a couple of days ago, I guess. Is that possible?

Congratulations on your new 128i !! They are beautiful cars...

As I'm sure you already know, black cars are a part time job to keep them looking nice. Unfortunately, there aren't really any good places in the Boston area for car washes. Depending on where you live (having a place to wash your car), your best bet is to do it yourself or have a professional detailer take care of it for you. Also, be sure NEVER to let the dealership do a 'courtesy' wash for you, as they have no clue what they are doing and almost always damage your finish.

Even the touchless car washes don't do the best job. They do OK at getting the 'heavies' off, but they still require a wipedown, which actually does more damage, because you are wiping the leftover dirt into the paint, which will scratch and mocromarr the finish, resulting in swirl marks and spiderwebbing over time.

I own a high-end car care facility in Wakefield and would be happy to help you out, but I'm sure you are looking for something a little closer to Brookline. I have a process I follow that will not damage the finish in any way, which takes about an hour to complete. I have a lot of clients that will only come to me for a wash, since it done the right way and will keep the car looking brand new. It costs a little more than your average car wash, but I guarantee you will never go anywhere else once it is done by me. The cost is usually around $50 or so.

I would be happy to give you some tips if you decide to do it yourself, but you will have to purchase a fair amount of products and equipment to get optimal results. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help out.

~Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
RPB67
Private
Rep
Drives:

I am in Lynnfield, which one is that and were are you located.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Hytoryan
Rep

Thanks for the advice. Quick question: I already notice a couple of water spots (on the hood -- I don't see any anywhere else), and the car is only a week old. What's that about? (It did rain the day I got the car.)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
What spots are natural... they come from when water with dissolved salts and solids evaporates. Nothing will prevent water spots from appearing on your cars, but sealants, waxes, etc will prevent water spots from eating into your car's clearcoat.

You can probably just rub off the water spots you have, but it is a good idea to put a good coat of sealant or wax to give you added protection. I use Zaino and have found it good, but it is a bit of work to put on as it recommends multiple coats (but you only need to do it a couple times a year). Using a clay bar also is good for removing stubborn water spots, which would be included in the Zaino Total Protection Kit. I think I bought the Ultimate protection kit to get the leather treatment supplies as well.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Hytoryan
Rep

Did try to rub them out today when I washed the car myself -- no luck. The spots seem beneath the surface to my (uneducated) eyes. I noticed one yesterday after I took it to a car wash (I went over it pretty carefully yesterday to make sure it was completely dry), then noticed two more (on the other side of the hood -- these, too, seemed below the surface, more like blotches) on the other side of the hood. I'm reading a lot on line about cleaners, clay, wax, polish, etc. (including using machines, etc.). Kind of freaky to me (never had a car I cared much about, truthfully), given that it's brand new! I'm thinking if I have to do anything, I might be more comfortable taking it to someone rather than doing it myself.

Is this simply because I didn't dry it to day I picked it up after it rained? Again, I just got the car last Tuesday!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

i have buckets at my house and live in your area...i cant stand the thought of a 1er in a carwash.

but seriously...randys across from the arsenal is self serve if you must go to a car wash

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Rickrack
Private
Rep
Drives: 03' Corvette Z06, 99' Bmw 540i

Most, if not all of the time, new car dealers deliver cars to customers with absolutely no protection on them. They might apply a glaze before you take ownership, but in reality, it's just silicone, which temporarily makes the car look perfect. Sometimes it lasts days, other times maybe a few weeks until it starts to wear off.

Another thing is that most cars sit on the dealers lot for weeks and months on end with no protection on them and are very prone to acid rain damage as well as other issues. They get dirty on the lot, get rained on and then sit in the hot sun all day over and over and over again with no protection on them. My guess is that it was present when you got the car, but you couldn't see it because it had been filled with a glaze. I can go more in-depth about this if you would like.

As far as protection, a synthetic sealant is the way to go and should be re-applied about every 4 months or so, depending if the car is garaged or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
There's a great place in Everett on rt 99..It's down the street from the Honda Cars Of Boston dealership.. It has the most compressive self wash bays I've ever seen!!! Complete with blow drier lolz.. They also have 2 touchless bays and a traditional drive through wash tunnel.. They got 2 extreme detailing bays too

This I think is the best car wash in Boston I've come across..

--mike
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
i'll jump on that zaino train too....awesome stuff! i've got several witnesses to the fact that the initial application takes upwards of 6 hours, if you want to do it right, but DAMN is it worth it and it lasts a while!

Appreciate 0