E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Effect of Catless DP's on Oil Temps at the Track?

07-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
murph-54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i TS Coupe 6MT

Effect of Catless DP's on Oil Temps at the Track?

Has anyone seen a change in their oil temps at the track after installing catless DP's? If so, are you running a tune? I heard arguments that going catless will help with oil temps because of the reduced restriction in the exhaust system while others argue it will increase temps because you are putting out more power (especially if you are running a more aggressive map with one of the tunes). I'm already running temps in the 280 plus range and do not what to install DP's and find out my temps have increased.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
IMO, oil temps WILL fall if adding catless DPs.
Here is what I found:
-The car warms up slower-Why? Because with cats, the exhaust pressure builds up before the cat and therefore the heat builds.
This is one of the reasons why cars in america have the cats close to the engine instead of the euro cars that have them in the middle. The faster the car warms up the less emissions, etc.
Catless DPs are great for the engine and great for the turbos, but bad for emissions.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Definitely check out Dinan's stuff. We ran a 335 for 12 hours at Summit Point with all the Dinan stuff without any heat issues and never hit a limp home mode (the car is still street legal).
They may be a little more conservative, but they're safe and it works.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
I'm in the more power equates to more heat camp regardless of what mod is used to get there. For open DPs the engine does take longer to warm from cold, but once at operating temp heat is a function of output holding the cooling system constant.
      07-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
murph-54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i TS Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
I'm in the more power equates to more heat camp regardless of what mod is used to get there. For open DPs the engine does take longer to warm from cold, but once at operating temp heat is a function of output holding the cooling system constant.
There must be some folks out there that have actual experience with the effect of catless DP's on oil and/or coolant temps at the track. Mr. 5 believes going catless will decrease oil temps and Hit Apex believes it will increase them. Both arguments make sense. That's why it would be great for members that track their cars and have gone from catted to catless to share their experiences regarding any changes in oil and/or coolant temps. Please, there must be someone out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph-54 View Post
There must be some folks out there that have actual experience with the effect of catless DP's on oil and/or coolant temps at the track. Mr. 5 believes going catless will decrease oil temps and Hit Apex believes it will increase them. Both arguments make sense. That's why it would be great for members that track their cars and have gone from catted to catless to share their experiences regarding any changes in oil and/or coolant temps. Please, there must be someone out there.
I have high flow catted DPs, but I run 10C hotter now all the time and 15C hotter when on the track over when I was stock. Not very scientific, but net net, it runs hotter. Oh, the car warms up just as fast winter or summer.