BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Renault's Piquet is offically fired

08-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Renault's Piquet is offically fired

Finally...

'Angry' Piquet confirms Renault axing
Monday 3rd August 2009

Nelson Piquet fired a damning parting shot at Flavio Briatore after on Monday being released from his contract with Renault.

After 28 grands prix, and notably 10 this season without scoring a point, Piquet unsurprisingly finds himself out of Formula One.

Yet the Brazilian, rather than going quietly, has chosen to point an accusing finger at Renault team boss Briatore, describing him as his "executioner".

The 24-year-old has launched a stinging attack on Briatore, who also served as his manager, claiming his arrival at Renault was the start of "the black period" of his career.

"As a beginner in F1, I expected from my team a lot of support and preparation to help me in getting up to the task," said Piquet, who found himself alongside double world champion Fernando Alonso.

"Instead, I was relegated as 'someone who drives the other car' with no attention at all.

"In addition, on numerous occasions, 15 minutes before qualifying and races, my manager and team boss would threaten me, telling me if I didn't get a good result, he had another driver ready to put in my place.

"I have never needed threats before to get results.

"In 2008 I scored 19 points, finished once on the podium in second place, having the best debut year of a Brazilian driver in F1."

Piquet claims Briatore promised him 'equal treatment' this season after being made to sign a performance-based contract requiring him to attain 40% of Alonso's points by the midway point of the year.

However, Piquet insists the Italian reneged on his words as Alonso was often afforded the better car, leaving him with little or no chance in qualifying and the races.

"I believe without doubt in my talent and my performance," added Piquet, who finished second to Lewis Hamilton in the 2006 GP2 championship.

"I didn't get this far by getting bad results. Anyone who knows my history knows the results I am having in F1 do not match my CV and my ability.

"The conditions I have had to deal with during the last two years have been very strange to say the least - there are incidents that I can hardly believe occurred myself.

"If I now need to give explanations, I am certain it is because of the unfair situation I have been in in the past two years.

"I always believed that having a manager was being a part of a team and having a partner.

"A manager is supposed to encourage you, support you, and provide you with opportunities. In my case it was the opposite - Flavio Briatore was my executioner."

Piquet is now seeking out pastures new in F1, confident he has the talent to shine, even if his record says otherwise, in particular as he was out-qualified 27-1 by Alonso.

"Being under pressure is not new to me," insisted Piquet, the son of three-times former world champion Nelson Piquet.

"I have had criticism throughout my career, and have also had a lot of expectations put on me due to my name.

"Up until now I always met those expectations - surpassed them even.

"I have never before felt the need to defend myself or fight back from rumours and criticism because I knew the truth and I just wanted to concentrate on racing - I didn't ever let it affect me.

"Fortunately, I can now say to those people who supported me through my career I'm back on the good tracks and considering the options for a new start in my F1 career in a fair and positive way."

With the seat now vacant, it is likely Renault will turn to test driver Romain Grosjean for the final seven races of the year.

Original link: http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,1895...471117,00.html
      08-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep

So basically Renault has no drivers for next year if the Alonso/Ferrari rumors are true.
      08-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I dont really think he has an argument with all the "incidents" he was involved in...
      08-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
JSH
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Yep, Brilliant young drivers that are getting the short end of the stick from the team look exactly like brilliant drivers getting the short end of the stick from the team.

PQ-Jnr on the other hand just looked crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
I dont really think he has an argument with all the "incidents" he was involved in...
exactly... and its not like he was a great qualifier either.
      08-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Any ideas on who will replace him for the rest of the season?

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

The OP says the test driver
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
That's his excuse of numurous spun out this year???
      08-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
Any ideas on who will replace him for the rest of the season?
The guy they keep showing sitting with Flav. on the pit wall.
      08-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Good riddance I say... he was the worst driver in F1, and now he wants to blame it on Flav !! Go figure... Just cuz you were good in GP2, doesn't mean you will be good in F1 which is way more demanding on setup, tire management along many other variables
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Good riddance I say... he was the worst driver in F1, and now he wants to blame it on Flav !! Go figure... Just cuz you were good in GP2, doesn't mean you will be good in F1 which is way more demanding on setup, tire management along many other variables
those are not important to him....i'd say the first thing he should be good at is keep the car on the track...not spun out numurous times...
      08-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
The guy they keep showing sitting with Flav. on the pit wall.
The funny thing is that when it was Fisichella's job on the line they would always show Piquet hanging out on the pit wall next to Briatore, looking like his pet. Now it's Piquet's turn to be replaced by Flavio's new favorite. That being said, Piquet really wasn't that impressive. Not a great driver and not a good attitude. And his dad is a psycho.
      08-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Lewis Hamilton matched and even outshone Eyebrow Man in his first outings. What does Nelsinho Piquet have to show for?
Well he makes Eyebrow look good.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

piquet is a bit of a "baby"

shoulda walked away earlier when he realized his team wasn't behind him as they should be.. something was obviously up..
      08-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, 2012 328Xi Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
Lewis Hamilton matched and even outshone Eyebrow Man in his first outings. What does Nelsinho Piquet have to show for?
Well he makes Eyebrow look good.
Which is the primary role of any number two on an Alonso team.
F.A. defines the term "Does not play well with others"
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Which is the primary role of any number two on an Alonso team.
F.A. defines the term "Does not play well with others"
hahaha...that's one thing....

but team up with Fernando Alonso, from a new kid on the block...unless u have the balls like Lewis Hamilton and the team that acutally supports you, otherwise its a career suicide....
      08-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
hahaha...that's one thing....

but team up with Fernando Alonso, from a new kid on the block...unless u have the balls like Lewis Hamilton and the team that acutally supports you, otherwise its a career suicide....
Fred made the mistake at McLaren of thinking HE was their #1.

He's still one of the best in F1 and the best development driver in the sport. Too bad he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

IMO if he goes to Ferrari it will be a disaster for the team.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Fred made the mistake at McLaren of thinking HE was their #1.

He's still one of the best in F1 and the best development driver in the sport. Too bad he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

IMO if he goes to Ferrari it will be a disaster for the team.
Well, in 2007, no one knows how good Lewis Hamilton was until he got on podium in his first race...Fernando wasn't prepared that his teammate was his biggest rival...

and poor driver management from Ron Dennis...well...not poor...but Ron Dennis let both driver compete sorta equally...and that's not what Fernando wants...so he just had to leave in poor relationship....

however, i dun think Fernando and Lewis are really in that bad terms....probably just something that i saw after the Hungarian Qualify....and both on podium in Singapore last year....i dun see much hostility there....at least not like Fernando and Felipe in 2007....

he's not the most charming guy for the media, but he's just being "honest" and speak watever he heels at that time....
      08-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, in 2007, no one knows how good Lewis Hamilton was until he got on podium in his first race...Fernando wasn't prepared that his teammate was his biggest rival...

and poor driver management from Ron Dennis...well...not poor...but Ron Dennis let both driver compete sorta equally...and that's not what Fernando wants...so he just had to leave in poor relationship....

however, i dun think Fernando and Lewis are really in that bad terms....probably just something that i saw after the Hungarian Qualify....and both on podium in Singapore last year....i dun see much hostility there....at least not like Fernando and Felipe in 2007....

he's not the most charming guy for the media, but he's just being "honest" and speak watever he heels at that time....

Ron D. knew what Hamilton could do when he promoted him and should have known the effect it would have had on Alonso.
Honest as he sees it yes, but you don't have to open your mouth whenever a thought enters your head
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. And the fact that his english isnt perfect makes it that more truthful too.
      08-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #21
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you look after the quali. session where the timing and scoring went out, they seemed to be pretty chill with each other.
      08-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #22
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
If you look after the quali. session where the timing and scoring went out, they seemed to be pretty chill with each other.
exactly...no hard feelings...just two good drivers caught in a bad moment....(sounds dirty tho...hahaha)