BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
thetaxguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Possible X3 Owner

Hi,

I have been looking at a few forums and have noticed that the 07-08 X3 have tranny issues. Have the issues been resolved? I have not been able to get a clear answer in my reading as many threads drift off topic or are 200+ pages long. Should I look at the '06 model year? Is there anything else that I should look out for?

I have been walking through various dealers in the Southern California area, an the 2006s seem to be priced between $27K to $31K for the various options and mileage. What should I look to pay for a 2006 X3 w/30K miles, white exterior/black interior, non-navi, with leatherette? Is there an option to extend the covered mainteance beyond the 50K mark? If so, what shold I look into spending on something like that? I have looked on KBB and Edmunds.com, but we all know that those values are not worth the paper they're printed on.

All and all the car seems to be pretty nice. My finance is the one who will be driving it every day. I just want to make sure that I am not purchasing a car that she will end up hating in the future.

Thanks,

-Shawn
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
pplace
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 X3 AT

Run!

If you haven't already bought...do not.

I have a brand new one --- brand spanking new with a ton of problems. Terribly bouncy, rocky ride at low speeds on smooth roads...do not understand this one at all but it is really bad.

Transmission shifts down hard, car slows down to almost a stop...not good. Transmission stutters when accelerating on a hill....don't understand this one either. I think the AT problems are still with us!

Who knew?

I didn't.

I am disappointed to say the least. Furious to say the truth.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace View Post
If you haven't already bought...do not.

I have a brand new one --- brand spanking new with a ton of problems. Terribly bouncy, rocky ride at low speeds on smooth roads...do not understand this one at all but it is really bad.

Transmission shifts down hard, car slows down to almost a stop...not good. Transmission stutters when accelerating on a hill....don't understand this one either. I think the AT problems are still with us!

Who knew?

I didn't.

I am disappointed to say the least. Furious to say the truth.
I just had my tranny replaced. Same delay, and horrible shift issues.. worse than the tranny they replaced!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Smile Looking at X3's

I have had a 2004, 2006 and 2008 X3's all fully loaded. I would stick with either a 2004 or 2006 MY, as both are trouble free at 65000+ miles. RIP the 2008 MY . Extended warranty and maintenance are available for purchase, however please pay attention to what is not covered in the extended warranty vs the original warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Never owned an X3 but had one as a loaner. The tranny slipped and lost power when leaving the dealer. It recoverd 3-5 seconds later. But scary stuff.

If you get an X3, get a manual tranny.
      10-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Never owned an X3 but had one as a loaner. The tranny slipped and lost power when leaving the dealer. It recoverd 3-5 seconds later. But scary stuff.

Yep sounds about right. Just enough time to be killed in traffic!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
pplace
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 X3 AT

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

It gets even worse. The AT is so bizarre that it will stop the car when I take the foot off the gas (as in slowing to a stop or turning a corner). It also fails to accelerate when going uphill and when making a turn after a stop. It apparently hates left turns every now and again.

Push pedal - nothing. Push pedal down further - nothing. Push pedal down even further - whoa nellie!

It is intermittent, unexpected and frightening.

The AT is also start and stop (I can feel the gears shifting hard) when accelerating and decelerating at lower speeds. It is a mess!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
M3X3Z3
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d G01

I previously had a 2006 3.0d with an auto slush box. No problems except the delays in the slush box. In South Africa the 3.0d is only available in auto

In June 2009 I bough a new 2009 3.0d auto, after my SA told me that the X3 had the new generation Sports Auto box, minus the paddles.

I must say it is allround a 20% better car that the 06 model.
The throttle response is much better and auto box is very responsive. I would say that the tranny delays are 90% reduced.
Off the line she is very quick and things like lane changes and overtaking are no longer the nightmares they used to be.

Performance wise, it feels stronger both before and after the peak in the power curve.
Power curve wise, on the dyno, she has head and shoulders, not just head like the 06 model.

Although I have chipped it with three maps, I spend most of my time in non-chip mode - that is how driveable it is. ( Map 3 has 195 kw and over 600Nm - it is hard to believe that 1885kg can accelerate that fast.)

All round I am very very happy with it and it is great fun to drive.

At the same time I feel for you guys with the problems you are having
I had an E46 M3 like your X3's - man was that a dissapointment !!
Appreciate 0