E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealer said its not good to change oil often ! What ?

08-14-2009, 03:39 AM   #1
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Dealer said its not good to change oil often ! What ?

Hi,

Went to the dealer today in order to talk about changing the oil later in the day. When I said to the dealer that I want to change it after 15.000kms (9300 miles) from the last change he said that the oil should not be changed that often because it is BMW LongLife 04 oil and it has detergent and abrasive action in the first miles. He said he will change anyway if I want, but now I'm confused

I already changed the oil at 5000 miles since I bought the car...did I do wrong ? wtf ?

So, is there a problem with changing the standard BMW oil at less than 30.000km (18.000 miles) ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Hi,

Went to the dealer today in order to talk about changing the oil later in the day. When I said to the dealer that I want to change it after 15.000kms (9300 miles) from the last change he said that the oil should not be changed that often because it is BMW LongLife 04 oil and it has detergent and abrasive action in the first miles. He said he will change anyway if I want, but now I'm confused

I already changed the oil at 5000 miles since I bought the car...did I do wrong ? wtf ?

So, is there a problem with changing the standard BMW oil at less than 30.000km (18.000 miles) ?
Next time you are there, show him the test data that shows metal content in the oil even for those that changed it at 3k miles. I wonder how so many of them can be completely oblivious to reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Just ridiculous statement from the dealer...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
how can this guy be an SA, and be so out of touch.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Mate, I'd be changing it every 7,500-10,000km. Or if money is no object, every 5,000km. Just get BMW to do the scheduled 24,000km oil changes and do them yourself in between
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
gqmd
Chemo Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

What the dealer told you makes absolutely no sense at all...
      08-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Pug
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90

Everyone is correct. It is ridiculous that they don't recommend changing the oil more frequently. It is also true that BMW, not the individual dealerships, made the decision to extend the service interval. Dealerships are not going to go against what BMW says, not matter what makes sense. Anyone with half a brain can guess why BMW made the service interval longer (hint: there's hopefully some in your wallet).

As an aside, this does not bode well for people buying CPO cars off lease that were only serviced like once in 3 years. They will be the ones who see the long term effects on the engine of this stupid policy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
They have to support the "Free Maintenance" scam of BMW. What would it cost them to do free oil changes every 5k miles? What would it cost them if they did not say they could not repeat the malfunction or problem that customers bring their cars in for 30-40% of the time.

I am sure they hate that the BT tool allows people to know malfunction codes before they bring the car in. I personally can't stand going to the dealer, and the horror stories around here seem to support the way I feel about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Any oil worth the plastic can it comes in will have detergent.

This is why oil turns 'black' within a few miles of driving... it's cleaning off the 'crap' from the metal.

The important dirt gets trapped in the filter, while the microscopic stuff stays suspended... hence the black oil.

Any car with a 2k or 3k mile oil change schedule (i.e. evo or sti) will have to deal with 'fresh' detergent too...
If they are ok changing every few k miles, no reason another engine wouldn't.

And for that matter, it's not like the detergent vanishes after the first 500 miles or what-not.

Personally, I change oil every 2-3k miles... it costs like one fill up (sheesh, some people cry 'waste of $' over the smallest expense), and I get to 'flush' out the engine.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Authorized dealers are usually full of the brown stuff, and this one is for sure one of them :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
i would of laughed the whole time i was walking out and bringing my car to do a different dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

thats funny because my car is getting its 1 year oil change at 6400 miles . I think they get the least qualified people to become SA's. Might as well talk to the BMW logo at your dealer. Someone should record these ridiculos statements and send them to BMW NA - no pride in their work.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Next time you are there, show him the test data that shows metal content in the oil even for those that changed it at 3k miles. I wonder how so many of them can be completely oblivious to reality.
those guys are about as smart as a door knob, what good would showing them a test result do ?

Harry
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
atomicwedgy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 gto

Ok first off, yes most SA's dont know or care about cars.

Next, most of them hate people who think they know all from a forum.

Finally, Dealerships are paid to REPAIR cars. BMWNA designs the diagnostic tools. Without a conclusive test plan, no part can be replaced. Technicians arent paid for work time while they search for miniscule rattles and squeaks. If they have a fuel pump fault, even if they know the vehicle has a failing fuel pump, If they are unable to duplicate the concern while the diagnostic tool is attatched or have a conclusive test plan, the technician cannot replace the part.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicwedgy View Post

Finally, Dealerships are paid to REPAIR cars. BMWNA designs the diagnostic tools. Without a conclusive test plan, no part can be replaced. Technicians arent paid for work time while they search for miniscule rattles and squeaks. If they have a fuel pump fault, even if they know the vehicle has a failing fuel pump, If they are unable to duplicate the concern while the diagnostic tool is attatched or have a conclusive test plan, the technician cannot replace the part.
"service advisor" don't know or care about cars. Fantastic, would you like to go to a doctor that does not know or care about you ?

"Next, most of them hate people who think they know all from a forum."
So the peron that does not know or care about cars hates people that know atleast "something" about cars. What a surprise ! . Maybe they should actually do something they like / care about in life

"Finally, Dealerships are paid to REPAIR cars. BMWNA designs the diagnostic tools. Without a conclusive test plan, no part can be replaced. Technicians arent paid for work time while they search for miniscule rattles and squeaks. If they have a fuel pump fault, even if they know the vehicle has a failing fuel pump, If they are unable to duplicate the concern while the diagnostic tool is attatched or have a conclusive test plan, the technician cannot replace the part"

Hmmmn Ok but they should then not give false "advice" about oil changes to customers who actually know a thing or two about their cars. I say change their title to service doormats. The fulfil the same function. And maybe they should keep their moth sut if they do not "know or care" about what they are doing.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

I couldn't imagine not changing my Oil every 5,000km... Hell I change the Oil in my Beater DD more often than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
evifytrihteno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
I couldn't imagine not changing my Oil every 5,000km... Hell I change the Oil in my Beater DD more often than that.
you mean your 97' eagle talon isn't your Beater DD?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #19
atomicwedgy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
"service advisor" don't know or care about cars. Fantastic, would you like to go to a doctor that does not know or care about you ?

"Next, most of them hate people who think they know all from a forum."
So the peron that does not know or care about cars hates people that know atleast "something" about cars. What a surprise ! . Maybe they should actually do something they like / care about in life

"Finally, Dealerships are paid to REPAIR cars. BMWNA designs the diagnostic tools. Without a conclusive test plan, no part can be replaced. Technicians arent paid for work time while they search for miniscule rattles and squeaks. If they have a fuel pump fault, even if they know the vehicle has a failing fuel pump, If they are unable to duplicate the concern while the diagnostic tool is attatched or have a conclusive test plan, the technician cannot replace the part"

Hmmmn Ok but they should then not give false "advice" about oil changes to customers who actually know a thing or two about their cars. I say change their title to service doormats. The fulfil the same function. And maybe they should keep their moth sut if they do not "know or care" about what they are doing.

Harry

S/A is a job for some, not a "passion". Hell, id love to get paid to sit at home all day, that's my "love", but i have a feeling I will not receive financial compensation. Just be aware of the world you are walking into. If you want to change your oil every 1k, why would you listen to an S/A?

Additionally, most people are unaware, The majority of advisors are paid a % baised on the repairs performed. The more $ bmw has to pay... the more $ they make. Think about it. A fuel pump 1k, good money... unable to duplicate customer concern $0 not good money.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #20
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
S/A is a job for some, not a "passion". Hell, id love to get paid to sit at home all day, that's my "love", but i have a feeling I will not receive financial compensation. Just be aware of the world you are walking into. If you want to change your oil every 1k, why would you listen to an S/A?

Additionally, most people are unaware, The majority of advisors are paid a % baised on the repairs performed. The more $ bmw has to pay... the more $ they make. Think about it. A fuel pump 1k, good money... unable to duplicate customer concern $0 not good money.
Would they rather pour metal shavings in your engine so they could install a new long block?
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #21
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

Every time i bring my car into the shop I know more about it than the stupid techs they have working there.

A little different but I have a mb and took it in for a few things that I wanted done.

Me
car is not making power,iats are sky high and supercharger is shutting down

Tech
Thats normal

me
car is making noise and binding up while turning,Do you feel that tech?

Tech
Yes thats normal

me
car needs new ball joints and supercharger pump,mind you the car is out of warenty and this stupid tech is like 25 years old with no expeirence working on e55 AMGs

Tech
Hooked it up to the computer and everything is normal

Me
logged it and its running pig rich and retarding timing like -20 and my ltfts are pig rich

Tech
???

me
Do you know anything about this car or cars at all?

left there paying 150 bucks labor for them to inspect my car and tell me its ok
Took the car to my mechanic and fixed everything

The dealers will only fix faults that are tripped in the computer,he was trying to tell my that intake air temps of 198 d was normal.

this kid should not be working on cars,im sorry I have been there many times with my cars and most of them dont know crap about cars and you get that feeling after dropping it off that they have no clue and wont fix it right.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #22
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
Every time i bring my car into the shop I know more about it than the stupid techs they have working there.

A little different but I have a mb and took it in for a few things that I wanted done.

Me
car is not making power,iats are sky high and supercharger is shutting down

Tech
Thats normal

me
car is making noise and binding up while turning,Do you feel that tech?

Tech
Yes thats normal

me
car needs new ball joints and supercharger pump,mind you the car is out of warenty and this stupid tech is like 25 years old with no expeirence working on e55 AMGs

Tech
Hooked it up to the computer and everything is normal

Me
logged it and its running pig rich and retarding timing like -20 and my ltfts are pig rich

Tech
???

me
Do you know anything about this car or cars at all?

left there paying 150 bucks labor for them to inspect my car and tell me its ok
Took the car to my mechanic and fixed everything

The dealers will only fix faults that are tripped in the computer,he was trying to tell my that intake air temps of 198 d was normal.

this kid should not be working on cars,im sorry I have been there many times with my cars and most of them dont know crap about cars and you get that feeling after dropping it off that they have no clue and wont fix it right.

thats the truth a lot of the time, some tech's are great, others are morons.

beware the dealers.j