E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How Bad Are The Piggys?

08-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

How Bad Are The Piggys?

Ok, with every new software update for the piggys we read, 'this is SOOO much better' much smoother, way less lag. How can this be? How bad were these things to begin with, and how bad are they now that they can be dramatically improved every two weeks?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

We used to hear that a new iteration was "buttery smooth". Nothing seems buttery smooth anymore.

Anyway, to answer your question, beware the butt dynos.
      08-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

the piggies are not bad at all. As good as GIAC is and i can appreciate that, until they come out with stage 2+ i wont even be looking in that direction.
      08-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Ok, with every new software update for the piggys we read, 'this is SOOO much better' much smoother, way less lag. How can this be? How bad were these things to begin with, and how bad are they now that they can be dramatically improved every two weeks?
Early ones without direct boost control were lacking in many respects. The tunes after that got much better. And the small incremental changes we make now can result in a large subjective difference to the Seat of the pants which is a far more sensitive device, in many ways, than a dyno.

With the PROcedes recent CANbus integration, we expect things to improve for years. That's what happens when you go from reading a handful of signals to a dozen to a hundred.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I'm especially interested in lagfix2... get those maps finished up shiv!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

The jb3 has come a long way. It use to be just raw power, but Terry has been smoothing it out and now it feels amazing.
      08-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
The jb3 has come a long way. It use to be just raw power, but Terry has been smoothing it out and now it feels amazing.
Do you feel that there is still room for substantial improvement? There is always room for improvement, I know, but is there still a roughness that you would like to see smoothed out?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Early ones without direct boost control were lacking in many respects. The tunes after that got much better. And the small incremental changes we make now can result in a large subjective difference to the Seat of the pants which is a far more sensitive device, in many ways, than a dyno.

With the PROcedes recent CANbus integration, we expect things to improve for years. That's what happens when you go from reading a handful of signals to a dozen to a hundred.

Shiv
+1, yes you can always improve on the seat of the pants feel...but how much more power can we really expect, I think we have reached the limits of the stock turbo's right?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
+1, yes you can always improve on the seat of the pants feel...but how much more power can we really expect, I think we have reached the limits of the stock turbo's right?
i don't think the focus is really on peak power any more but it is far more day to day drivability that is now the main concern.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

yeah there is no more secret power to be found in the turbos (only more power with meth at this point). Now it's just fine-tuning everything else.

Last edited by jpsimon; 08-20-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
i don't think the focus is really on peak power any more but it is far more day to day drivability that is now the main concern.
I would agree with that, the dyno glory typically will inspire someone to buy a product, but the livability will get them to keep the product.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post

Shiv
Before I ask my question I will preface it with Dinan is expensive and much slower than Vishnu's products.

Now that that is out of the way.....

So what you are saying is that your original product was lacking is many arenas? Does that include safety parameters? While I am not very technical in many ways when it comes to cars, as I have read like many other, about the evolution of your products into something that strikes me as very impressive today, it seems that your earlier products (while at the time we hailed as superior) couldn't possibly have been. I mean when Dinan says they recalibrated 2000 "things" "equations" or "processes" in the ECU, is that now what you are able to do. Or is that just sales talk and means very little? When you compare how your product can do things now the JB3 can’t dream of…that means you had two years of not being able to do the same thing. Or are all of the new features just allowing you to refine a product as opposed to filling in ‘holes’?

I am actually serious and not trying to be condescending at all. God knows when I buy another car to drive for work my guy is getting new turbo’s and whatever flash/piggy that is the best all around product with little care for longevity.
      08-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
Before I ask my question I will preface it with Dinan is expensive and much slower than Vishnu's products.

So what you are saying is that your original product was lacking is many arenas? Does that include safety parameters? While I am not very technical in many ways when it comes to cars, as I have read like many other, about the evolution of your products into something that strikes me as very impressive today, it seems that your earlier products (while at the time we hailed as superior) couldn't possibly have been. I mean when Dinan says they recalibrated 2000 "things" "equations" or "processes" in the ECU, is that now what you are able to do. Or is that just sales talk and means very little? When you compare how your product can do things now the JB3 can’t dream of…that means you had two years of not being able to do the same thing. Or are all of the new features just allowing you to refine a product as opposed to filling in ‘holes’?

I am actually serious and not trying to be condescending at all. God knows when I buy another car to drive for work my guy is getting new turbo’s and whatever flash/piggy that is the best all around product with little care for longevity.
I don't think there was ever a point at which we didn't have a safety advantage over our competition. However, in the last few months since CANbus integration (a first for ANY tuning device that I know of), the advantage has grown by an order of magnitude. Some will argue that all that safety isn't necessary. Maybe or maybe not. But that's the nature of safety. You only need it when you need it

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
+1. If you haven't driven 9A7_R6 you haven't driven a JB3 tuned car.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

2 little piggies went to market
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

I think in the marketing perspective the flashes are giving the pigs swine flu at the moment but I cannot think that one is better than the other if the tune is the same.
      08-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
chiaobaby
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Basically you have the extra $$$ you can try everything but some of us have a budget and need just the basics. I feel all the tunes are excellent its just what you want and what you need are two different things . If you want more options and features you have to shellout some more $$$.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post

So what you are saying is that your original product was lacking is many arenas? Does that include safety parameters?
I think the procede has improved continuously in drivability, user adjustability, and safety. There has been no pause in R&D and then beta releases, from my perspective.

We have got to remember when I was runinng map 1.45 (and loving it, by the way) the engine was relatively brand new and we all knew we were taking risks as early adopters (including longevity risks and having to invest additional $ as improvements came out).

The risk is much less now, but the fun is even better with more saftey features, user tunability, map stages for different bolt-on mod levels, and variables that allow for a more refined tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
discostick
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 APLINE WHITE LCI

The popular piggybacks and even those that are not popular have been reliable for some time now. I think many of the new "safety features" are really designed to instill fear in those that don't have them, and persuade them to purchase a new piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #20
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostick View Post
The popular piggybacks and even those that are not popular have been reliable for some time now. I think many of the new "safety features" are really designed to instill fear in those that don't have them, and persuade them to purchase a new piggyback.
Wouldn't it be way easier just to offer owners of competing tunes a discount?
      08-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #21
discostick
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 APLINE WHITE LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Wouldn't it be way easier just to offer owners of competing tunes a discount?
It is easier to sell your existing customer base a new product than to win over customers who might be loyal to other products.

Customers who are using the JB3 for example are more likely to do their free update or try the GIAC flash tune which is completely new. They have avoided the V3 this long so its not likely they will switch now. On the other hand if you already have a Rev1 you have been indoctrinated in to the PROcede life and are more likely to upgrade to the Rev2 given compelling reasons. I believe many of the new features are designed to compel Rev1 users to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #22
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostick View Post
It is easier to sell your existing customer base a new product than to win over customers who might be loyal to other products.

Customers who are using the JB3 for example are more likely to do their free update or try the GIAC flash tune which is completely new. They have avoided the V3 this long so its not likely they will switch now. On the other hand if you already have a Rev1 you have been indoctrinated in to the PROcede life and are more likely to upgrade to the Rev2 given compelling reasons. I believe many of the new features are designed to compel Rev1 users to upgrade.
My mistake. I thought you meant he was trying to scare jb3 users into switching. Carry on.