E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Thinking to switch to a 335 coupe

08-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
V_therussian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 530 Xi Sport Manual

Thinking to switch to a 335 coupe

I've got a 2006 530Xi sport stick now and the car is severely underpowered for my liking. I've been looking at trading mine in for a 335 coupe sport stick and possibly doing a JB3 at some point later. I don't per se track, but I go into twisties and run my cars at, or close to 100% almost every weekend in the warm season. In the wet months I drive like a grandpa 99% of the time.

My biggest gripes with the 335 coupe so far are

1. I've heard people say it tends to overheat and go into limp mode in hard driving.

2. There is no factory LSD, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. My Xi obviously does not have an LSD, but since it is an Xi, there are differentials, so it handles beautifully in the twisties.

Can you guys please chime in?

Thanks
Mods: Alpina front w Racemesh, OEM Gloss black "nostrils", OEM "M" sideskirts, 19" BBS CK+Hankooks, H&R springs + Bilsten B8 dampers (1.4"front and 1.3" rear drop), RPI scoop+BMC filter, Hoen fogs, Short Shifter, OEM trunk finisher, OEM gloss black exhaust tips, and many many more, AND more to come

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
hjs1971
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m, 2012 m6 convertible

Just my $.02 but I drove a 525d Euro spec and liked it but I LOVE my 335xi coupe. It has more than enough power, even stock (despite what people on here might say, granted, I wouldn't mind 50 more hp from a PROcede but it is not necessary). I love the xi, sticks in all weather conditions and never under/oversteers. However, I did change the wheels from stock, I now have staggered front/back (225/18 front and 255/18 back) and Pirelli P-zero vs. the 17" all season crap it came with. I don't track my car but I'm sure it would do just fine. I haven't found a road this car couldn't handle with ease. If you need 4 doors, get a 535xi, if you just like to look cool and know you have a nice strong car, get a 335xi. Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
V_therussian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 530 Xi Sport Manual

@hjs1971: thanks for your input - every little bit helps. Its tough trying to imagine what living with the 335 coupe might be like.

So, people, No opinions on overheating issue?
Mods: Alpina front w Racemesh, OEM Gloss black "nostrils", OEM "M" sideskirts, 19" BBS CK+Hankooks, H&R springs + Bilsten B8 dampers (1.4"front and 1.3" rear drop), RPI scoop+BMC filter, Hoen fogs, Short Shifter, OEM trunk finisher, OEM gloss black exhaust tips, and many many more, AND more to come

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Don't know where the overheating idea came from.... I haven't read about too many owners having heat issues. Especially now that the 335i sport editions come standard with an oil cooler. I had a 328i coupe before my 335 and the 328 ran a few degrees hotter on average.
Stock, both the 3 series with sport package handle very well. I'm coming from a Nissan 350Z most recently and have as much fun driving the BMW(actually more since it's comfortable too). Not quite as "go Kart" like the Z but definitely responsive handling. There are many spring/shock or coilover options that will help tighten it up a bit if that's your thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Test drove a 528i before buying my 335i coupe and i can honestly say i would never get a 528, like you said it is severly severly underpowered. I did allthough, the day after getting the 335i, get a 535i cpo. Handling is surperb on the e92 i cant complain, The extra power is necessary!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

1) If you push it hard enough, it will go into limp with high oil temps. It's gotten close to limp for me on the track and I just ease up to keep it off limp mode. Only way I can think you can overheat on the street is driving hard while climbing a mountain in high temps??
2)I think the LSD is over-rated IMHO, I've heard differing opinions..some veteran track junkies say don't bother, while others say it's a must. Useful for power-sliding. If you run big tires in the rear like me, the most the inside tire will do is squeal a bit around a corner. (The stock RFTs are another story)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
1) If you push it hard enough, it will go into limp with high oil temps. It's gotten close to limp for me on the track and I just ease up to keep it off limp mode. Only way I can think you can overheat on the street is driving hard while climbing a mountain in high temps??
2)I think the LSD is over-rated IMHO, I've heard differing opinions..some veteran track junkies say don't bother, while others say it's a must. Useful for power-sliding. If you run big tires in the rear like me, the most the inside tire will do is squeal a bit around a corner. (The stock RFTs are another story)
A new BMW Performance kit will be available shortly will help with any cooling issues and add about 30 horses and torque..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

1. I don't know how hard you drive, but unless you drive it as hard as people track their cars, I wouldn't worry about it at all. 335's also have oil temp gauge so you can check your temp.

2. 335 also comes in xi. Some people shy away from the xi because the 335i is faster, but you coming from a 530xi, don't think you'll notice a thing. Personally never drove the 335xi so my advice is more just theory and common sense. BTW, since you're getting the coupe, it comes stock with ZSP so I can already guarantee more nimble handling than your 530.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

xi and i each have their place

want faster? get an i
want quicker? get an xi

if you stay in the 0-80 range (like I do), then the xi will perform better (~ 0-40) or similar (~ 40-80).
If you go faster, the i will clearly be better.

Which is why I got an xi - I couldn't care less about what goes on above ~80 mph on the street. It's my daily driver.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
A new BMW Performance kit will be available shortly will help with any cooling issues and add about 30 horses and torque..
Let's hope it works...not holding breath.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
racer01
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i sedan, 2011 M3 ZCP

I have some minor gripes with the 335i, but overheating and lack of a LSD are not very high on my list when used as a street car. Those are both issues if you are looking to use the car for lots of track days, but that doesn't sound like the case based on your post.

Used (even very aggressively) on the street in 100f temps, I haven't had anything close to overheating. The lack of LSD is only noticeable in certain situations. Although I think it is crazy that a $50k performance oriented BMW doesn't even have an LSD as an option, the electronic brake diff on my 09' does work better than most e-diffs. I have to drive "like a maniac" to notice the lack of LSD however, and even then it is a very minor issue that you only notice when you have all the electronic nannies turned off. I am getting older, so no more drift practicing on the way to work anyhow.

I used to be a track junkie, and have had M3's, Vettes, Spec miatas, etc. and I would really like it if the 335i was just a little more track capable, even though that is not what I bought it for. As it is, it is just a kick ass street car with great torque, great gas mileage, plenty comfortable and well appointed, and is fast enough to give my 07' vette a run for it's money on any given twisty mountian road.

My only significant gripes are the lack of a spare tire, the lack of a real oil dipstick, the apparent inability of BMW to offer an effective re-design of the poorly engineered High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). All fairly minor in my mind in the grand scheme of things, and the car has been wonderful otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I agree, I wish this 335i was a better "track" car. It is a bit annoying how BMW doesn't feel like it is a track car unless it is an M so they treat it as such. They figure if you want to race you will buy an M3, otherwise you don't need racecar items such as LSD, better suspension, track capable cooling, track-strong transmission, etc.

I wish I could buy an M3 equipped with an N54 engine I guess, of course with the problems solved as well like cooling and HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I have had my early production car retrofitted w/ an oil cooler (std on all cars w/ sport pkg now), and have not had an overheat issue even on the track. Prior to the retrofit, I would get alarmingly high temps. So I believe this is no longer an issue to worry about if you're just driving aggressively on the street.

I just installed a Wavetrac LSD in my car after feeling the limitations at my last track event. If you get a tune to start, there will be a noticeably difference. I'll post an update to my first impressions soon in my Wavetrac thread. Simple things like making a right turn at a stoplight feels much smoother. And traction control triggers much less on hard acceleration from the stoplight.

I have not tracked my car since installing the LSD, but even from the street driving experience, I'm eagerly anticipating the next event. To answer your question, no, it's not necessary to have an LSD. But it sure feels nice having one

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #14
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Beware of distortion of reality on here. There is no way no how to overheat a 335 driving on normal roads. You can't do it if they paid you to do it. You have to REALLY BEAT UP on the car mercilessly and even then only on a closed race track or road for the car to limp. You can't do it on a public road if you tried. Not even on the autobahn. Been there done that, trust me, just buy the car if you like it. Report back if you get it to overheat.
      08-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
I have had my early production car retrofitted w/ an oil cooler (std on all cars w/ sport pkg now), and have not had an overheat issue even on the track.
Not true

My car : 2009, sport package, NO OIL COOLER.

You actually have to get the 18" wheels to boot, THEN you get the oil cooler.

I found this out the hard way... after my dealer lied to me.
Dealer said "all new 335's come with an oil cooler, and a re-scaled oil temp guage".

IMO, you have to watch your back with BMW.
After getting wastegate rattle, and dealer telling me to get lost, I've got no faith in them or their warranty. Buy a BMW, good chance you're on your own.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0