E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why The Flash Tune Love Fest?

08-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
SchwarzOpsAZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Why The Flash Tune Love Fest?

There seems to be such a love fest going on for this flash tune but I just don't understand why. I searched but most people just say it's "smooth" what does that mean?

I'm not trying to discredit the GIAC flash tune, I really just want to understand the pros & cons since I just bought my PROcede right before the flash was available.

I would think there are some major drawbacks to a flash tune but please correct me if I'm wrong, 3 I thought of:

1. If I modify anything I have to get it re-flashed every time, and I can't do it myself, I have to drive to the other side of BFE (for me) to the one GIAC dealer to get it done and pay for it.

2. No map switching available right? So when it's 110 and I'm running 91 octane it's the same settings as when it's 75 and I have 100 octane in. Not to mention no valet mode.

3. I can't take it out when I go to the dealer for service. Even if they can't detect it now who's to say they won't figure it out later, then I'd need another re-flash to hide it again?

08-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Every few weeks something comes out and it becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread. Few weeks pass and then it's forgotten or it really isn't a big deal nemore. I remember when dinan came out it was the same thing. "it's smooth" , "its so fast" etc. and then the piggys jus got stronger and cheaper. Until a company comes out with a flash that puts down the same numbers as a piggy and comes out with a handheld unit like Cobb I wouldn't go the flash route. You did good by getting the procede.
      08-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Just a phase lol... Search Jim Conforti and the shark flash/edit.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Well, let's think about it...
It seems like the only flash that was around was Dinan but that was 2k and the power wasn't the best.

So now, ESS, GIAC, LET, etc comes out with their versions and they are much less than the DINAN flash and the power is great.

I totally understand that the first reaction is to question if something is as good as something really is, but sometimes you just have to consider the source.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

at least something positive will happen with all this flashes coming out at 800 USD or less. Shiv will have to lower the price otherwise nobody will buy procede anymore.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

I am hoping the flashes react similar to stock. I imagine stock programing adjusts timing based on incoming air temp and density, thus a profile for each environment condition. Piggy's add a correction which is constant until the user changes it.

What i don't understand is how they adjust to octane per ESS claims... how would it adjust without trial and error from the knock sensor??
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Andrew@GIAC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I am hoping the flashes react similar to stock. I imagine stock programing adjusts timing based on incoming air temp and density, thus a profile for each environment condition.
This is correct. As temps, load and knock sensor noise change so will the timing on a GIAC program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
how would it adjust without trial and error from the knock sensor??
This is true as well. Even OEM programs "ride the nock sensors" abit. With higher knock, correction will go up, or the DME will kick to a lower map. You have multiple timing maps in your computer to cover the range of all premium octane levels in a given market. This is one of the reasons that a car on 94 octane will make more power than one on 91 octane.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@GIAC View Post
You have multiple timing maps in your computer to cover the range of all premium octane levels in a given market. This is one of the reasons that a car on 94 octane will make more power than one on 91 octane.
Nice info ! May I ask what is the highest octane for which there is a separate map in the ECU ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzOpsAZ View Post
There seems to be such a love fest going on for this flash tune but I just don't understand why. I searched but most people just say it's "smooth" what does that mean?

I'm not trying to discredit the GIAC flash tune, I really just want to understand the pros & cons since I just bought my PROcede right before the flash was available.

I would think there are some major drawbacks to a flash tune but please correct me if I'm wrong, 3 I thought of:

1. If I modify anything I have to get it re-flashed every time, and I can't do it myself, I have to drive to the other side of BFE (for me) to the one GIAC dealer to get it done and pay for it.

2. No map switching available right? So when it's 110 and I'm running 91 octane it's the same settings as when it's 75 and I have 100 octane in. Not to mention no valet mode.

3. I can't take it out when I go to the dealer for service. Even if they can't detect it now who's to say they won't figure it out later, then I'd need another re-flash to hide it again?

My $.02.

1. Definitely correct. My GIAC is 20 minutes away but the hours aren't the best. Hard to get there in time. However, I know GIAC is developing different stages for bolt on mods, and I assume they adapt to the mods you have installed. Also, how many times do you really expect to have to reflash? For me, I could see once every 6 months, but to me, this is the same hassle as having to go into my ECU and mod my piggy. They also will have map switching available, which brings me to your next point.

2. I've seen the switcher and it's actually very cool. Plugs into your OBDII port and you're able to set different maps for octane levels, and of course, a valet mode. There is also a stock mode. This isn't out yet but is supposed to come within a few months. In regards to temperature, that's something I'm not sure of. I know that the tune detects the ambient temp and adjusts boosts levels accordingly. Definitely not as much flexibility in regards to the millions of maps (and customization) that some piggys offer, but for me this doesn't really come into play.

3. The way I see it, it's all about your SA. Being honest isn't always the best way to go about it, but if you have the informal conversation I believe you can feel out the situation. In the future, all tunes will be in jeopardy of voiding your warranty. Guess what, though? If you don't have an issue, you shouldn't have to worry about too much. I've never belonged to a dealer that randomly assessed my car for warranty issues. Now, if I through a CEL, that's a different story. It's a waste of the dealer's time and money screen my car for irrelevant issues that haven't arisen.

Please offer insight.
      08-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

It's nice to have all these flash options available now. I went with Dinan, but that was before I knew of anything else out there... I don't understand what you mean by maybe having to reflash everytime you mod your car, various bolt on mods will compliment/enhance your tune whether it be flash or piggy.. my Dinan even adjusts to various octane and loves race gas!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
discostick
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 APLINE WHITE LCI

The flash tune offers something new and exciting, potentially big power gains with none of the piggyback BS. Although many may go that route and refund/piggyback again due to boredom. We're all sort of used to regular updates and improvements.

I think it really all depends on the next few dynos and track times. If they are competitive with the top of the line piggybacks in terms of power I see mass exodus from piggybacks. If they are not competitive, or questionable in any way, I think the community will decide it was over hyped and there will be revolt.
Appreciate 0