E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please help...electrical gremlin has returned

08-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Topshelf1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Coupe/2006 325xiT

Please help...electrical gremlin has returned

Hey guys, about 2 months ago I posted this thread were when I attempted to start the wife's car after work, the entire electrical system shut down, locking out all functions including removing the key from the dash. A jump start solved the issue, so I thought maybe I left a light on by accident or something like that. Well about 3 weeks ago we were heading out to dinner and another odd thing happened. I parked the car, hit the Stop button and the electrical system froze up again, but this time I was able to get it to restart after a minute. Same issue when it started up where the AWD and ABS warning lights and messages were screaming at me. A quick drive around the lot, shut down and start-up once again cleared all issues and the car was fine, but I've been pretty nervous since then. Well this morning my wife calls in a panic. She's driving to work on the PA Turnpike and all of a sudden she hears a pop, then the entire electrical system shuts down and reboots with the same messages. The engine continued to run, and everything did come back up in a minute, but this can not be good or safe. I was originally thinking the battery might be going dead, but this is obviously not a battery issue at this point. My other concern was that the day this first started I hit a pothole with the right front tire so hard I thought the wheel came through the fender. Don't know if that could have damaged something or knocked something loose. The wife just called and said after shutting the car down and restarting it, all messages are gone again. I realize this should go into the dealer at this point, but I'm just hoping someone might have an idea before I drop a ton of cash while they guess at things.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Did you ever get your car fixed from the incident you mention in your linked thread? You said you'd hit a pothole hard enough to knock the car out of alignment and get the warning lights. Did a dealer look at the car? It could be something like a damaged steering angle sensor from the prior incident.
      08-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

dont write off battery issue.

i've read a couple other posts where the battery lost a cell and was running at 11volts or whatever other then the designed voltage. and it caused a whole bunch of weird problems .

Get the battery voltage tested and have a load test performed.

ppp

p.s. how much is a battery for our bmws ? $500 ?
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Topshelf1
Private
Rep

No, I didn't have the car looked after the last incident. I had intended on replacing the struts first, but just never got around to it. Plus the wife never commented on the car pulling, which did seem to correct itself, so I just left it alone. Starting to think I'm going to have to buck up this time and have it looked at because it definitely sounds like a flaky sensor could be an issue.

You're not serious about the battery being $500, are you? I did check the voltage and it was normal, though I didn't do a load test. I'm more then willing to replace the battery if it's priced normally as the first line of attack as it has 60k miles on it, so it could be going. I better see what I can dig up real quick.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Topshelf1
Private
Rep

Hey guys, is the 49DL still the standard replacement battery?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Topshelf1
Private
Rep

Just found something so basic it makes me sick. Figured I'd measure the OEM battery and make sure I had quick access to it before running up to Autozone for a replacement. While in there, I noticed that the Negative cable wasn't even bolted down!!! It was just flopping around on the terminal. This had to be done during the Sirius install nightmare. No idea if this is the root cause of these issues, but it's definitely a possibility. Wife also mentioned that the car has been hard to start lately. I tightened it up and we'll be out running errands today testing it. I'll be thrilled but annoyed if that's all it was.
Appreciate 0