E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gears and Window noises.

08-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
AcMilan714
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i, e36 325is.

Gears and Window noises.

Hey everyone.

I have asked about 2nd gear being a little tuff to get into before on a MT. Have you guys had any problems sometimes at traffic lights getting into 1st?

This 1st and 2nd gear on this car is bugging me big time. If anyone had this prblem, how did you explain it to the dealer?

My second problem is my front passenger door seems like it has something loose in it. There is a suttle sound when driving over small bumps or even on normal roads. Im not expecting it to be silent like a lexus but for a 2 year old car seems very weird.

I hope you guys can help. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
RedDinan335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Red 335i Coupe

Please explain your 1st and 2nd issue in more detail.

For instance:
Idle in neutral at stoplight with clutch out = things moving in the gearbox. If you were to try 1st immediately after pushing in the clutch you may experience a delay while the inards gearbox slow in order to engage 1st gear. If you try 2nd gear first then try 1st gear it seems to help.
Same goes with R. At times you will start your car and try to engage R and things will not be aligned perfectly and it's hard to get into R. In this instance you would briefly let the clutch out *brake on and no pressure on the shift lever*, push the clutch in and engage R.

Your issue to 2nd may be a problem with the clutch action combined with the timing of the lever action. If you hear/feal a grind this is a timing issue or a possible problem with the syncro.

Anyway please describle the problem further and I'm happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDinan335i View Post
At times you will start your car and try to engage R and things will not be aligned perfectly and it's hard to get into R. In this instance you would briefly let the clutch out *brake on and no pressure on the shift lever*, push the clutch in and engage R.
I find that letting out and pushing the clutch back in is not necessary. What i found out is that when this happens, and you can feel that the Reverse gear or the first gear isnt engaged properly, you can lightly push the shifter into the direction of the gear while SLOWLY letting out the clutch until you feel the shifter fall into the gear. If you let out the clutch too fast you'll hear the gearbox grind. once the gear is engaged then you can give it gas and start moving.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
RedDinan335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
I find that letting out and pushing the clutch back in is not necessary. What i found out is that when this happens, and you can feel that the Reverse gear or the first gear isnt engaged properly, you can lightly push the shifter into the direction of the gear while SLOWLY letting out the clutch until you feel the shifter fall into the gear. If you let out the clutch too fast you'll hear the gearbox grind. once the gear is engaged then you can give it gas and start moving.
Great tip.
You are correct. This is basically the same affect as what I mentioned. In fact that's how I do it too. The idea is to slightly move the gears for proper alignment.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
AcMilan714
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i, e36 325is.

Yea i have gone to second and back to first and that works. But i dont think i should be doing that on a car with only 28k miles on it do u?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
RedDinan335i
Private First Class
Rep

The issue here is that 1st gear and R don't have syncros. Which means that if they aren't properly aligned you have to adjust the position of the gear. I believe this is the case with most manual transmissions. So I really believe there is no problem with your MT. It's just the nature of the beast.

By hitting 2nd first your actually moving the gears, which is why that works. I have to admit I seldom have any issues with 1st or R, but I've also had 20+ years with MT's and may not even notice at this point.
Appreciate 0