E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > UUC SSK and DSSR for the e90 XI?

08-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi MonacoBlue 6spdmanual

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
UUC SSK and DSSR for the e90 XI?

Hey guys, I am gearing up for a CDV and SSK upgrade for my recent CPO e90XI acquisition. I am a month into the car and clearly the clutch/shifter is where I need to start as the OEM shifting feel pretty much sucks.

Tonight I have been reading all sorts of kudos on the UUC shifter kit on search results. I came across this old post here from April 09 and wondered if anyone has an update on this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendalf 04/09 here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253917

Hello all, I want to buy the UUC Evo 3 SSK and the DSSR but I don't see any specific part number for the DSSR for my car. Anyone has already bought it and know it? Thank you!
Please let me know if you have scored one or if the 330i SSK and DSSR work fine on our e90XIs. I have read conflicting comments so I thought I should check.

Am very interested in both the SSK and the DSSR but when I went on the UUC site tonight it doesn't appear that there is a link for the e90 XI.

Does anyone know if either (hopefully both) are available for the e90 XI and if so how to order this from them...?

Thanks!
Yosh

BTW: Here is the UUC page where the 330I UUC evo 3 SSK is listed but it doesn't say anything about whether it WILL or WILL NOT work with an e90 330XI
~ I'm new to Seattle so pls drop a PM. BMW CCA#424403
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
GOT THE UUC EVO3 TODAY.

It's a heavy little bugger and comes with very thorough documentation and a whole bunch of small little parts.

now I gotta just get some balls and open the bugger up over the long weekend.

i would feel alot better digging into this if I knew some of the other 330XI e90 drivers out there had done it before.

everyone who posted endorsing the UUC seemed to be driving a 335XI.

Are we talking the same tranny here between the 335XI and the 330XI?

thanks for the PMs some have sent. can anyone else care chime in yea or nay...?

CHEERS and here's for a great long labor day weekend.

Last edited by jdsboston; 09-02-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Zink330xi
Napoleon
United_States
Rep
Drives: the TiAg Beast

Hey Amigo,

I have a similar car (06 330xi cpo) and have similar complaints. My God, what was BMW thinking with the linkage?! Actually put the bastard in the shop a couple times. Never driven ANYTHING like it.

I have been reading every article between the web and mags (from the US and Europe) that I could get my hands on for the past four months trying to correct. As far as I can tell, the SSK and tranny for the 335 are different than the one for the 330. Makes sense with the different power and gearing. The major problem that I hear is rubbing of the metal and scoring of the linkage. With just a year run of our cars, they just don't make much for us vs the 335s.

Glad you got the cojones to try this, I certainly don't. Keep us updated. Wish you lots of luck!
      09-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink330xi View Post
Hey Amigo, I have a similar car (06 330xi cpo) and have similar complaints. My God, what was BMW thinking with the linkage?! Actually put the bastard in the shop a couple times. Never driven ANYTHING like it.
Man Zink, thanks for putting down a few keystrokes on this. i feel as if i have met my long lost brother as this manual tranny is the devils work. truly there are german engineers who should be forced to drive a buick lucerne the rest of their days for putting this tranny in our otherwise wondrous cars.

Just to give you a sense of how bad and how tortuous this has been for lil old yosh, I was previously driving a completely locked down VR6 5MT drivetrain mounted on poly and hard rubber engine and tranny mounts. i pop the clutch at redline and the thing is motionless. you just don't get any movement.

The 330XI 6MT in 1st to 2nd in anything sub2.5k on the tach is just freakin brutal. elephant on roller skates clanky smarmy AGH...

Puhleeeeese...

i am prepared to talk by phone and would like to get some links from you on what you have read.

let's get after this little fucker.

i am not letting it ruin my driving experience.

yosh

PS_ at least we don't have HPFPs crapping out on us I guess. every gen has its weak links but did it have to be the shifter on the one I bought?? LOL!!

Last edited by jdsboston; 09-03-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
Exclamation I think we have conclusive proof here...

Quote:
Hey Amigo, I have a similar car (06 330xi cpo) and have similar complaints. My God, what was BMW thinking with the linkage?! Actually put the bastard in the shop a couple times. Never driven ANYTHING like it.
Hey Zink et al, I have what I think is conclusive schematics that show that the 335XI and the 330XI share most if not all of the same gear shifter components. I am not a pro tech by any means so if someone who is familiar with gearboxes and shift linkages could compare these two and give us a "yea" or "nay" that would be fantastic. Thanks to BB for pointing me in this direction (comparing schematics) as I feel confident if all you guys are running the UUC in the 335XI with no probs and the 330XI is as similar if not identical as it looks below that I will have the same results. Just for kicks I am also including the 330I shifter linkage below too so you can see how different they are, particularly the stick itself has different dimensions... ==

Please let me know what you think!

/Josh

Side-by-side gear linkages of the 330xi vs. the 335xi...el mismo, no??

Now the 330i...

Last edited by jdsboston; 09-03-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Zink330xi
Napoleon
United_States
Rep
Drives: the TiAg Beast

You have indeed found a brotha-from-anotha-motha on this!

Nearly $hat myself reading the Lucerne comment! Indeed! My retired inlaws have 3 Buicks (go figure) that I help them with. Park Avenue, Lacrosse, and----- wait for it-----

You guessed it- Lucerne! Invariably, I end up driving them somewhere in one of those, monthly. As much as I do like them- odd, huh?!- it is like my own private hell. As soon as I get back home, gotta take the beast out "to get the taste out of my mouth," so to speak. And I digress....

Either way, we can do more with two heads than one. Let's sync up and get this rolling. I'll dive into the archives and see what substantial info I can get together!

09-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
Quote:
As soon as I get back home, gotta take the beast out
BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH

That's freakin awesome. I love in-laws man.

Okay so I think we're looking pretty damn good as the schems above show that the 335XI and 330XI are pretty much the same as far as I can tell. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from the chaps driving 335XIs that the UUC is rock solid. It's also nice and heavy and I think it's gonna be my best mod of 2009 from what I have read so far. The only thing making me hesitant is that cricket sounds abound when I ask if there are any 330XIs out there pushing gears around with the UUC?? .... *peeeep peeeeep peeeep peeeep peeeeep*

uhhhh Huh-Huh .... uhhh...beavis i think we're in a wurmm-hole...

see what i mean?? : i think we are on our own here bro. that's okay i don't mind the road less traveled as long as it gets me there...

please PM me any other ideas links you may have come across that were really helpful and very technical as well as any good DIYS. I am queing up (1) a UUC swap and (2) a CDV delete/swap if I can man up this weekend and reach for my scalpel so to speak...

let's slay this little bugger.

/yosh

Last edited by jdsboston; 09-04-2009 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0