E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How do you keep your Jet Black from getting swirls and rock chips?

08-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
e90M3
Rep
Drives: RX300

How do you keep your Jet Black from getting swirls and rock chips?

Which products do you use?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Only options on the rock chips are:
1. Dont Drive
2. A Car bra clear or standard (dirt gets under the standard it will scratch your car)

Swirls
High quality washing equipment. And NO NO NO Automatic Car washers. 100% high quality USA made cotton towels with decrotive trim and edges cut off. They have nylon which scratches. Use these for drying polishing or washing. A high quality sheepskin mit is an alternative for washing. Use 2 buckets when washing. One to rince another to soap up the mit. If you want to go microfiber towels for drying and polishing I recomment www.pakshak.com or www.exceldetail.com they make some of the best microfiber towels. I would pass on the microfiber washing mits.

The best way to dry your car is not to touch it. Use a leaf blower to blow it off. Contact with just about any fabric will cause some scratches over time. Air does not scratch!!!

This only reduces the chances of marring and swirls. But my 3 year old car looks brand new.

great place to do research on all of these topics is http://autopia.org

Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The only sure fire way is to keep it in a pure air environment and never drive it!!

With any sort of black car you're gonna end up with marks in the paint! I'm sure even the most careful owner is gonna end up with marks on it! But you can minimise the amount by careful washing, clean cloths, etc...

Stone chips - what can you do short of covering your car in a protective "layer"??
Appreciate 0