E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A takeon positive racial discrimination and why it is bad for those it tries to hel p

11-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
A takeon positive racial discrimination and why it is bad for those it tries to hel p

NOW THIS is not my post. I found it on another forum.. It is one guys views on an interesting subject. The forum is full of plebs so I thought it may stir some interest on here.

''I thought some people on here might like to give their opinion of my stance on "positive discrimination" and why I think its ultimately bad for the very people it tries to help.

Lets set the scene with an example.

On interviewing a random selection of officers within fairtowns police force, I observe that there is a low level of racial hatred among the white officers, in fact most view the few black officers within the force as good officers.

There are 100 jobs in fairtown police force going.

1000 applicants apply
900 of the applicants are white
100 of the applicants are black

Fairtown has just introduced a positive discrimination policy to try and ensure proportional representation within the police force, as a result, it needs to make sure that of the 100 new recruits it takes on
50 are black
50 are white

The applicants that apply, black and white both have an equal distribution of suitable and unsuitable people, 10% of the applicants in this case.

So there are
90 suitable white candidates out of 900
10 suitable black candidates out of 100

The jobs are given though in line with fairtowns policy as such:
50 of the jobs go to suitable white candidates
10 of the jobs to to suitable black candidates
40 of the jobs go to unsuitable black candidates

After 3 years, the candidates are looked at, and it is found that on average:
the 50 white officers have had 3 promotions or special assignments each
the 10 suitable black officers have also had 3 promotions or special assignments each
the 40 unsuitable black officers, taken on to make things fair though, have had no promotions or special assignments.

Fairtown is condemened in the press for holding back black officers

After another 3 years, in line with fairtowns new "equal promotion prospects" rules, all of the officers have now had the same number of promotions and special assignments, as a result the black officers, 80% of whom are unsuitable have become known within the force as being mainly useless and incompetant, white officers assigned to the 4 black senior officers who are useless at their jobs resent the fact that incompetant people have been promoted beyong them.

On interviewing a random selection of officers within fairtowns police force, I observe that there is a high level of racial hatred among the white officers, who view their black colleagues as a liability to the force.

Congratulations, the policies put in place to remove the low level of racism have succeeded in turning it into a high level of racism.

So is my example how you view the effects of "positive discimination" too, or do you think it has some big flaws where I have misunderstood the subject? ''

Whats your thoughts?
      11-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Where's Fairtown?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not on Google maps
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Where's Fairtown?
County Durham, Ireland
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Where's Fairtown?
It might be a metaphor for a fictional village or real, but it doesn't matter.

At any rate, We have this ongoing conversation in the States (USA). As a minority who experienced the turmoil and "transformation" enacted by the social experimentation of the federal government eager to rectify a situation with "good intentions," I see our current policies as an EPIC FAIL!!!

WHY? Because new policies need time to take hold.

Before any change could be implemented, the foundation must be laid. THIS TAKES TIME...Everyone should have the equal opportunity to quality education to meet simple, certifiable requirements. As long as there is "equal opportunity" to available programs, the government has met its requirements. The rest is up to the individual. To paraphrase some adages, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink the Kool-aid...or, give "them" (whoever they are) a fish and they will be full for the day; teach them to fish and they will be full for the rest of their lives...and won't need your interference...LOL!

Testing and metrics to qualify candidates must be followed. Those who fail to meet minimum, objective requirements must try again and again until they can be considered for a position or promotion. All things being equal, the most qualified should be considered for promotion. Objective requirements that are free from discrimination enable all qualified candidates to compete on a level playing field.....hmmmm.....sounds like Golf....

OVER TIME, the foundation that was laid will sort itself out. WHY are the majority of NBA and NFL players minorities? Sports are more glamorous and if one has the physical attributes for success in that arena, why not? It doesn't mean anything. Should we use the same criteria and attempt to equalize the NBA and NFL to better reflect diversity? DUH...

Why is Tiger Woods the best golfer in the world? Because he works hard at it. I don't see him other than the greatest golfer in the world today. Talent trumps many things; talent with hard work trumps all. If you're good at something, you will succeed....if you want it bad enough. Tiger had to qualify like everyone else. The rules of Golf are unbending...

Unfortunately, in the zeal to "make things right," there was a mad dash to prematurely install unqualified candidates over qualified candidates, and over time, this created resentment. Imagine if Tiger Woods were rated the top golfer in the world, but he didn't have the tools to justify that rating, all for the sake of diversity...resentment?....u betcha....ridicule?...u betcha...

I believe resentment trumps racism, but some mistakenly see resentment, which I think is color-blind, as racism. I must admit that resentment could lead to the vilification of everything about the person, including tasteless remarks and ridicule about family, heritage, upbringing and.....yes....race. Face it, it is purely human nature....you know....your mother wears army boots kinda thing?

Getting everyone up to speed through proper training and education takes time. Until then, social, legal and objective requirements must not be compromised. Nobody thought this need to reflect diversity (such a stupid PC issue) through, and in promoting unqualified candidates, it tarnished the reputation of those "unjustly" promoted and created an atmosphere of skepticism about their true qualifications....until they either grew into it OVER TIME or were kicked upstairs to remove them from the festering situation.

In other words, it makes the one promoted look bad because the person who may have needed more seasoning and training was thrust into a situation where there was no possible room for success, and it makes the program look bad because it forever makes those promoted under the program suspect--a no-win situation doomed to failure.

I prefer to be promoted based upon my skills and abilities, not to meet a quota. Keep me back if I don't qualify. That should make me work harder if I really want it. Nobody gives me a break; I don't want one. I want to know that I did it my way or no way. I am not a victim.

Somewhere I read or heard that the road to ruin is paved with good intentions.....or was that the journey from tee to green is littered with many divots?

Bottom line: Judge on the content of character, not on the color of skin....or, everyone should adopt the rules of Golf into their lives...

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570

Last edited by flip4335; 11-09-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Carl, what's you response to that?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK Carlos.

Always has been.

I suspect that thing was written by some BNP moron to wind up Daily Mail readers.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I highly doubt the uk has racial discrimination like we do. Heck, every single relationship on dr who is interracial. I cant think of ONE interracial relationship on american tv, yet we have a higher minority rate.

If the black cops in the uk dont work as good as the white, then so be it. Or vice versa. Its about individual talent, not what color we were randomly born as.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I highly doubt the uk has racial discrimination like we do. Heck, every single relationship on dr who is interracial. I cant think of ONE interracial relationship on american tv, yet we have a higher minority rate.

If the black cops in the uk dont work as good as the white, then so be it. Or vice versa. Its about individual talent, not what color we were randomly born as.
Nice post
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I knew of a Police officer who claimed he was discriminated against because he is white and male basically. He sucessfully proved he was the most qualified and experienced applicant and won his claim.

Absolutely no way should promotion be given 'to obtain the equality badge' within any organisation.

You can please some of the people some of the time etc.........

If you're the best person for the job then you deserve it........simple imo, no matter what your colour, sexual preference or disablility.

But I'm thinking of starting some new fangled religion so I can claim religious holidays from work. Sounds fair.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I knew of a Police officer who claimed he was discriminated against because he is white and male basically. He sucessfully proved he was the most qualified and experienced applicant and won his claim.
He won, because positive discrimination is illegal.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
He won, because positive discrimination is illegal.
Whats positive discrimination?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Whats positive discrimination?
The opposite of negative discrimination.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The opposite of negative discrimination.
How can you discriminate positively? Isnt that an oxymoron? I dont get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Postive discrimination refers to policies that take race, ethnicity, or sex into consideration in an attempt to promote equal opportunity or increase ethnic or other forms of diversity. The focus of such policies ranges from employment and education to public contracting and health programs.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Postive discrimination refers to policies that take race, ethnicity, or sex into consideration in an attempt to promote equal opportunity or increase ethnic or other forms of diversity. The focus of such policies ranges from employment and education to public contracting and health programs.
Oh ok. So you get a job or promoted based on your random birth color and NOT whether you are the best, hardest working, most qualified person. I see. America = positive discrimination (affirmative action)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
But I'm thinking of starting some new fangled religion so I can claim religious holidays from work. Sounds fair.
A religion that hold holidays on days with "U" in the name.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok. So you get a job or promoted based on your random birth color and NOT whether you are the best, hardest working, most qualified person. I see. America = positive discrimination (affirmative action)
Yep affirmative action - completely illegal in the UK.

Which is why I'm struggling to understand why someone felt the need to write a 50 line argument explaining why it shouldn't be allowed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #19
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Regardless.... id like to think i have my job because im good at it, not because my face fits and i fill a quota!