New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

11-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Painted Rear Roll Bar Covers

In a previous post we shared information about painting the rear roll bar covers:

A number of people asked for closer views, so here they are:

As you can see, the "match" depends a lot on the angle of the light. Generally speaking, I would say they are shinier than the front cover, but not in a noticeable, obtrusive way. We certainly highly prefer this treatment over the silver look.

Hope this has helped.

Best regards,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
MilitaryE89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, 2009 sDrive30i

not bad
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

I think this looks MUCH better than the stock covers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Do the covers snap-off / snap-on?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
MilitaryE89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, 2009 sDrive30i

this would look especially good on orion silver cars...the stock paint of the roll bars really clash with that paint
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Maaij
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4

Do you have a color code of the paint?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

EandS,

It looks like the rear part of your roll bars do have a texture. This looks great, better than the standard smooth gray ones. How was it done? Multiple sprays?

EdP
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryE89 View Post
this would look especially good on orion silver cars...the stock paint of the roll bars really clash with that paint
I agree with you which is why I am having my roll bars painted Orion Silver to match my car. It was suppose to happen before I took delivery, but they couldn't find any roll bar covers in the states and they had to order them from Germany. They were reluctant to take off the roll bar back covers to paint without another set because they tend to break when removed.

I am picking it up this morning and will bring it back to have the backs of the roll bars replaced after they get them and paint them.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Roadstergal, pics please!

Yours is the 2nd I've heard of being painted, the other was all black which was nice. But I think going with the body color is very clever!

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-21-2009 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The professional painter who did the work first lightly sanded the original finish and then used a truck bed coating from O’Reilly Auto Parts to provide the textured finish and color that are seen in the photos (should be pretty tough apart from all else!). He sprayed the finish using the version of the product shown at the previous link. However, we've noticed that product is also available already in an aerosol form and would guess it would produce similar results.

We wanted to mention again that our dealer told us there is a special tool used to remove the roll bar covers which prevents breakage of the cover and its "clasps".

Best regards,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
The professional painter who did the work first lightly sanded the original finish and then used a truck bed coating from O’Reilly Auto Parts to provide the textured finish and color that are seen in the photos (should be pretty tough apart from all else!). He sprayed the finish using the version of the product shown at the previous link. However, we've noticed that product is also available already in an aerosol form and would guess it would produce similar results.

We wanted to mention again that our dealer told us there is a special tool used to remove the roll bar covers which prevents breakage of the cover and its "clasps".

Best regards,
Ed
Maybe it's obvious to others (but I have to ask), so you didn't have the painter do both halves with the same treatment, or did the two halves just come out different?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Only the back covers which were originally silver were painted.

On the subject of painting the covers to match the car's finish, we would encourage those considering it to spend a little time thinking about what's to be achieved. From our perspective, the color of the interior leather plays significantly into the consideration. In our case we thought the original silver on the back and black on the front looked incredibly tacky, and the silver contrasted way too much with the black interior we chose. That's what drove our decision. If you can, try to imagine our Crimson Red car with the rear covers painted Crimson Red - not very nice at all, at least to us. Obviously, it's all in the eye of the beholder and there's no one right answer.

Best regards,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

On the subject of painting the covers to match the car's finish, we would encourage those considering it to spend a little time thinking about what's to be achieved. From our perspective, the color of the interior leather plays significantly into the consideration. In our case we thought the original silver on the back and black on the front looked incredibly tacky, and the silver contrasted way too much with the black interior we chose. That's what drove our decision. If you can, try to imagine our Crimson Red car with the rear covers painted Crimson Red - not very nice at all, at least to us. Obviously, it's all in the eye of the beholder and there's no one right answer.

Best regards,
Ed
True, Crimson Red roll bars would indeed look very tacky. In my case the regular silver really clashes with the Orion Silver. I have seen the backs of the roll bar covers painted Orion Silver on another poster's car and it looked amazing. I would never dream of painting roll bars to match the color of the car, but in my case, it is only a different shade of silver and it does look good. This is my fourth Z and I have never thought about painting the backs of the roll bar covers on any of my other Z cars. In this case the roll bar covers painted Orion Silver will do the car a world of good and not look tacky in the least, but actually looks more classy. I am a fanatic about my cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

shouldn't you be on your way to the dealership?
      11-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Maybe it's obvious to others (but I have to ask), so you didn't have the painter do both halves with the same treatment, or did the two halves just come out different?
The roll bar covers come in two halves, front and back. The fronts are black and the backs are silver. I am only painting the back and going from a regular silver color to the Orion Silver. The regular silver clashes with the Orion. My dealer ordered me two backs and they are picking up the tab. The insist that ninety percent of the time, they break when removed. They said they have experienced this when installing wind screens.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Best regards,
Ed
I agree with you the black does look nice with your interior color, and is a nice contrast with the red body color.

But I also believe the roll bar cover color extending from the black package shelf/trunk lid interface is the overriding factor. I believe BMW missed the mark here and should have colored them black regardless of interior or body color.

Roadstergals' choice will be a far better combo than the factory, and should be very unique.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Roadstergal, pics please!

Yours is the 2nd I've heard of being painted, the other was all black which was nice. But I think going with the body color is very clever!

I will post pics when I have them installed. I thought I would have them on with delivery, but that isn't going to happen for reasons I have already mentioned.

I agree with another poster that stated that the backs of roll bars painted to match exterior colors would probably not look that great. I truly believe that Orion Silver is the only exception to the rule.
Appreciate 0