E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > small problems...leak,whistle, sore neck

11-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

small problems...leak,whistle, sore neck

06 certified 330xi

whistle: only when fan is at low speeds, not consistent, higher speeds seem to decrease the whistle but it comes back...whether its heat or AC there is a faint whistle coming through my vents...thoughts? if it were to be a fan regulator or fan motor bearing or whatever, would that be considered "heating and cooling systems" as specified in the CPO warranty?! or is the "heating and cooling systems" only specific towards engine components?! odd

leak: check pics below...i stole them from another thread because i have the same questions and the answers were not clear...all bmws that i have checked (family members) do not have this gap in their windshield...mine does...it runs the entire length. In bad bad downpours there seems to be leak in my passenger floor and only my passenger floor (from several drops to a puddle...well not a puddle per say because the leak is expected if im driving in a downpour so i throw a shirt or towel down to prevent a puddle from forming...but you get the point) if i decide to run through a car wash (the equivalent of dumping buckets of water directly through the "gap" i see a leak...my mechanix mentioned something about a vapor barrior but i dont like that theory...i have a fregggin gap like a half inch to an inch !!

now if only i can get my neck better...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
1smooth6
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i w/ZSP,ZPP,Xenon

Has your windshield been replaced?

On my 06 325i this trim piece is tight against the w/s...but...

Typically the w/s sits in a bead of sealant against the steel body all the way around for waterproofing...I think the plastic trim piece w/ the rubber edge you have pictured is for aesthetics only. It appears the glass technician didn't re-install the trim properly or broke the plastic hooks(?) that hold it in place. He also may not have sealed the w/s properly causing your leak, imho...Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
06 certified 330xi

whistle: only when fan is at low speeds, not consistent, higher speeds seem to decrease the whistle but it comes back...whether its heat or AC there is a faint whistle coming through my vents...thoughts? if it were to be a fan regulator or fan motor bearing or whatever, would that be considered "heating and cooling systems" as specified in the CPO warranty?! or is the "heating and cooling systems" only specific towards engine components?! odd

leak: check pics below...i stole them from another thread because i have the same questions and the answers were not clear...all bmws that i have checked (family members) do not have this gap in their windshield...mine does...it runs the entire length. In bad bad downpours there seems to be leak in my passenger floor and only my passenger floor (from several drops to a puddle...well not a puddle per say because the leak is expected if im driving in a downpour so i throw a shirt or towel down to prevent a puddle from forming...but you get the point) if i decide to run through a car wash (the equivalent of dumping buckets of water directly through the "gap" i see a leak...my mechanix mentioned something about a vapor barrior but i dont like that theory...i have a fregggin gap like a half inch to an inch !!

now if only i can get my neck better...
I cannot tell you anything about the CPO warranties, but this is what my 330xi E90 does:
1) No leaks in rain, car wash.
2) No noticeable whistling noise similar to what you describe - the ventilation just makes the usual noise that the fans make.
Appreciate 0