E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > another sign of the times

11-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
justice
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
another sign of the times

I'm a member of gold's gym, or I should say I was until this morning. I pulled up into an almost desolate parking lot (should've been my first sign) parked and walked up to the door where a small gathering of other "members" were reading a sign that the gym had been closed and that we would be notified by email or phone where our memberships would still be valid, of course this has yet to happen. As I was walking back to my car someone from another gym was trying to sell me a membership to his gym that was 15 more minutes away, nice.

My problem is not with the gym closing, I understand that things happen. My problem is that there was no advance notice, the gym was open yesterday, and not today. Now I'm trying to cancel my membership before they automatically deduct it from my account, but since the gym is closed and there's no one there to answer the phone I'm not sure who to call.

330i Sport Package, 6spd, Terra interior.... suspension, wheels, and tint coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

call your bank and tell them not to allow it, and to note it on your acct.. that way if they do, it cn be a charge back and no fee's for you
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

gold's gym doesnt have a website? there should be some type of way to contact corporate. are they individual franchises or corporate owned?

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
justice
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I finally got an email today that my membership has been transferred to another gym, so I have to go to the other gym to cancel my membership.

I did contact corporate, but they never got back to me. They're building a new LA fitness about 2 miles from my house so I'm going to check that out when it opens.

330i Sport Package, 6spd, Terra interior.... suspension, wheels, and tint coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Gold's Gym is a god damn scam. I was a member while in grad school and when I was moving back from Boston to Jersey I went to my gym to cancel my membership. They made me contact corporate who said I had to talk to my gym, get a form, fill it out and send it in. When I did this they "lost" my form and tried to charge me for that time. I put in a stop order for those charges to my credit card and disputed the charges. I continued to try and cancel but no one listened till I put in that stop payment order. They will drag out your cancellation as long as they can to keep getting money from you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
justice
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well it only gets better, I went to the "new" gym and although they were allowing golds gym members to work out there, they didn't have any of the paperwork, contract etc... so they couldn't do anything with my membership, they said I had to call ABC financial who handles all the Gold's Gym transactions.
So I called ABC Financial, a total waste of my time, they told me that there wasn't anything they could do, that I had to contact my gym (that's closed, doors locked, lights out) to cancel my membership. When I tried to explain the situation in detail, they said that there was nothing they could do. So now I have to wait for my account to be debited and then call my bank and file a claim against the charge. Then once the "new" gym has my contract I can cancel my membership.
To put it mildly I'm pissed off. I'm about to send Gold's Gym a bill for my wasted time.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

golds gym sucks anyway. bunch of fake italians and juiced up douche bags who walk around in expensive clothes and tons of cologne to work out...la fitness is pretty much the same. see if you can find a retro gym they are really cheap and good. i go to a straight up gym only has weights.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
golds gym sucks anyway. bunch of fake italians and juiced up douche bags who walk around in expensive clothes and tons of cologne to work out...la fitness is pretty much the same. see if you can find a retro gym they are really cheap and good. i go to a straight up gym only has weights.
You just described every gym in NJ. Except Planet Fitness. I work out at a Retro Fitness, it's the same way too. Also, how do you differentiate between a fake and a real Italian?
      12-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
call your bank and tell them not to allow it, and to note it on your acct.. that way if they do, it cn be a charge back and no fee's for you
+1. i would dispute any charges thereafter.
      12-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
justice
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
We have no "real" gyms with just weights. The only reason I went to the golds that I belonged to was because the had the machine gym and free weight gym separate.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice View Post
We have no "real" gyms with just weights. The only reason I went to the golds that I belonged to was because the had the machine gym and free weight gym separate.
Try 21fitness.
They have those sections separate and had been the best one so far.
But then I only work out early in the morning and and I find many thugs after 5pm so I never go there after 5.
Appreciate 0