Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

12-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Oil....

Had my 'vert for approx 6 weeks, one week of which was spent being repaired after a kind soul drove into it and buggered off. During the remaining 5 weeks I've been driving her at different modes, ie warp factor six, stabbed rat, fast, sedate, restrained, slow, even "Miss Daisy" whilst covering 1800 miles but whilst driving home last night with no drama's to speak of, the oil warning light came on and upon investigation the control check informed me that I need to put a litre of oil in.

Is this usual after covering about 1800 miles in five weeks?

Flapps
      12-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Bolt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Had my 'vert for approx 6 weeks, one week of which was spent being repaired after a kind soul drove into it and buggered off. During the remaining 5 weeks I've been driving her at different modes, ie warp factor six, stabbed rat, fast, sedate, restrained, slow, even "Miss Daisy" whilst covering 1800 miles but whilst driving home last night with no drama's to speak of, the oil warning light came on and upon investigation the control check informed me that I need to put a litre of oil in.

Is this usual after covering about 1800 miles in five weeks?

Flapps
mine did the same - they will burn oil in the early miles, just needs to be topped up .... but don't put too much in !
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
+1 - mine took a litre early on also but since then has hardly used any more. Checked with my dealer who asked the tech who works on the M csars and he said it is perfectly normal.

Just a pain not having a dipstick - had to have mine running on the driveway for about 10mins last time waiting for the electronic dipstick to take a reading.

Never before have I taken 20mins to top up the oil level on a car before
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
+1 - mine took a litre early on also but since then has hardly used any more. Checked with my dealer who asked the tech who works on the M csars and he said it is perfectly normal.

Just a pain not having a dipstick - had to have mine running on the driveway for about 10mins last time waiting for the electronic dipstick to take a reading.

Never before have I taken 20mins to top up the oil level on a car before
Did exactly the same re dealer and techie and whats with the electric dipstick in anycase????? i'm too busy driving the bloomin thing!

Flapps
      12-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

after my 1200 mi service, my oil went low around 4K. it did it again around 8K miles. i'm just glad my dealer tops it off for free. they said it should get better after more miles.