BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
halcon1
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 125i M Coupe

N52 (125i) tuning questions...

I have a 125i Coupe here in Colombia and have read about quite a few ECU flashes and tune ups for the N52 engine but I am a little confused because of all the options available (PBX, LET, BMS, etc.. )

Are all these pretty much selling the same type of ECU flash?
Which are the most reliable and performant ECU flash suppliers?
Which is the easiest to install?
Which is the stealthiest vis-a-vis the dealer?

And finally, which do you think might help me the most in 2,600 meter altitude (10,000 feet) ?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

When someone says "get turbos" at that altitude, don't be discouraged.

BMS (Burger Motor Sports) offers the PBX. It's a physical chip that can't be detected unless someone opens your ECU and takes a peek. Thus, taking it out for software type things would be recommended. Otherwise, it's dealer safe. Takes about 1.5 hours to install. There are many reviews of this one (all very positive) on this forum and mostly the e90 one.

The LET, I believe is just an ECU re-flash, which may offer slightly more power, but it can be over-ridden on dealer updates, etc. So, it's not long-lasting. Not sure on install, just computer work, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabwind51 View Post
When someone says "get turbos" at that altitude, don't be discouraged.

BMS (Burger Motor Sports) offers the PBX. It's a physical chip that can't be detected unless someone opens your ECU and takes a peek. Thus, taking it out for software type things would be recommended. Otherwise, it's dealer safe. Takes about 1.5 hours to install. There are many reviews of this one (all very positive) on this forum and mostly the e90 one.

The LET, I believe is just an ECU re-flash, which may offer slightly more power, but it can be over-ridden on dealer updates, etc. So, it's not long-lasting. Not sure on install, just computer work, I suppose.
Not only that but the LET can be detected on dealer visits and could cause some warranty denial issues. Flashes may give more power but the trade off is that you could get stuck with the repair bill. The PBX is the one that is the safest bet and gives great gains for the money you spend.
      12-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I agree with Brad, the BMS PowerBox is the easiest and safest solution for your car. With all the positive reviews out there, I see no reason not to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I agree with Brad, the BMS PowerBox is the easiest and safest solution for your car. With all the positive reviews out there, I see no reason not to do it.
+2

Mike
Appreciate 0