E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Braking when raining

12-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Braking when raining

Hello all.
I drive e91 x-drive. Yesterday drove for a few hours on a highway.
Strong rain.
Speed about 120 km/h.
When I touched a brake pedal, the car pulls to the right. It feels scary. Released the brake. Second time pulls to the right less. Third time seems OK.
After driving for a while and braking again-same story.
Obviously it is related to wet discs. But why it pulls to one side.
The question is-should i call to dealer? I thought BMW should go straight under braking? My other much less sofisticated cars didn't do it to me.
Any opinions?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

I thought these cars had a system that automatically touched the pads to the rotors periodically in the wet to help keep the brakes dry. I'm guessing here, but if the braking does straighten out after a couple of uses, could that not be working on the left side, or left-front wheel specifically?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R608 View Post
I thought these cars had a system that automatically touched the pads to the rotors periodically in the wet to help keep the brakes dry. I'm guessing here, but if the braking does straighten out after a couple of uses, could that not be working on the left side, or left-front wheel specifically?
They do when the windshield wipers are on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Water tends to accumulate on the shoulder of the right lane.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Bingo

To the OP - welcome to hydroplaning.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Bingo

To the OP - welcome to hydroplaning.
Thank you. It is not a hydroplaning. I know how that feels. Traction was never lost.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Actually i was in the left lane and if there is more water on the left shoulder than there is more water on the left discs. Than it makes some sense why it was pulling to the right.
Still, I've never experienced that before and I've been through a lot of driving in all kind of weather. The car is new for me (first winter), and I am disapponted with such behavier.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
Actually i was in the left lane and if there is more water on the left shoulder than there is more water on the left discs. Than it makes some sense why it was pulling to the right.
Still, I've never experienced that before and I've been through a lot of driving in all kind of weather. The car is new for me (first winter), and I am disapponted with such behavier.
FWIW, I've never once observed my car pulling either direction like that, or even just exhibiting any kind of noticeable loss of performance due to being wet. Is this something you're seeing with some consistency or just a once-time thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Happened few times during that trip(total 5 hours of driving). Have never noticed that before. May be never drove throught that much rain, i don't remember. I have the car only since April
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Does this only happen in the rain? If so , I would tend to lean toward losing traction on one side or the other. If not, take it in.
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I'll try some hard breaking tomorrow on a dry pavement.
Thank you for opinions guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

On the dry it is OK. BTW had a chance to try it through blizzard, snow, ice. The car behaved perfectly. (i have winter tires as well).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Some development: Another long run in the rain, same problem, but this time i was in the right lane and the car pulled to the left. It is pretty much clear that there is more water on the shoulder and more water getting inside the wheels on that side.
Wild guess: with cruse control engaged, brake drying function doesn't work. Is it possible?
I had cruse on in both cases.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Quote:
Some development: Another long run in the rain, same problem, but this time i was in the right lane and the car pulled to the left. It is pretty much clear that there is more water on the shoulder and more water getting inside the wheels on that side.
Wild guess: with cruse control engaged, brake drying function doesn't work. Is it possible?
Cruise control should not be used in rainy conditions. Maybe the car is trying to tell you something.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRedOne View Post
Cruise control should not be used in rainy conditions. Maybe the car is trying to tell you something.
Why not? If traffic allows, sure it can be used. If she is trying to tell me something it is stupid and dangerous way to do it. And i repeat the car was perfect on the snow and bllizzard.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
There are a lot of other factors - tire width, tread depth, speed, suspension setup, it's really hard to compare cars like this unless they are side by side. I mean is it really that bad? Not trying to flame or anything but it just sounds like it's an annoyance about the car on these roads in the wet - not something wrong with it. My car wanders all over the place on the concrete that has been grated or the road is worn down on either side of the center of the lane - just the car being the car (wider tires, stagered, etc.).

I've never understood the brake drying thing - does it work when the wipers are on, only when they are on auto, does it cancel with cruise, etc. I suppose it's all in the manual I've never totally read.

I personally think that your car is fine and that's just one of it's characteristics although if you do start to hydroplane, sometimes it can throw the TC light since the wheel speeds change at different rates.

Nick
NO hydroplanning. And yes it is pretty bad. It pulls sideways strong, and i don'really brake hard, because i always keep proper distance.
But it is amazing how good the car was on ice and snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Quote:
Why not? If traffic allows, sure it can be used. If she is trying to tell me something it is stupid and dangerous way to do it. And i repeat the car was perfect on the snow and bllizzard.
I was being facetious, however I do believe the manual, in concert with those of other manufacturers, recommends against the use of cruise in wet conditions. Too easy to hydroplane and lose control of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

I thought i read somewhere that DSC is not active during cruise control, which is why it should not be used in raining conditions. Correct me if im wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
FrankFi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Wow - had this exact same problem today driving down the Sea-to-Sky Highway from Whistler to Vancouver. The car pulled hard to the right - towards the cliff, in other words! - when braking during a hard rain. This was quite scary. Later on, on the dry Rt 1/I-5 from Vancouver to Seattle, there was no problem whatsoever.

I have a one year old 335ix. Never had this problem before, and driving in Seattle I do have a lot of experience with wet conditions. The car wasn't hydroplaning. I did hit a pretty good pothole on the way up to Whistler... I wonder if the alignment got out of whack... but why would that only show when braking in wet conditions?

Puzzled in Seattle,
Frank
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #20
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFi View Post
Wow - had this exact same problem today driving down the Sea-to-Sky Highway from Whistler to Vancouver. The car pulled hard to the right - towards the cliff, in other words! - when braking during a hard rain. This was quite scary. Later on, on the dry Rt 1/I-5 from Vancouver to Seattle, there was no problem whatsoever.

I have a one year old 335ix. Never had this problem before, and driving in Seattle I do have a lot of experience with wet conditions. The car wasn't hydroplaning. I did hit a pretty good pothole on the way up to Whistler... I wonder if the alignment got out of whack... but why would that only show when braking in wet conditions?

Puzzled in Seattle,
Frank
I also had such an experience this summer during strong rain.

I very much assume it is the same problem that already occurred with the E46 and that I also experienced with my previous car, an Alpina B3 (E46) where I saw no reaction to the brake pedal for almost one second under strong rain and then a pull of the car to one direction. At the time (and still today) there are lots of threads discussing this phenomenon on the German BMW forums, as it is a common defect to the big 6 cylinder models (330i / 328i). Apparently the brake discs which are particularly large for the 6 cylinder models (348mm for the 335i if I'm not mistaken) get covered with a water film and prevent the brake pads from generating sufficient friction with the discs, until the water film is removed. This is also why BMW installed the dry brake function on the E9x, but which apparently does not always work properly.

Now, how to avoid the problem? One can always try to complain to BMW, have them replace discs or pads but IMO (and as proven by numerous similar cases I'm aware of) this does not solve the problem itself which is IMO related to the design of the brake discs. With my E46 I solved that problem by installing aftermarket slotted brake discs where the water was evacuated more efficiently and where the reaction to braking under wet conditions was significantly improved. I tend to believe that this would also be a solution for the E9x - and that is the reason why some months ago I had slotted and dimpled aftermarket brake discs installed (EBC Turbo Groove) on mine. I haven't had any problem since.

Just my 2c.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #21
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
How are you braking with cruise on? I thought when you touch the brake, the cruise turns off. Active cruise option?

Anyways, if it is a potential safety issue to you, I would take it in. Better safe than sorry.
      01-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
tvurt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Same problem here, dealer cant replicate.

Occurs only on the first brake application when wet. Hard pull to one direction or the other. Once the brakes are in use its fine tho.