E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i Drag Racing Obsession

01-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
dirtydorty
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

335i Drag Racing Obsession

Before I start, I should say my previous car was an E46 M3 which might explain my question.

What is with the obsession with drag racing here? I understand its the cheapest form of legal racing and with all of the relatively cheap modifications available to our cars, I can see the fun behind seeing improvements in your 1/4 mile team with each additional mod.

It just seems that this car was designed to do so much more than just go fast in a straight line. These cars are almost perfectly balanced and extremely well mannered at the limits even considering all the luxury "penalties" built in.

There are much better drag racing platforms with even cheaper go-fast parts. I mean the new Mustangs STILL have a solid rear axle - a drag racer's dream!

That being said, I'm not judging nor badmouthing those of you who "live their lives a quarter mile at a time". I'm just curious, why the 335i and not something better suited for the 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Lots of HP. Its fun. Its cheap, its easy, its something to do. Plenty of people do all sorts of racing around here. We also enjoy just smashing the gas and GOOOOOING.

They're faster then your car anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

too each his/her own.... great tunable platform to build up!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I think that goes with every car. I have friends who drag race their Mercedes Benz. Sometime its just for an adrenaline rush?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Lots of HP. Its fun. Its cheap, its easy, its something to do. Plenty of people do all sorts of racing around here. We also enjoy just smashing the gas and GOOOOOING.

They're faster then your car anyway
+100
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
too each his/her own.... great tunable platform to build up!!!
+1. Sometimes it makes me feel good to know that my BMW can smoke some of my co-workers trailer queen mustangs which is supposedly not street legal according to them. When your track prepped race car looses to a BMW, you would have to feel pretty shitty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
dirtydorty
Banned
Rep

I know I know, a tuned 335i is faster than my OLD M3 in a straight line. But to me, that doesn't mean a whole lot. Sure, having a ton of power and flooring it for 13-14 seconds is great but its way more fun and challenging IMO to hit the apex perfectly or to push your car out on the curvy, empty backroads.

But my question is, why the 335i as opposed to arguably better cars for drag racing?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
dirtydorty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
+1

I think it's a far more typical situation [on the street] where "mine is faster then yours" in a line rather than around a few corners. (not that anyone runs their cars on anything but a closed course or the Autobahn). There is a road racing/auto-x sub-forum as well. I think it's common across all platforms though; M3 guys are just like 335 guys, who are like the 'Benz, Audi, Ford, Chevy, etc. guys when it comes to power and performance.

For me, road racing would be a blast but it's not as feasible if you live in Minneapolis - it's a total pain in the ass to get into (weather, no close tracks, etc.). Not saying it can't be done just not as popular.

Nick
Ya I'm in Portland and our track days are relatively limited as well.

I saw that forum, but the draggers seem to post more here.

Like I said, I appreciate the tuning options for these cars and have no issues with drag racing, I like to do it on occasion myself (not yet with my 335i though) I just think there are much better platforms to begin with.

I just think these cars have soooooo much more potential than just straight line speed and its a bit of a shame to see one relatively small facet of this amazing car being focused on at arguably the expense of other areas.

Just my $0.02. Again, not judging.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

its very tunable/mod friendly but luxurious at the same time. Not many cars at that price are like that. A fast, moddable, 'luxury' car (and handles) that can beat ugly, loud, uncomfortable 'race-cars' is what is so great about it.

to each his own though
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I dont get your point. There are plenty of people doing wheel/suspension mods, etc. for handling and racing. But if you can add 100hp for under 1k, why the hell not?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

This belongs in the Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques forum.

01-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

^ its really not a big deal bro
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Why get a E46 M3 for track duty, when a Z06 was cheaper and better at it?
      01-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
CBR335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335

.....and a lot faster.
      01-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

The op has a very valid question - I've thought the same thing myself many times. Our cars are as far away from being drag racers as a 1977 Lincoln Town Car is from being a track car. Being that we're all enthusiasts, I can certainly understand our interest in adding HP and going faster, but I'm a bit surprised at how obsessed a lot of folks are on this forum with getting a few more tenths of a second off their 1/4 mile times, and in some cases, even at the expense of drivability, smoothness, and comfort. I want my car to be faster and handle better too, but my approach is always with little to no sacrifice to the comfort and luxury aspects of my car. We're not driving '66 Chevelle SS's here...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

Its because I have a car that can not not only hit those apex' , not only looks incredibly sexy, not only ride's as comfortbly as i can afford, but can smoke the people that want to race in straight line.

I love M's, and i will probably get a 07 SG coupe sooner or later, probably the latter, but the current platform is too pricey for me, i can afford the car, but gas would kill me, i MIGHT be able to tune a few things; exhaust, tune, pulleys, but what does that get me, a little bit faster, and worse gas mileage..

Until "Sticky" wants to sell me his S/C E92 M3, its just not the right car for me..yet..

To sum it up, why am I obsessed with dragging this car? BEACAUSE ITS GOOD AT IT!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #17
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydorty View Post
That being said, I'm not judging nor badmouthing those of you who "live their lives a quarter mile at a time". I'm just curious, why the 335i and not something better suited for the 1/4 mile?
The n54 has gone 11.3 in the 1/4 mile. Don't forget you also have a nice daily driver, something to take clients out in, something the wife wouldn't mind riding in, doesn't burst your ear drums, is relatively reliable, etc?

I know most people would love to race on the twisties, but they're harder to find and dare i say.. overpriced? It's all relative i know.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I don't drag race alot, but I do from time to time. I also like to go to the track and tear up some tires. Occasionally hit up some auto-x. Then I can take it home, wash it, and go pick up women in my "luxury" car. To me it is just a great all around car, and it does very well in every category. It might not be the best track car, or the best drag car, or the most luxurious babe car... but it is like 9/10 in every category and it has style. Rustangs are just hideous cars, big heavy tanks with a gay sounding "echo" exhaust. The only american car I consider is a vette, but then again you gotta be 65 with 3 ex wives and gold chains around your neck to drive one. Turbo's are more fun to play with (tune) anyway

My previous car was a 350z which was pretty decent all around, not as much power for straight-line racing but VERY easy to throw on a turbo or 2. I was considering a turbo kit for it then just decided to get a 335i which had turbo's and a warranty plus I prefer an I6 over a V6 for boost. This car is faster than my z in every category, yet easier to drive and WAY better as far as quality and "nice-ness". I am 33, and the 335i also attracts a more mature crowd Plus, if you want attention, go run an 11 second 1/4 mile at the strip in your 335i and watch everyone "holy wtf" when nobody cares what some loud gutted out rustang or camaro can do... they are a dime a dozen.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #19
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
I know I know, a tuned 335i is faster than my OLD M3 in a straight line. But to me, that doesn't mean a whole lot. Sure, having a ton of power and flooring it for 13-14 seconds is great but its way more fun and challenging IMO to hit the apex perfectly or to push your car out on the curvy, empty backroads.

But my question is, why the 335i as opposed to arguably better cars for drag racing?
For me I always liked luxury sport's cars. You can ride to the track in luxury and drive home and while you are there can run pretty fast.

The alternative would be to buy a F250 and a trailer and an old mustang. Plus our car's will go into limp mode after 2 lap's at a real track. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Htown09
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ya I'm in Portland and our track days are relatively limited as well.

I saw that forum, but the draggers seem to post more here.

I just think these cars have soooooo much more potential than just straight line speed and its a bit of a shame to see one relatively small facet of this amazing car being focused on at arguably the expense of other areas.
Not really. I would say the E92 M3 is more of a circle track car. Our car's have a tiny oil cooler and no LSD. That's not much potential. Plus it will go into limp mode after a few laps. Sure you could buy an upgraded oil cooler, intercooler, and LSD but you are talking about some cash.

I enjoy the other facet's of my car everyday, taking turns, 50/50 balance, straight line, the luxury, etc. but for 25$ I like to take it to a legal track and get times out of it for fun. Car get's to cool down between run's and it is fun racing other car's (in a different lane). Circle track and you risk totaling your car by flipping it over. Of course drag racing there are risk's but you are only running "a 1/4 mile at a time".
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Htown09
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
few more tenths of a second off their 1/4 mile times, and in some cases, even at the expense of drivability, smoothness, and comfort. I want my car to be faster and handle better too, but my approach is always with little to no sacrifice to the comfort and luxury aspects of my car. We're not driving '66 Chevelle SS's here...
What mods' are you talking about? I can't think of any mods' that take away the luxury of the car except maybe for catless exhaust which would make it a little louder or smell it up a bit. But if you listen to the Miltek exhaust for example, it sounds like an M3 and not a Chevelle. A tune, intake, meth kit, etc. does not change the driving characteristic's at all, still very smooth just more powerful. With an intake you just hear the turbos a little more, but that's only if you have the window cracked.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I don't drag race alot, but I do from time to time. I also like to go to the track and tear up some tires. Occasionally hit up some auto-x. Then I can take it home, wash it, and go pick up women in my "luxury" car. To me it is just a great all around car, and it does very well in every category. It might not be the best track car, or the best drag car, or the most luxurious babe car... but it is like 9/10 in every category and it has style. Rustangs are just hideous cars, big heavy tanks with a gay sounding "echo" exhaust. The only american car I consider is a vette, but then again you gotta be 65 with 3 ex wives and gold chains around your neck to drive one. Turbo's are more fun to play with (tune) anyway

My previous car was a 350z which was pretty decent all around, not as much power for straight-line racing but VERY easy to throw on a turbo or 2. I was considering a turbo kit for it then just decided to get a 335i which had turbo's and a warranty plus I prefer an I6 over a V6 for boost. This car is faster than my z in every category, yet easier to drive and WAY better as far as quality and "nice-ness". I am 33, and the 335i also attracts a more mature crowd Plus, if you want attention, go run an 11 second 1/4 mile at the strip in your 335i and watch everyone "holy wtf" when nobody cares what some loud gutted out rustang or camaro can do... they are a dime a dozen.
I agreed with you 100% until the stang bashing started. Each car has their niche and I already have a fast all around mustang. For me my e92 does everything else better than my mustang except for straight line speed and I really appreciate that.

Drag racing is just easier to access and by doing so you can get some type of measure of how your car would do against various vehicles. I figure if I can trap 125 I should be able to give a non properly driven stock Z06 a problem or a GTR for that matter.