ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
DerrickO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M Convertible

2003 Z4 3.0i Subwoofer Question

Greetings,

Last month I purchased a 2003 Z4 3.0i (09/03 build date) with the 10 speaker Business CD sound system and DSP choices of Church and Jazz Club.

This is my first BMW and I'm still learning about the car. The forums have been a great resource. I know from reading other posts about the various Z4 stereo systems that they're aren't the best in terms of sound quality and there aren't that many upgrade options short of replacing the system with an aftermarket one.

Up to this point I had only listened to FM radio and really hadn't tried to get the system sounding good with the bass and trebel settings. Just this past weekend, I was finally able to add the AUX cable mod and connected my portable Pioneer XM Radio.

Now that I have XM back, I've tried to set the bass and trebel and played with the fader and I am unhappy with what I'm hearing (or rather what I'm not hearing). LOL

Questions:

1.) If I adjust the fader to the four rear speakers (two behind the headreasts and the two subs at the back of the seats), should they sound like an AM radio broadcast? When I adjust the fader back to the front 6 speakers it takes on more of a stereo quality sound but it is definately lacking bass.

2.) With the fader still set to the rear speakers and the bass setting on full, should I be able to feel the punch of the sub with the volume cranked on a good rocking song? I'm not feeling anything with my hand on the speaker grill. I have popped the subwoofer grill on the passenger side of the car and can see the woofer moving but it is so faint that I feel that between the grill and when the seat is fully reclined it is "hiding" what little bass response I'm getting.

3.) Is there a seperate gain control on the amp in the trunk that allows you to adjust the subwoofer?

4.) Is the amp in the same compartment as the trunk car battery?

Despite the car being 7 years old, it is in remarkable condition. Aside from the poor bass, the stereo really doesn't seem to be broken as there isn't any hissing or crackling when I adjust volume or change FM radio stations. I added an in-line ground loop when I hooked up the XM Radio to the AUX input and I'm not getting any engine whine when I'm driving with or without the headlights being on.

Thank-you,

Derrick
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Derrick,

I have the same vehicle as you with the same stereo. I usually have the Jazz club DSP on, with the fader right in the middle, and get great bass. It seems that the Jazz DSP adds just a little boost to the low end, and I set the bass setting on the middle or one to the right of middle on the display and the treble to a few notches right of middle for most of the tracks I play. Since bass is non-directional, it shouldn't matter where the woofer is. You should still feel some response when the system is on. The seat shouldn't interrupt or squelch the bass.

The speakers just above the woofers in the rear are small, and only produce a full range of sound, but only to provide rear fill-in for the soundstage. The fronts are where your stereo imaging will come into play, but you need that rear fill to make the soundstage work properly, if only a little.

Yes, the amp is in the trunk with the battery. I don't think there is a gain to adjust.

Try setting the fader in the middle or one notch to the front and experiment with the DSP settings. Some like lots of bass, while some do not. I'm one of those in the middle. Most of the music I listen to (rock, jazz, some country) turns out fine with the Business radio, and I tend to turn it up when a favorite comes on, while feeling the bass in the lower back and my rear-view mirror shaking some.

If you still don't come out with sound that is acceptable, maybe there is something wrong with your system such as a bad woofer in the bulkhead or a bad amp channel. I'm sure others with more experience might offer another opinion. There's also the option of replacing with an aftermarket head unit, but that seems like a lot of work. Good luck with the experimentation.
Now, if I can only add that iPod input as soon as the snow melts...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Hi Derrick. You can't seperately adjust the bass from the subwoofers. When you adjust the bass level, the subs output are adjusted automatically.

The factory Carver subs sound absolutely horrendous. You'd be surprised how much better your stereo will sound if you pull them out, and just leave them out. The speakers closest to your feet put out a remarkable amount of bass on their own, and those alone should easily be enough.
here if you have any other questions, perhaps this will help
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248228