ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Valarr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

replacing factory amp...cheaper or not?

As it appears the amp is not waterproof I seem to be in need of a new one. (water leaked into trunk, as of today 4 of the 10 speakers are not working).

So, is it a big deal to just install an aftermarket amp in lieu of a new factory amp?
I'm basically just looking for a cheaper alternative than the $1200 factory amp.

I've been reading some of the posts here and I suppose I'm more confused than before. So I have a couple questions:

Would the headunit have to be replaced if I went aftermarket?
Will the multi-function steering wheel controls not work w/an aftermarket headunit?
Will the radio still function normally w/o the factory amp?

ty

I'm just looking to get my sound working again (& if possible for the price to sound a little better) for <$1k. Even if the price ends up similar to going OEM if aftermarket could provide some improvement I'd be open to that.

I haven't seen too many simple audio jobs on the Z4. Seems either stock or full out replacement.
My Z3 was a fairly simple install w/2 amps, a headunit, & sub. The Z4 seems less conducive to minor changes w/o totally redoing the system...
      02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

I'd suggest you search for an OEM amp where someone is parting out the car. Every now and then, I see people parting out their cars. Sites are available all over the place. You can also post a 'want it now' ad on ebay (at least you used to be able to do this) so potential sellers can gage interest.

Call around scrap yards and see what they've got. They often have perfectly functional stuff on hand from a recent incident where the car isn't repairable but many parts can be sold on the market to people like you who are looking for a replacement.

Food for thought, fwiw...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Car wreckers may have an amp for you, but what I'd do if I were you is invest in a JL audio "Clean sweep". It can be programmed to work with your factory deck, so you can control ANY amp with it. That way you'll never be limited to options for whatever type of install you could ever want. They'll typically run you about $300 or so depending on where you go.
I'd highly recommend finding the kind of amp you want, and letting a professional install company install, synchronize & tune it for you.