Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

BPM

02-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
ROCKYJET
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

M3 buying tips

Hi all,

After many enjoyable years running in 3 consecutive Zed cars, the missus got fed up with the lack of extra seats and boot space. Naturally I persuaded her the only option was to move into an M3!

So I finally find myself being that much closer to owning my dream car. I have loved the M3 in virtually every variant and it probably suits me that my 1st M car will be the last naturally aspirated M for some time.

The lease on my Z4 runs for another 6 months but Im researching as much as I can to get the right model for me. It will be a coupe, no more than a couple of years old. It will be my daily driver initially (10k miles pa) and will probably be a keeper.

I'm aware that the 1200 mile service must have been completed and though I would love to have edc (Lot of my driving is in Central London), tad unsure of its longevity if the car is a keeper?

Any other things I should need or look out for, would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Welcome.

Firstly you made the right choice, made mine in October last year after researching thoroughly for at least six months and the odd bit of wife persuading too. Personally I decided to go through a dealer, which did grate me, but if anything went wrong then at least there is a certain amount of security, and spending that sort cash, I felt I needed it! (hope that doesn't open another kettle of fish re stealers!)

Your on the right track with the 1200 mile service........avoid one that doesn't have it, which wont be through a dealer-not allowed to sell one without it. Its going to be a case of compromise/balance really, what you want and what your prepared to go without. Had to have DCT and the 19's and extended leather to do justice to it being a 'vert. Look at prologic or above for the in car entertainment system, avoid the business system. I wanted the EDC but the car I eventually picked didn't have it. I've not really missed it, only from the point of view that I've never experienced it before!..but I'm sure to some of the guys on here its a must have. Again personal choice as all of above are.

Be prepared to travel to get the car you want. For example if its in Scotland, and its got all the toys you want, fly up and have the drive of your life back home

Ultimately whatever variant you get, whatever toys you have, and whatever colour you opt for, you'll love it..........

Lastly, when you do get your dream machine, get some pics on here.

Flapps

Last edited by Flapps; 02-04-2010 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

What Flapps said but do you want to go for a coupe or 4door??
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
What Flapps said but do you want to go for a coupe or 4door??
Trying to convert to a 'vert???........

Flapps
      02-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Not sure if the wife would like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Trying to convert to a 'vert???........

Flapps
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Bolt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Agree with all the other posts .....

but whatever spec you get - you will not be disappointed. I traded my RS4 for the M3 Coupe last September - and have loved every mile of it (except for the speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago!).

Most important thing is to get one, and drive it ... lots !
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
ROCKYJET
Rep

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

You guys have no idea how desperate I am to own and drive this baby.

I really like the coupe in Alpine white. However I'm worried I'd attract way too much negative attention in C. London, so I'm likely to go with interlagos blue!

DCT is a very interesting option. To be honest, it's probably top end of my budget and may need to compromise on other goodies / mods I'd want to make.

I know that the DCT lag issue has been debated heavily here but here's a slightly different angle for you DCT people. I believe the software update in most cases has significantly reduced this lag to acceptable levels. However is this perceived acceptable level Im summising aimed at us enthusiasts?

Let me give you a scenario, my good lady, long suffering car enthusiasts wife, who doesn't drive a great deal and unlike us on this forum; won't take the long way round to get the milk.
If she gets to a junction and pulls out, will the dct react appropriately for a driver like her? If the car jack rabbits, people like me and you, would be able to take the necessary corrective action. Im just concerned the car would drive her and not the other way around.

Please let me know your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe 09

Hi, mate good move to switch. You cant really go wrong with the DCT especially in London and it's nothing like the car driving the missus its hardly noticable with the update unless you are really fussy. Its a brilliant option.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKYJET View Post
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

You guys have no idea how desperate I am to own and drive this baby.

I really like the coupe in Alpine white. However I'm worried I'd attract way too much negative attention in C. London, so I'm likely to go with interlagos blue!

DCT is a very interesting option. To be honest, it's probably top end of my budget and may need to compromise on other goodies / mods I'd want to make.

I know that the DCT lag issue has been debated heavily here but here's a slightly different angle for you DCT people. I believe the software update in most cases has significantly reduced this lag to acceptable levels. However is this perceived acceptable level Im summising aimed at us enthusiasts?

Let me give you a scenario, my good lady, long suffering car enthusiasts wife, who doesn't drive a great deal and unlike us on this forum; won't take the long way round to get the milk.
If she gets to a junction and pulls out, will the dct react appropriately for a driver like her? If the car jack rabbits, people like me and you, would be able to take the necessary corrective action. Im just concerned the car would drive her and not the other way around.

Please let me know your thoughts
Your going to attract attention no matter what colour the car is, purely due to it being an M! I've had the DCT update this week after the lag issue arose. I mainly noticed the lag after a bit of hard driving and the boss, sorry the wife, didnt notice it when she drove it like Miss Daisy, but to be honest she wouldn't notice the lag if it came up and gave her a £50 note!

One of the reasons for buying the M is that its so flexible, happy with its hair on fire and happy to be driven like Miss Daisy.

Re DCT, again its a personal choice. Until I opted for the DCT, I always thought it was a lazy way to drive, but since I've been using it, as others have mentioned, its fantastic, gives loads of options and apparently its more fuel efficient! but I've never noticed it

Flapps
      02-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #10
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Fuel efficient?? gimme a break!
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did say apparently!

Flapps
      02-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
+1
DCT ...no lag at all on the 09 cars...much better than the smg on my E60 M5 by a country mile !!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
ROCKYJET
Rep

Hey all,

A while since my last post. Ive pretty much decided to start looking for a DCT equipped model as my left knee is seriously fed up with the stop start traffic in central London. Just means I'm at the top of my budget now but at least I have a very understanding wife/boss Just waiting for my lease for my Z4 to run out now!

Real reason for my post though is that Ive seen a very low mileage (2200 miles) M3 on the auc site being sold by Sytners. However, quick phone call to BMW info line confirms car has never visited any dealer since it left the showroom so no warranty work which is good but also no 1200 mile service? . I thought they couldnt sell them without it?

Like most used buyers, I'm avoiding high mileage examples but Im also a little suspect on cars that haven't been driven. In my experience, all high end performance cars NEED to be used regularly? Appreciate your thoughts on this and the above
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
low miler via dealer is fine mate you won't have any issues and I'm sure it will have hda the 1200 done.

Dealers regularly fail to record what work is done on cars. I've had this issue a number of times when selling cars despite the work definately been done.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

+1

Dont panic, it'll have its 1200 mile service before they sell it to you. When I bought mine it had 3300 on the clock and no work on it either apart from the 1200 mile service. Needless to say since then she has not missed a beat!......

Flapps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKYJET View Post
Hey all,

A while since my last post. Ive pretty much decided to start looking for a DCT equipped model as my left knee is seriously fed up with the stop start traffic in central London. Just means I'm at the top of my budget now but at least I have a very understanding wife/boss Just waiting for my lease for my Z4 to run out now!

Real reason for my post though is that Ive seen a very low mileage (2200 miles) M3 on the auc site being sold by Sytners. However, quick phone call to BMW info line confirms car has never visited any dealer since it left the showroom so no warranty work which is good but also no 1200 mile service? . I thought they couldnt sell them without it?

Like most used buyers, I'm avoiding high mileage examples but Im also a little suspect on cars that haven't been driven. In my experience, all high end performance cars NEED to be used regularly? Appreciate your thoughts on this and the above
      04-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
tricky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

The whole 1200 miles service thing is something to be very wary of if the car hasnt had it done.

I had the same problem when I was looking for a 2009 E90 M3 a few months ago, with a number of cars being sold under the AUC that hadnt had the service done or not at the right time. Ended up requesting confirmation (in writing) from BMW about the warranty status of a car with either a missing or late 1200 miles service based on the different stories provided by dealerships.

In summary - BMW give a 500 mile grace period guideline (so upto 1700 miles to get the service completed) where warranty is unaffected.

As they were getting cars outside of 1700 miles to sell as AUC, they extended it to a maximum of 2000 miles to maintain warranty IF - "the dealer is sure no damage has been caused to the vehicle by the late service and will honour a future claim if it arrises".

The issue being that if there is a subsequent warranty claim made relating to an defect the could of been caused by the late service, then BMW will reject the claim and the selling dealer will be responsible for honouring (assuming they are still in business) the claim.

So basically - if it had the service done after 2000 miles - bye bye factory warranty. If its between 1700 and 2000 miles - you still have a warranty but the supplying dealer may have to pay for the claim if the issue is later believed to of been caused by the late service.

Hope that helps

Tricky
E90 M3 SSII, 6MT, 19's, EDC, bluetooth, voice, etc. - gone
E46 330i SE, Topaz Blue, 17's - gone
Appreciate 0