02-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Living with M3

Looking for a bit of advice!

I've currently got a 2 year old e92 335d, which, while is perfect for daily life (I'm doing approx 18-20k miles per year with a lot of motorway driving), still leaves me with an itch for something a little bit more 'oh yeah'.

So, I'm looking at AUC e92 M3's. Late 2007/early 2008 with sub-20k on the clock is seeming to fit into the budget range without examining the figures too closely, but it leaves me with a few questions.

• While I'm not expecting 34mpg, what sort of figures can I expect (not too heavy a right foot, plenty of motorway miles)?
  • What are the service intervals and what are typical costs?
  • Will 18'' MV3's fit ok (winter tyre set-up)?
  • Any options that are a must, or to be avoided?
  • What sort of insurance uplift can I expect (just if anyone has an idea, will investigate properly)?
  • What are yearly depreciation figures likely to be?
  • Anything else I need to think about?

Cheers

Ed

edit - just seen ROCKYJET's similar post, so don't worry about posting the same info in both threads

Last edited by ed335d; 02-04-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Glad your looking to step up.........

As far as your questions are concerned, expect between 19 to 21mpg. If you push it then expect low teens

The servicing is CBS- Conditional Based Service. Basically the car tells you when it nees something, like oil change, new brakes front and rear, and timed inspections etc. The i-drive holds all the info. For example mine is telling me that within 8000 miles i need an oil change. The costs for that can change from dealer to dealer. I was quoted £315 from a dealership in Bucks. In London was quoted £415, so shop around.

Options- see ROCKYJET's thread on my views.

Tyres- Well lets just say after the snow we've just got over, no matter what tyres you put on the car, its going to be "interesting" for you when you experience driving an M in the snow!

Insurance. I went through Admiral multi-car quote, who quoted me £315 for full comp, protected no claims, 12k miles a year, Tracker, parked in street, no points. But I am the wrong side of 40

As far as depreciation is concerned, can't comment, but as the cars are sort after and something of a niche' market they can expect to fall less than other marques, well thats my opinon anyway, so dont hold me to it. In anycase holding on to mine for personal reasons. Never to be sold!

As I said on Rockjets post no matter what options, colour, guise i.e coupe, saloon or convertible, you eventually get, you will certianly get the "wow" factor in spades!

Flapps
      02-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Glad your looking to step up.........

As far as your questions are concerned, expect between 19 to 21mpg. If you push it then expect low teens

The servicing is CBS- Conditional Based Service. Basically the car tells you when it nees something, like oil change, new brakes front and rear, and timed inspections etc. The i-drive holds all the info. For example mine is telling me that within 8000 miles i need an oil change. The costs for that can change from dealer to dealer. I was quoted £315 from a dealership in Bucks. In London was quoted £415, so shop around.

Options- see ROCKYJET's thread on my views.

Tyres- Well lets just say after the snow we've just got over, no matter what tyres you put on the car, its going to be "interesting" for you when you experience driving an M in the snow!

Insurance. I went through Admiral multi-car quote, who quoted me £315 for full comp, protected no claims, 12k miles a year, Tracker, parked in street, no points. But I am the wrong side of 40

As far as depreciation is concerned, can't comment, but as the cars are sort after and something of a niche' market they can expect to fall less than other marques, well thats my opinon anyway, so dont hold me to it. In anycase holding on to mine for personal reasons. Never to be sold!

As I said on Rockjets post no matter what options, colour, guise i.e coupe, saloon or convertible, you eventually get, you will certianly get the "wow" factor in spades!

Flapps
Chris, you pay £315 for insurance??? Please tell me you are 50 yrs old or something??
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Hayzi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 09 E92, BMW S1000 RR Bike

I'm with Admiral paying just over £600!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Daaammmn... I pay £1k with Churchill but I declared all mods
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Chris, you pay £315 for insurance??? Please tell me you are 50 yrs old or something??
Nearly...........well i got 6 years to go!............When I first asked them for a quote I had to double check that they got the right car! They confirmed that they had and I said "sold!"..............They do say things improve with age

Flapps
      02-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Nearly...........well i got 6 years to go!............When I first asked them for a quote I had to double check that they got the right car! They confirmed that they had and I said "sold!"..............They do say things improve with age

Flapps
Well if I had to pay £1000 per year to stay at age 35 I would!
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Well if I had to pay £1000 per year to stay at age 35 I would!
Dont get me started....you have no idea!

Flapps
      02-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

Flapps, you must be 235 years old....

I pay a 'nice' round £1k with Admiral. 31 yo, North London, OSP, clean licence, 5 years no claims, no mods....I thought I was happy with that too.....

Fuel consumption? 16.1 mpg over the last 4,000 miles. Oops
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

i have an M3 500/yr liberty mutual the best !
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List

I've currently got a 2 year old e92 335d, which, while is perfect for daily life (I'm doing approx 18-20k miles per year with a lot of motorway driving), still leaves me with an itch for something a little bit more 'oh yeah'.

So, I'm looking at AUC e92 M3's. Late 2007/early 2008 with sub-20k on the clock is seeming to fit into the budget range without examining the figures too closely, but it leaves me with a few questions.

You will love an M3 ed, here is my take on things......pretty similar to everone else really!
  • While I'm not expecting 34mpg, what sort of figures can I expect (not too heavy a right foot, plenty of motorway miles)?
Mine is showing 16mpg which is mainly round town. It has been higher (low 20's) and lower (single figures ) but the overall average over 5k miles is 16.5
Not had mine serviced yet. The 1200 miles service was built into the cost of my car. Make sure any car you buy has had this service. DO NOT buy one without it
Think the offset will be miles out, but there are plenty of cheaper alloys around to make up a winter set - I often have a set for sale as I change my wheels more often than my underpants lol
As others have said, logic 7 is great (hi fi spec is a mimimum and defo avoid busines spec. it's a noisy engine so needs a decent system when you want to listen to music instead of the V8. 6FL Ipod option was a must for me as was DCT. I had driven a manual one and was not 'blown away' with the feel of the box. DCT suits this car 100% and really 'completes' the feel of driving a car like this. All IMO and not hating the 6MT's - just personal preference. It is my first 'auto' car and LOVE IT. Can be used as a lazy auto when numbling in traffic or a mental gear banging thrill when you give it the beans (The blip on the downshift is also well worth it) I don't have EDC and to be honest, unless you track the car it would prob be on normal all the time anyway. Can't see why you would buy an M3 to keep it on 'softy' setting all the time?
  • What sort of insurance uplift can I expect (just if anyone has an idea, will investigate properly)?
I am 28, max NCB, no points, car on driveway. pay £450 for me and the missus fully comp with Admiral multi-car which also happened to knock £100 off her renewal as well
You will lose lot off anew one but if you buy wisely they should be no worse than the car you are coming out of?
I would try and buy as new as poss, just so the car is in warranty for the max amount of time, I dread to think what some out of warranty engine or gearbox wouk would cost!

and oh yeah, how quick can the dealer get you one!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post

I've currently got a 2 year old e92 335d, which, while is perfect for daily life (I'm doing approx 18-20k miles per year with a lot of motorway driving)

Cheers

Ed
Well Ed, here is my take on my car which is a 2010 december Build with M-DCT and EDC;
MPG 24/25 on motorways at under 85MPH
I don't do much town work but 19/20MPG would not be far out for what I have done.
Variable servicing 16K with long journeys mainly done.
Wheels No idea.
Prof-Sat Nav and amplified sound are must haves IMO.
Insurance with Admiral multi car under £460.00 No points and car garaged, NO tracker ( waste of money).
BUT 20K miles per year will kill RV and I would strongly advise forget this car for that kind of usage, it will be worthless in no time with very high miles..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollox View Post
Flapps, you must be 235 years old....

I pay a 'nice' round £1k with Admiral. 31 yo, North London, OSP, clean licence, 5 years no claims, no mods....I thought I was happy with that too.....

Fuel consumption? 16.1 mpg over the last 4,000 miles. Oops
I'm appalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............235 years of age????, the mere slur of it, I'm emotionally scared and morally outraged...........I'll have you know i'm not a day over 234!:..looked in my dairy today, simply said "bugger!"....The ecstacy and the agony of being 44.........lol........Jealousy can be an evil mistress!!!!

Flapps
      02-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post

Cheers

Ed

edit - just seen ROCKYJET's similar post, so don't worry about posting the same info in both threads
1: If you get more than 20 you are doing well. I get 17 max lots of motorway.
2: Everything is more expensive than regular 3er. Discs are very expensive. Bank 500quid atleast every year. Expect 1000quid every 10K on tyres.
3: No I don't think so, but check them with the 18" m3 wheel sizes, the calipers are quite big on the M3.
4: USB, BT, upgraded Audio are must have, standard audio sucks. EDC is a nice to have but not essential. Personally I'd avoid auto entry as a few folks with it have had strange power issues. DCT rocks
5: I'm paying about 650 with admiral they are the cheapest but aren't MOD friendly.
6: ugly!
7: more carbon fibre bits!

Regards,
Neil.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I'm paying about 650 with admiral they are the cheapest but aren't MOD friendly.
Strange they are great with me, told them every mod I have done, even the colour changes, very reasonable on the extra costs, no more than £100 for everything. I just call them up every time something new gets added, sometimes they don't even charge extra.

They also offer a separate 'modification policy' that runs alongside your normal policy.

I'd get back on the phone to them.

Last edited by KadeSdad; 02-06-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #16
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
have you declared the optional extras on your car? You have to do that also with Admiral. Still works out the cheapest. I'm not saying they won't do mods but they are anal about declaring them. Also they won't return a 1 year old car back to brand new value (check the small print if you have a gap policy) they only give market rate.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
have you declared the optional extras on your car? You have to do that also with Admiral. Still works out the cheapest. I'm not saying they won't do mods but they are anal about declaring them. Also they won't return a 1 year old car back to brand new value (check the small print if you have a gap policy) they only give market rate.
Funny I mentioned options and all they were interested in was the wheels!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #18
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have told Admiral everything mate, takes a little while on the phone but it's worth it.

My gap insurance is with BMW and is covered for the value of the car at day of purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #19
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Funny I mentioned options and all they were interested in was the wheels!!!
this is what drives me nuts when dealing with companies like Admiral. I heard different stories about this also:

I had to tell them about:

1: Wheels 19"
2: EDC Suspension
3: DCT Semi Automatic Gear box

Regards,
Neil.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #20
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
I have told Admiral everything mate, takes a little while on the phone but it's worth it.

My gap insurance is with BMW and is covered for the value of the car at day of purchase.
I'd read that again - usually there is some type of limit, certainly has been on BMW policies that I've had in the past. (if it really is a BMW policy as alot of stealers sell "BMW Policies" when its jack all to do with BMW).

Its less of an issue on used which I think yours was ?

Alot of GAP policies on new cars don't start until the second year as they say that insurance should cover return to new in the first year of ownership. If you have admiral and a GAP insurance that has that in the small print and you could end up in trouble

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #21
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
this is what drives me nuts when dealing with companies like Admiral. I heard different stories about this also:

I had to tell them about:

1: Wheels 19"
2: EDC Suspension
3: DCT Semi Automatic Gear box

Regards,
Neil.
Really, that is astonishing! I would have thought the registration number would immediately tell them it's an 'automatic' as opposed to 'manual'.

I'm with Admiral also (£440 fully comp), but didn't mention any of my factory fitted options. I mean, where would you stop...

Me: "I've also got a wind deflector"
Insurance rep: "Ah, in that case sir I'm going to have to apply an additional charge of £500"
Me: "What? Why on earth would you charge extra for a wind deflector!?"
Insurance Rep: "Well the wind's going to deflect somewhere,... at speed it could cause an accident..."
Me: "Better not mention my storage net then..."
      02-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #22
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'd read that again - usually there is some type of limit, certainly has been on BMW policies that I've had in the past. (if it really is a BMW policy as alot of stealers sell "BMW Policies" when its jack all to do with BMW).

Its less of an issue on used which I think yours was ?

Alot of GAP policies on new cars don't start until the second year as they say that insurance should cover return to new in the first year of ownership. If you have admiral and a GAP insurance that has that in the small print and you could end up in trouble

Neil.
Hi Neil

Your right, I purchased mine used (8 months old) and the gap is on the price I paid on the day. I did speak to the financial guys in the stealers last time I was in to make sure the gap would still be all in order. Been with the same dealers for years now (Woodmans) and they have always been straight with me. I've had my car a year in March, so if there was an issue in the first year then that's nearly up now anyway.

It's a good point you bought up about gap insurance not kicking in until the second year on new cars, I certainly didn't know that and I bet others don't who get the 'gap sales treatment' when buying new.

Marcus
Appreciate 0