E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Oops... there goes the turbo!

02-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Huds
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d m sport

Oops... there goes the turbo!

After a rather scary drop in power on the M40, my car (e91, MSport 320D, 56) is back in the loving arms of Sytner High Wycombe. Apparently needs a new turbo and full exhaust (having spread oil up it!)

I'm annoyed (having to pay for my own hire car) but happy that it'll get sorted under warranty. The service guy said it was a LOT of money!

Glad to have bought (used) from a main dealer. It seemed like a lot extra at the time, but I wouldn't like to be dealing with some 3rd party warranty. Sytner HW are looking after me well so far.

I did a quick search and couldn't find much on this forum. Is it a known problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huds View Post
After a rather scary drop in power on the M40, my car (e91, MSport 320D, 56) is back in the loving arms of Sytner High Wycombe. Apparently needs a new turbo and full exhaust (having spread oil up it!)

I'm annoyed (having to pay for my own hire car) but happy that it'll get sorted under warranty. The service guy said it was a LOT of money!

Glad to have bought (used) from a main dealer. It seemed like a lot extra at the time, but I wouldn't like to be dealing with some 3rd party warranty. Sytner HW are looking after me well so far.

I did a quick search and couldn't find much on this forum. Is it a known problem?
Damn, unlucky dude. Any idea how long you will be without your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Huds
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d m sport

Back on Tuesday, so not really a problem. I'm driving a bright blue Nissan Note automatic at the moment. Aaaargh!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huds View Post

OH yes! In time all turbocharged engines are at risk of turbo failure. I know there was an issue with E46 320d and turbo failure. Thats one of the reasons some people shun forced induction.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
BMW should provide you with a car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Sorry to hear of your breakdown. Your car is in good hands there, and you will hopefully be reunited with it very soon.

With reference to with Neil's comment. I was under the impression that the repairer isn't obliged to provide you with a replacement car.

BMW breakdown assistance, like any breakdown company, under certain circumstances can provide a courtesy car free of charge but only for a set amount of days. This can be extended at the customers cost.

When we had a VW breakdown under manufacturer's comprehensive warranty, I with provided with a courtesy car foc for 3 days. The repair took 2 days (free car period), but I couldn't get the car until the following day. So the repairing dealership had to communicate with VW assistance, who were kind enough to extend it at their cost for a day.

Some dealerships dealerships can also provide you with a car, but only if they have availability, which at short notice is unlikely (typically needs 4 weeks advance booking) and some charge a daily fee.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

The e46 320d (150) suffered turbo failure because of neglect. The crankcase breather filter clogged and caused the system to pressurise starving the turbo of oil. A modified filter was introduced and the I believe replacement schedule for it was changed. I replaced mine once a year to be safe, it's a £16 part but takes a lot of dismantling to get at as it's at the back left side of the engine behind the air filter.

You're damn lucky to have that warranty! Make sure they change the filter on yours as part of the remedial work.

I've seen the aftermath of a turbo failure and it's not pretty, a lot of "gunk" was needed!!
Appreciate 0