E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Looking for 335i Cab info

11-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
domino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 350Z Anniversary

Looking for 335i Cab info

Hi guys

Just joined up, recommended by my mate Abyss.

Im looking for info on the 335i convertibles. I was all set to buy a new M3 convertible, but then saw pics of the E93 cab and just fell in love with the modern fresh styling - the E46 does look quite old in comparison. Plus the metal roof is a huge plus for body rigidity - none of my cars remain stock for long

From what i read, BMW are quoting a March arrival. But is that just a March unveiling at the Melb motor show, or first deliveries in March

Im leaning towards an individual build, only because i want the same white nappa leather that are in the current runout 330Ci High Line convertibles, black timber and the shadowline

Also, has anyone here started modding their 335s? There seems to be alot of buzz over ECU tuning in the states. What id be interested in first is an LSD - i still cant believe BMW released the twin turbo as a single spinner

Also anyone know if the 19" CSL wheels will fit on the E92/E93?

I plan to head out to BM for a test drive of a 335 coupe this weekend. I like my cars with a bit of rawness, im hoping the drive isnt too German clinical and dare i say it - boring. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Welcome. I can provide you some info on the cabrio because i had just been to the motor show today in Sydney. The BMW representative did say march arrival. The pricing is supposed to be close to $150,000 for the 335 and $120,000 for the 325 cabrio. As for modding a 335 i don't think anybody has modded yet as most people are waiting for there orders. Ive been looking for CSL Rims for my future e92 335 but the only ones available are through BBS, (replicas).
About your test drive, you'll be hating your 350Z after you have the test drive. I don't think you'll find the drive boring, if you have read the american pages of the reviews for this car you would see that the car is far from being BORING.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 04:49 AM   #3
domino
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks for the info

150K is a bit steep, that'll push it above 160 on road

i do like the thought of 400Nm just off idle, and with a 6speed auto, it will be hella quick off the line. But what i will miss is power oversteer and snapping the rear end out bw gears......that is until someone does an aftermarket LSD for the 335

boring is a relative term. I have a 328i coupe, 5 speed auto, as a daily slapper, and find that not sporty at all, even though at the time that platform was considered a sports sedan/coupe. Im not expecting the same pure sports car feel as i have in the Z - the low seating position, high doors, wrap around dash, short throw box, etc - because i know the BMW wasnt designed that way. But what im hoping for is a bit of a raw edge. The 330ci imo feels too clinical, which is why i was looking at the M3 in the E46. I guess i just dont want it over refined

re the CSL rims, any reason why you dont go for the genuine wheels? are they not available through the dealers?

i was going to order 20" Volk TE37s for the M3, dont think theyd suit the E93 though. Rays make shit hot wheels

Last edited by domino; 11-02-2006 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Abyss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Coupe

Hi Mate, Yeah agree 150k sounds abit too steep. But again it is a hardtop convertible. When you gonna test it out?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
Im leaning towards an individual build, only because i want the same white nappa leather that are in the current runout 330Ci High Line convertibles, black timber and the shadowline
oh yes.. very nice combo.. i have that on my car... and btw, it wasn't just available on the 330 highline, but the 325 as well
      11-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

I hoped the car's pricing would be $10,000 more then the coupe like they have been in previous years. The moment i heard the $150,000 i was . It's too much for a 3 series cabrio. It is the same as the current m3 pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Hey Mates, the cabrio will make its North American debut at the North Americian Auto Show in Detroit January 7th, and will be available in North America in the April/May time period. I'm sure that all remaining questions concerning the cabrio will be answered by the unveiling in January. Australia model should be very similar. Have a great day down under
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #8
domino
Enlisted Member
Rep

guys i went and drove a 6 speed auto 335i coupe and really liked the car.

the stock exhaust note had a bit of a gruff raw feel, loved that. Will sound awesome with an intake. Was a little dissapointed i couldnt hear any turbo sounds - im sure i can fix that though with an external wastegate

loved the power delivery, soooo much torque. It got off the line so quick, impressive. I drove it back to back against an E46 M3 SMG and didnt think the M3 was that good. The 335i had way more torque, and just felt faster overall. The M3 for me was far too peaky, even my Z feels quicker down low - albeit not stock and a bigger engine

ill be happy with a 335i as my next project car. So i put a deposit down for a build allocation and now await more info on available colors and spec to lock in a delivery date

will def go black exterior. Dealer mentioned there will most likely be a min 6 months wait for Individual build cars - that is after the March debut. Im hoping BMW release some fresh interior colors just as they did with the coupe vs sedan

in the meantime ill keep an eye on what aftermarket parts become available for the 335i coupes
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
domino
Enlisted Member
Rep

just an update for anyone looking for convertible info

got a call from the dealer, i gotta jump on this and get my spec sussed within the next week to make the Jan 01 build date - for March delivery

got a few decisions to make, like whether to go the sports suspension or just use the cash to buy coilovers instead. Its only a $600 upgrade for 15mm drop - im thinking it may look low enough i dont need to spend 3K on coilovers

color wise im going solid black with jade grey and piano black trim. But ive only seen internet pics of jade grey which looks like a nice bright light grey. Yet some people comment it has green shades which i cant see in the pics. I really have to see it in the flesh asap, might cruise to some dealers tomorrow

a bit dissapointed the shadowline isnt available, but i can have my bodyshop do that later - along with painting the lower bumper plastic mesh intakes which BMW strangely paint silver

options wise, just the pro logic 7 hi-fi and steeringwheel paddles. Thought about the comfort access but its a bit pointless on the convert. I like how you can open the roof on the keyfob as you're approaching the car. So id have the keyfob on me all the time anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Are you sure you can get black piano trim down under. It doesn't seem to be an option in the states.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
options wise, just the pro logic 7 hi-fi and steeringwheel paddles. Thought about the comfort access but its a bit pointless on the convert. I like how you can open the roof on the keyfob as you're approaching the car. So id have the keyfob on me all the time anyway
1. you will love the upgraded sound system compared to the standard one... standard one sucks...

2. comfort acess is not pointless on a convertible, because when the car is locked with THE REMOTE, even if the roof is down, the button in the center to unlock all doors, or the door handles will not be able to unlock the doors.. pretty much, the car makes it's self hard to steal, even with roof down (just leaves it open for vandalism i guess...). Long and the short of it is, comfort acess is for lazy people

3. that's what's great about convertibles! putting the roof down when you are not in the car!

I was still inside the resturant the other day, near the window, and decided hey, it's a nice night, i will put the roof down, so i did it from inside the resurant, and the people walking past have to turn round and look what's going on, Hahaha... good fun!

Official release is at the Detroit show on the 20 something-th?

Congrats on your choice though... i bet you are going to love your new car to bits!!! Have fun with it... And good choice on colour... can't go wrong with dark paint and light interior!!!
      01-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
domino
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks mate

still though, for what BMW want for the comfort access, that can go towards my 20s

yeh i can picture the roof remote trick - pony it up

i ended up missing out on the Jan build date because i was waiting to see the Jade in the flesh. Im now deciding bw metallic and non metallic black - waiting for the dealer now to find me any sapphire black e90/e92

i really love the non met black on my Z, but it is painfully hard to maintain swirl free. The metallic flakes would hide the amount of swirls my car would get bw polishes
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
domino
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajag
Are you sure you can get black piano trim down under. It doesn't seem to be an option in the states.
yep its def available here - ive seen it on a coupe

can you not get it on the coupe in the US?
Appreciate 0