E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > anyone try K&N oil filter??

02-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
panpon
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 325i

anyone try K&N oil filter??

Anyone try K&N oil filter?? Is it good??
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
If you intend to keep the stock air box, yes it's good. You'll save on replacement filters as you just clean the K&N filter every 50,000 miles. As for performance wise, you will feel a bit better throttle response and can hear a slight difference up front. With that said, don't expect too much with just a drop in filter, but nonetheless, it's better than the stock paper filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panpon View Post
Anyone try K&N oil filter?? Is it good??
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

He's asking about OIL filter, not air.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My bad...

K&N oil filter? Over priced. No need for it. A stock filter will do the job if you maintain regular oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
He's asking about OIL filter, not air.
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
I got the K&N oil filter because eBay price was the same as the overpriced filter from the local dealer.
      02-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Just go with the Mann filter, you can find them from some of our vendors for cheap...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Just go with the Mann filter, you can find them from some of our vendors for cheap...
+1
I've used them for my clk and it's works great. I got the ones made from some sort of fiber... don't quite remember.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
panpon
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 325i

oh okay thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

i sell filters to the heavy industry, oil/gas refineries, and chem plants for a living, so i know a thing or two about this topic. K&N does make a quality oil filter. They claim to be 99% efficient in collecting dirt and particulate over 5.5 micron. The material they use is a synthetic blend of cotton and cellulose. 90% of other oil filter 'companies' are all coming from one manufacture, which is a company called Claircor (Fram, Bosch, Wix Baldwin, Mobil, etc). It is all the same shit, just labeled differently with paint and company logos. Now when it comes to air filters, they have somewhat of a different approach. Most stock air filters will capture more particles than a K&N. K&N claim to increase horsepower by opening up the media and lowering the retention. This allows more airflow into the engine.

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the info Alpha.

Would you happen to know what the difference is (if any other than the color) between an AFE oiled air filter an a K&N oiled air filter? Is the the filter media the same? "same shit" just cosmetics, branding and marketing?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha325i View Post
i sell filters to the heavy industry, oil/gas refineries, and chem plants for a living, so i know a thing or two about this topic. K&N does make a quality oil filter. They claim to be 99% efficient in collecting dirt and particulate over 5.5 micron. The material they use is a synthetic blend of cotton and cellulose. 90% of other oil filter 'companies' are all coming from one manufacture, which is a company called Claircor (Fram, Bosch, Wix Baldwin, Mobil, etc). It is all the same shit, just labeled differently with paint and company logos. Now when it comes to air filters, they have somewhat of a different approach. Most stock air filters will capture more particles than a K&N. K&N claim to increase horsepower by opening up the media and lowering the retention. This allows more airflow into the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i had the k&n air filter and it made no difference from stock save your money
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
Thanks for the info Alpha.

Would you happen to know what the difference is (if any other than the color) between an AFE oiled air filter an a K&N oiled air filter? Is the the filter media the same? "same shit" just cosmetics, branding and marketing?

Thanks in advance.
The AFE Pro-5R, which is their 'oiled' version is very similar to the K&N air filter. They both have deep open pleats that allow maximum air flow. The media of both is a bleached and cleaned cotton gauze (the oil determines color). The oil helps catch and retain dust/particles since with media is more open and allows more air flow. The AFE Dry-5 filter and AEM dry-lok are made of synthetic media and oil-less. These two will actually capture more particulate, but not allow as much air flow through the intake. The ultimate goal of these aftermarket air filter companies is to open the retention of the media up as much as possible without allowing an unacceptable amount of PPM (parts per million) on the downstream side of the air flow. If the air filters did not capture enough particulate, we would be changing mass air sensors regularly. The synthetic air filters do not need to be oiled because they are more restrictive in their filtering duties. So, to answer your question, a K&N or AFE oiled filter will be more efficient for performance. I am not sure if AFE is producing their own or buying them from someone else, but they are equally comparable to K&N.

alpha325i
Filter Resources Inc
http://www.filterresources.com/

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks again Alpha.

Appreciate you taking the time out to explain all that. It's nice to have someone who's a professional in the industry to provide an unbiased comment.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha325i View Post
The AFE Pro-5R, which is their 'oiled' version is very similar to the K&N air filter. They both have deep open pleats that allow maximum air flow. The media of both is a bleached and cleaned cotton gauze (the oil determines color). The oil helps catch and retain dust/particles since with media is more open and allows more air flow. The AFE Dry-5 filter and AEM dry-lok are made of synthetic media and oil-less. These two will actually capture more particulate, but not allow as much air flow through the intake. The ultimate goal of these aftermarket air filter companies is to open the retention of the media up as much as possible without allowing an unacceptable amount of PPM (parts per million) on the downstream side of the air flow. If the air filters did not capture enough particulate, we would be changing mass air sensors regularly. The synthetic air filters do not need to be oiled because they are more restrictive in their filtering duties. So, to answer your question, a K&N or AFE oiled filter will be more efficient for performance. I am not sure if AFE is producing their own or buying them from someone else, but they are equally comparable to K&N.

alpha325i
Filter Resources Inc
http://www.filterresources.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i know the 50,000 miles cleaning interval is for highway conditions. for those of us who open our engines i would suggest to cut that in half or even every 10,000 miles if u do canyon runs.
      02-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
Thanks again Alpha.

Appreciate you taking the time out to explain all that. It's nice to have someone who's a professional in the industry to provide an unbiased comment.

Thanks again.
No problem, glad I could assist.

Appreciate 0