E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Your next car....

03-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3

Your next car....

i dont know about you guys, but my 335xi is my daily driver. I feel awd is a must for a dd in areas where you get snow. The issue i'm having now is what to get next. I need to drive a manual so that eliminates a lot right off the bat. Part of me is thinking about getting an M3 and using it with snow tires but it just wont be the same. So, as the title states, what's your next awd sports car going to be?

For me, i keep leaning towards used 911 C4S or Turbo. S4 is a possibility, S5 maybe, if they release it with the V6T and 6sp.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

I used to think AWD was needed in the snow as well. Until I bought an E60 M5 to use as a daily. With proper snow tires the car was a champ in Massachusetts. I don't think I will be looking at AWD cars any time in the future. So I'd say shop the M3 all you want.

proof:
      03-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
I used to think AWD was needed in the snow as well. Until I bought an E60 M5 to use as a daily. With proper snow tires the car was a champ in Massachusetts. I don't think I will be looking at AWD cars any time in the future. So I'd say shop the M3 all you want.
That's real exciting to hear!! How did the m5 with snows compare to your 335xi?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
That's real exciting to hear!! How did the m5 with snows compare to your 335xi?
I ran my 335xi with full snows and it was unstoppable.

My M5 with full snows was different but never got me stuck or left me stranded and we had some pretty good storms this year. Snow tires make a world of difference, some people find it hard to believe but when they see the M5 climbing a snow covered hill with no trouble they start to understand.
      03-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
...I feel awd is a must for a dd in areas where you get snow...
That's an erroneous assumption to make… I live on top of a 950 ft hill in northwestern CT. Our area has a microclimate that often produces snow at our elevation when there’s little or no accumulation in town. I also drive to/from Albany, NY on the Taconic Parkway several times a month. I've never gotten stuck in 10 years of winter driving with a good set of snow tires on my RWD BMWs (this year I had Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D tires on my daily-driver, a RWD E90 335i).

It must be noted that Germans manage to drive their RWD cars in pretty harsh winter conditions. AWD is NOT a "must" in the northeast. Skip the AWD, get a good set of winter tires, and learn how to drive better in the snow.
      03-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
It must be noted that Germans manage to drive their RWD cars in pretty harsh winter conditions. AWD is NOT a "must" in the northeast. Skip the AWD, get a good set of winter tires, and learn how to drive better in the snow.
I did that when i had my e46 330. A good set of snow tires def makes the car drivable but once you've plowed thru the snow with an xi, its totally different. This thing handles better in the snow with snow tires then any SUV i've ever driven...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

I disagree...RWD is def the best drive.

But AWD has a smaller probability of leaving you in a tractionless situation. Its an added safety feature and worth it esp if you have family and kids. Don't be a hero trying to drive RWD with family.

Put it to you this way: regular winter driving...you're cautious, have nice winter tires, and you drive slow...fair enough

But all of a sudden you're on a 2 or 3 hour trip and snowstorm hits (this happens to me often enough here in Ontario)...the awd will save your ass. You likely don't have the skill to pilot a RWD vehicle when its losing control (most people do not, because we have lives, and don't race cars all day). Even if you had the skill, why would you want to be out of control when awd has a higher chance of keeping you in control.

So its that added bit of insurance and safety that you won't slip out. In that snowstorm a RWD car is more likely to slip out with winter tires than an AWD car with winter tires; the awd car will s imply track better.

So stay with AWD for daily driver, its not worth the risk.

As for a dailiy driver 4wd with manual; its audi or bmw. I can't stand audi, looks, brand name, handling, and overboosted steering, and bland black or grey interior.

You're not going to drive a C4S in the snow...it has poor ground clearance and will become a sled in heavy snow. Its also a porsche, kinda harsh to treat an expensive car like that to salt and snow every day...and its a harsh daily driver if you have to deal with a lot of traffic.

Go with another bmw 335i...the new F30 or a 535xi with a manual transmission. I'd get a new 535xi with 6MT the new F model.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I disagree...RWD is def the best drive.

But AWD has a smaller probability of leaving you in a tractionless situation. Its an added safety feature and worth it esp if you have family and kids. Don't be a hero trying to drive RWD with family.

Put it to you this way: regular winter driving...you're cautious, have nice winter tires, and you drive slow...fair enough

But all of a sudden you're on a 2 or 3 hour trip and snowstorm hits (this happens to me often enough here in Ontario)...the awd will save your ass. You likely don't have the skill to pilot a RWD vehicle when its losing control (most people do not, because we have lives, and don't race cars all day). Even if you had the skill, why would you want to be out of control when awd has a higher chance of keeping you in control.

So its that added bit of insurance and safety that you won't slip out. In that snowstorm a RWD car is more likely to slip out with winter tires than an AWD car with winter tires; the awd car will s imply track better.

So stay with AWD for daily driver, its not worth the risk.

As for a dailiy driver 4wd with manual; its audi or bmw. I can't stand audi, looks, brand name, handling, and overboosted steering, and bland black or grey interior.

You're not going to drive a C4S in the snow...it has poor ground clearance and will become a sled in heavy snow. Its also a porsche, kinda harsh to treat an expensive car like that to salt and snow every day...and its a harsh daily driver if you have to deal with a lot of traffic.

Go with another bmw 335i...the new F30 or a 535xi with a manual transmission. I'd get a new 535xi with 6MT the new F model.
The OP lives in New York City, not Ontario. NYC only gets about 60 cm (24 in) of snow annually. Ottawa gets four times that amount. On average, there's probably less than 10 days a year where there's any significant snow on the ground in NYC. There really is no need for AWD in NYC, especially when you can take mass transit if the weather gets really bad.
      03-31-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
Dereleek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
That's an erroneous assumption to make… I live on top of a 950 ft hill in northwestern CT. Our area has a microclimate that often produces snow at our elevation when there’s little or no accumulation in town. I also drive to/from Albany, NY on the Taconic Parkway several times a month. I've never gotten stuck in 10 years of winter driving with a good set of snow tires on my RWD BMWs (this year I had Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D tires on my daily-driver, a RWD E90 335i).

Why are you hanging out in the XI forum? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you monitor this forum just in case a RWD/AWD questions comes up--so you can be there to put your 2 cents in that RWD w/ snow tires is better than AWD. In fact, you probably have secret regrets about getting RWD in your "microclimate" and want everyone else to make the same mistake as you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out
      03-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #10
Dereleek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
i dont know about you guys, but my 335xi is my daily driver. I feel awd is a must for a dd in areas where you get snow. The issue i'm having now is what to get next. I need to drive a manual so that eliminates a lot right off the bat. Part of me is thinking about getting an M3 and using it with snow tires but it just wont be the same. So, as the title states, what's your next awd sports car going to be?

For me, i keep leaning towards used 911 C4S or Turbo. S4 is a possibility, S5 maybe, if they release it with the V6T and 6sp.
I will most likely get a 2011 or 2012 335xi or Audi S4. I love having the xdrive on the 328, but will definitely be putting some KW coilovers on the 335 if I get it--because the wheel gap is a joke. I will most likely take the KW V1 off my 328 when I sell it and swap it right over
      03-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0812 View Post
Why are you hanging out in the XI forum? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you monitor this forum just in case a RWD/AWD questions comes up--so you can be there to put your 2 cents in that RWD w/ snow tires is better than AWD. In fact, you probably have secret regrets about getting RWD in your "microclimate" and want everyone else to make the same mistake as you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
      03-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
My daily driver must be all wheel drive as I need to get to work in all conditions. Unfortunately BMW does not make a true performance car with AWD (i.e suspension, sports set up, etc). I currently drive a 328xi coupe as my daily driver. I test drove the 335xi, and the S4. I absolutely love BMW, but after test driving the audi twice, I gave a deposit. The car is just that good. Feels faster then my 911. Car will be here 1st week of June.

As for snow tires, a good set can make any RWD car usable in northeast winters. However, if you can't take a snow day even if there is a blizzard, AWD is the ONLY way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
My daily driver must be all wheel drive as I need to get to work in all conditions. Unfortunately BMW does not make a true performance car with AWD (i.e suspension, sports set up, etc). I currently drive a 328xi coupe as my daily driver. I test drove the 335xi, and the S4. I absolutely love BMW, but after test driving the audi twice, I gave a deposit. The car is just that good. Feels faster then my 911. Car will be here 1st week of June.

As for snow tires, a good set can make any RWD car usable in northeast winters. However, if you can't take a snow day even if there is a blizzard, AWD is the ONLY way to go.
I'm not a huge audi fan, but i gotta take an S4 for a spin. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I was actually kind of thinking about the S4 as a next car, although we sat in one at the recent auto show, and my wife didn't like it too much. She liked the M3 a lot better. I also have a VW R32 (limited edition AWD Golf), and when we bought the 335xi, I figured I'd be getting rid of that eventually, and using the 335xi as the replacement track car. I've now decided that's a bad idea (making the 335xi a track car), so most likely, the 335xi will go, and be replaced with an M3, unless we decide to go for the S4 after all. I was hopeful about the M1, since I kind of feel like the M3 is a bit overkill, but since it doesn't look like they'll be making one, M3 it is (probably). Cayman is another possibility (whatever I buy, I'd like it to eventually be a track car, even if I don't use it as one right away).
      04-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
A good set of snow tires def makes the car drivable but once you've plowed thru the snow with an xi, its totally different. This thing handles better in the snow with snow tires then any SUV i've ever driven...
I completely agree
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Go for the Porsche TT. I just did the same thing. I picked up a 2003 996TT with only 20K miles. That car is absolutely amazing. If you decide to go for the P-car read up on the differences between the NA and turbo motors. The turbo blocks are much better and more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 02:51 AM   #17
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
I was hopeful about the M1, since I kind of feel like the M3 is a bit overkill, but since it doesn't look like they'll be making one, M3 it is (probably)...
If you check out the M1 discussion thread, it looks like the M1 is going to happen.

My 335xi is really a great winter car, but I am strongly considering the M1 when it comes out (supposedly next year). I am hoping they have an orange color similar to the old 2002. And they really need to give it around 370 HP.

The 3 series is just a little too bulky now, and the AWD doesn't help any in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Go for the Porsche TT. I just did the same thing. I picked up a 2003 996TT with only 20K miles. That car is absolutely amazing. If you decide to go for the P-car read up on the differences between the NA and turbo motors. The turbo blocks are much better and more reliable.
The porsche is a phenominal car, however as a porsche owner I've experienced both the joy of driving and the horror of true ownership cost. Routine maintiance is astronomical, and even the smallest repair is going to set you back serious bank. Just something to keep in mind if your going to go that route. That being said, THERE IS NOT SUBSTITUTE.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
col4bin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
I live at 5,280' elevation in Denver and I will always have an AWD car. I got stuck outside the eisenhower tunnel when I had an '02 323i. I had to get towed out. Got rid of that car very soon after.

Last edited by col4bin; 04-23-2010 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
If my next car is awd sedan..I'll make sure the suspension is not high as the current e90/2.
Not sure what BMW is thinking, Merc & Audi both have a nicer stance on their awd cars
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I will always want to have AWD esp for winter.

Last edited by BRAISKI; 04-24-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #22
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:

Germany does not have harsh winters. Most of Germany sees very little snow. The only exception is the south part near the alps. Otherwise the winters are comparatively mild to the US snow belt areas. When you go farther south into the mountains you will find many AWD cars. There are many AWD options in Germany and they are used quite often.
Appreciate 0