2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Sophisto - but which interior?

04-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
N16E
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Sophisto - but which interior?

Hi,

So now I've decided on the exterior....which interior? I've short listed, black and oyster/black.

I usually have all black interiors...they're safe, but perhaps a bit boring..so I thought oyster/black...having the benefits of dark carpets, so reducing the signs of dirty shoes, but light seats giving the interior a brighter feel...additionally I understand the head lining will be oyster..so no clash..

Any got any thoughts...real pictures of this combo would be appreciated..

Thanks.. and Happy Easter.

N16E
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
nisse
Registered
Rep
Drives: Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by N16E View Post
Hi,

So now I've decided on the exterior....which interior? I've short listed, black and oyster/black.

I usually have all black interiors...they're safe, but perhaps a bit boring..so I thought oyster/black...having the benefits of dark carpets, so reducing the signs of dirty shoes, but light seats giving the interior a brighter feel...additionally I understand the head lining will be oyster..so no clash..

N16E
Congrats
Have ordered the Sophisto with Oyster/black myself
Nisse
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Hoss NY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2000 BMW E39 528i  [0.00]
2002 BMW X5 3.0  [0.00]
I think the Sophisto with Oyster/Black is excellent. That's what I'm ordering also. Sat in one at the NY auto show yesterday and confirmed decision. Take a look at the media threads. Cars.com and the Wall St. Journal did some video reviews of the NY car also.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

My only concern with the Oyster/Black interior combo is the gray headliner, which means you actually end up with a three color interior. Would be nice if the anthracite headliner were offered as an option, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
DallasMike
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 07 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Hi,

N16E
That was my exact debate as well. I think the oyster/black looks outstanding in all the auto show pictures. I saw a 7 series on my dealer's floor that had the black interior with the dark grey (Sophisto/Graphite) and it looked great as well so decided to go black due to the functionality advantage. I think either combination looks good though.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming in June: F10 535i

Quote:
Hi,

N16E
I ordered the Sophisto grey and the Oyster/black 535i. I have black seats now and they get so hot compared to my prior BMW with light gray, plus the all black interior does build and hold heat, so I thought the oyster seats with the black carpet and door wells was the perfect compromise. Plus it has the Oyster headliner, so all is well coordinated, looks good and it opens the interior up. Here are some pics!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
Would be nice if the anthracite headliner were offered as an option, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

Don't know for the US, but in the UK ,The Anthracite liner is an option, it will be strange if this facility is not available in the USA, by the way, the car with the black ceiling looks very good,

The car I ordered is Oyster / black with anthracite ceiling, and I have taken the nappa leather option,

Last edited by Acquarian; 04-04-2010 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Rudegar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E500W

You might be surprised but in fact we have fewer choices in the USA. I assume that it is because the manufacturer wants to standardize on US exports. This allows for lower costs presumably to offset the lower prices in US. I think there is also a desire to maximize resale value by not having unusual combinations. Also, I assume fewer repair issues. Anyway those are all theories but all European manufacturers in US sell fixed option packages with relatively few choices compared to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I have the Anthracite headliner on my 08 550 and it is really beautiful. I really want to get it on my F10 550 which is on order for Euro Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
N16E
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Thanks for the replies..I'm currently thinking that as long as oyster/black has an oyster headlining (not beige)....that's the way I'm gonna go..

It just looks that bit more special..

N16E
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #11
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisse View Post
Congrats
Have ordered the Sophisto with Oyster/black myself
Nisse
Same here, I will receive my sophistogrey 530d on thursday. It has the extended leather oyster/black with antracite headliner.

Regards
Jens
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep

2 questions...1) Can anyone tell which leather is shown in the photos - the Dakota or Nappa? And... 2) Are the same seat surfaces the same colors with both leather choices (IE: Front seat backs on prior models offering the Oyster/black leather have shown black front seat backs. This photo as well as the car at the NY auto show show "full" Oyster front seats - both the front seating surfaces and the back of the seat facing the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
warden
Owning It
Rep
Drives: 2012 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayguy View Post
I ordered the Sophisto grey and the Oyster/black 535i. I have black seats now and they get so hot compared to my prior BMW with light gray, plus the all black interior does build and hold heat, so I thought the oyster seats with the black carpet and door wells was the perfect compromise. Plus it has the Oyster headliner, so all is well coordinated, looks good and it opens the interior up. Here are some pics!
In those pictures, it appears that the oyster/black comes with a dark headliner (you can see small sections of the beginnings of the A-Pillers). But this is a 530d, so not a US car.

In the pictures of the 550i from the NY Auto Show, the car clearly had a light-colored headliner. The pictures that I saw made it impossible to tell whether or not the headliner was grey or oyster, though.

It would be nice to get to the bottom of this. In time, I suppose. In time.

Last edited by warden; 04-05-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep

OK, LOL... ...well it seems maybe the Oyster ceiling is standard in US and Anthracite is def an option in Europe/UK, but its not known whether Anthracite can be ordered in the US, but some are hopeful that it can be!!

I am happy with Oyster ceiling but the Anthracite is attractive. My even bigger question, posted above, is whether the seat backs are Black or Oyster in the US? No one seems to be able to answer that. Dealer said "for sure" they are black when I asked, but when I showed him the photos from NY auto show, he became unsure and said, well in the past all models with two tone had the black seat backs, but now, I do not know ???. Seems BMW could be a bit clearer or provide an official place to ask the many similar BIG/MAJOR questions that come up!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
OK, LOL... ...well it seems maybe the Oyster ceiling is standard in US and Anthracite is def an option in Europe/UK,
In Germany the anthracite headliner is definitely an option.

Regards
Jens
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
My even bigger question, posted above, is whether the seat backs are Black or Oyster in the US? No one seems to be able to answer that. Dealer said "for sure" they are black when I asked, but when I showed him the photos from NY auto show, he became unsure and said, well in the past all models with two tone had the black seat backs, but now, I do not know ???. Seems BMW could be a bit clearer or provide an official place to ask the many similar BIG/MAJOR questions that come up!
In Germany the front seat backs are oyster in color (I have nappa leather oyster/black) and in leather including the pouches.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensputzier View Post
In Germany the front seat backs are oyster in color (I have nappa leather oyster/black) and in leather including the pouches.
Thanks, we shall see what I get. The Service Advisors have no idea. My car is in production, so could not switch anyway!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
bbmertz
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Anthracite headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
My only concern with the Oyster/Black interior combo is the gray headliner, which means you actually end up with a three color interior. Would be nice if the anthracite headliner were offered as an option, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.
Anthracite headliner is an option (775) in the US. See the following thread: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372102
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Here is an image of the oyster/black nappa leather and the antracite headliner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Sputnik1961
Rep
Drives: 535i

Found a few images of the oyster/black interior. shows it with an oyster headliner. I am deployed and my internet is horribly slow and does not work right so I can not get the picture to attach. The link below has about 8 good photos in it. maybe someone else can attach the pics

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/2...ies-144/page4/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #21
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Thanks for the pics. It's pretty obvious that the Oyster seats are very close if not the same color as the standard F10 headliner. That's a huge improvement over the E60 where you had a standard gray headliner that didn't match anything.

Of course, now we also know the Anthracite Headliner is available as an option in the U.S. so it's truly dealer's choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #22
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

oyster black interior.. that's what I would get..
Appreciate 0