E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Will dealer swap tires, prior to delivery?

11-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
steveww48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Question Will dealer swap tires, prior to delivery?

My '07 328xi just arrived at the dealer and will be prepped for delivery in the next day or two. I stopped by yesterday to look at the car on the lot (CA was off yesterday) and I saw that the car was fitted with Turanza EL42 tires (ugh). I've read the miserable reviews of those tires and I've looked at the dismal ratings on Tire Rack.

I left a message for my CA, asking if he would swap my EL42's for Conti's as part of the dealer prep (I saw that several cars on the lot had Conti's with the correct size) and I explained the reason for my request. I haven't heard back from him yet but I'm wondering what you guys think is a reasonable expectation on my part: is this something that I should really push or is it unreasonable to expect the dealer to do this swap for me?

I do realize that if they do the swap, they are just moving the problem to someone else's car. At the same time, I sort of feel victimized, at least a little-- as I understand it, the EL42's were used on the '06 models but BMW has now changed to Contis (seemingly for good reasons!). Nevertheless, I'm paying the price for an '07 but getting stuck with last year's crummy tires.

Opinions? Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
steveww48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

For anyone who might be interested: yes, I was successful in getting the dealer to do this. Their initial response was "no" but I insisted and they did put on Conti's prior to delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Technically I don't see why not, unless the Turanza isn't used anymore at all, and something like this could be known based on production date (i.e. they were no longer used after 9/15 yet the car that they're swapping to was produced 11/1). The Honda CR-V was similar--Duelers were notorious for fast wear, say 20-25k, and newer ones came with Traction T/A's. Everybody in the know wanted the Goodrichs......

Good luck, let us know what happens. Probably not the CA's call, as I find they're usually willing to help in any way they can, but probably have to ask someone mgmt....
Appreciate 0