BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
happyx3wife
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

OEM Tire help

Am trying to replace OEM tires on the 2007 X3. Current tires are Pirelli Scorpions with 39k. Trusted online tire dealers ratings and purchased Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. Awful. Exercised 30 day return policy because the X3 sounded like I was riding in a drum. Just looked at a Cooper CS4 V rated tire, features and price look good but little info on noise. Any thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
brugan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 X3

Just had a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS installed. Highly rated all season tires with great tread life.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
LANDOFOZ
TRAVELLER
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0Diesel

Why are you not renewing with Pirelli Scorpions ? I have used them on my cars for the past 8 years. Good mileage and performance in all weathers and surfaces, including our country tracks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Lightbulb OEM tires

I would keep the Scorpions if you are intending to keep the car. Mine lasted over 40K miles for each of 3 sets I have had. I also would recommended the Pirelli Zero Nero M+S, which I currently have on my oldest X3, they were $50/tire cheaper than the Scorpions. Softer ride, and not quite as good in snow as the Scorpions, but they are W rated vs H for the Scorpions.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
CarCzar128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010128iconvertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyx3wife View Post
Am trying to replace OEM tires on the 2007 X3. Current tires are Pirelli Scorpions with 39k. Trusted online tire dealers ratings and purchased Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. Awful. Exercised 30 day return policy because the X3 sounded like I was riding in a drum. Just looked at a Cooper CS4 V rated tire, features and price look good but little info on noise. Any thoughts anyone?
I have a 2006 X3 with standard wheels, and also replaced the tires with the Turanza Serenity about 6 weeks ago. I also notice a bit of drum like resonance when thumping potholes. I checked the air pressure and found Costco had overinflated 1 tire by 10 psi! I corrected the pressure and the tires are now serene, as advertised. The deep tread seems to be the perfect match for the firm stock suspension. I had to try them.....about $650 for a set, good TireTrack ratings,and a trial period..... seemed like a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
codog2
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar128i View Post
I have a 2006 X3 with standard wheels, and also replaced the tires with the Turanza Serenity about 6 weeks ago. I also notice a bit of drum like resonance when thumping potholes. I checked the air pressure and found Costco had overinflated 1 tire by 10 psi! I corrected the pressure and the tires are now serene, as advertised. The deep tread seems to be the perfect match for the firm stock suspension. I had to try them.....about $650 for a set, good TireTrack ratings,and a trial period..... seemed like a no brainer.
How's the ride compared to the oem scorpions? I need new tires on my 05. The Scorpions have been great, 60k+ miles, but I'm looking for something with a smoother ride and cheaper.

I've narrowed it down to the Serenitys, Michelin Primacy, or the new Yokohama Envigor avid

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
CarCzar128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010128iconvertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
How's the ride compared to the oem scorpions? I need new tires on my 05. The Scorpions have been great, 60k+ miles, but I'm looking for something with a smoother ride and cheaper.

I've narrowed it down to the Serenitys, Michelin Primacy, or the new Yokohama Envigor avid

thanks
My 2006 X3 came with Michelins...(pilot mxm4??--I already forgot the exact model) and the Serenitys are MUCH smoother. I remember having a loaner with scorpions, and those felt smoother than the michelins, too. So far I'm happy on both dry roads and roads with lots of ponding from heavy rain. I bought them after the last snowfall, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem. I was budgeting 200 bucks a tire when shopping, so I was VERY happy with the price.
Driving in pot hole riddled New England, every millimeter of rubber between the rim and the road helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
codog2
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar128i View Post
My 2006 X3 came with Michelins...(pilot mxm4??--I already forgot the exact model) and the Serenitys are MUCH smoother. I remember having a loaner with scorpions, and those felt smoother than the michelins, too. So far I'm happy on both dry roads and roads with lots of ponding from heavy rain. I bought them after the last snowfall, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem. I was budgeting 200 bucks a tire when shopping, so I was VERY happy with the price.
Driving in pot hole riddled New England, every millimeter of rubber between the rim and the road helps.
Thanks for the response. The Michelins I was looking at are different than the oe michelin tires (primacy versus mxm4). Not sure exactly what the difference is but the tire rack ratings are much better for the Primacy (ranked #1 versus #23)

I live just outside of Boston too and the beat-up roads are killing me. Sounds like you've had good luck with the Serenity (which is $20 bucks cheaper a tire) - so I'll probably go with either that or the new Yoko Envigor Avids. The Yoko's have me worried since they are so noew
Appreciate 0