E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick Question On Vishnu Products

11-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post Quick Question On Vishnu Products

what is the difference between a CAI and XEDE? what exactly is this xede? i know it is not detectable by the dealership in any way but is it a program, chip, etc? lastly is this product available to buy, if so how much?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n
what is the difference between a CAI and XEDE? what exactly is this xede? i know it is not detectable by the dealership in any way but is it a program, chip, etc? lastly is this product available to buy, if so how much?
Uh, the "Search" function actually works ; there's like 300 pages of info on the Xede product on this Forum. btw - a CAI or "Cold Air Intake" (which tries to direct colder air -- from outside the car's engine bay, into the engine for a few more ponies, maybe) has got nothing to do with the Xede product, which intercepts signals to the car's ECU (adding like 50+HP/TQ).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
Uh, the "Search" function actually works ; there's like 300 pages of info on the Xede product on this Forum. btw - a CAI or "Cold Air Intake" (which tries to direct colder air -- from outside the car's engine bay, into the engine for a few more ponies, maybe) has got nothing to do with the Xede product, which intercepts signals to the car's ECU (adding like 50+HP/TQ).
so the xede is a software on the chip that just adds a special coding in the ecu? so why wouldn't the dealership be able to detect this?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

when will the xede be available for sale and how much? do we have to ship our dme to their company to get it installed?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Dude, no ones going to answer you. Theres 100's of pages on this and we have all talked about it already. Do a damn search!
      11-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude
Dude, no ones going to answer you. Theres 100's of pages on this and we have all talked about it already. Do a damn search!
Amen. I'm just wasting my time on this one since the guy's too lazy to read all the currently very ACTIVE threads on the Xede!

hl0m4n - Go back to "General Forced Induction and 335i Engine Talk" and look down! See all the Vishnu Xede threads??? Start reading!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37494
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

none of the faqs, etc tell when it will be available for purchase and how much it is and how the orders are taken.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n
none of the faqs, etc tell when it will be available for purchase and how much it is and how the orders are taken.
Why don't you PM Shiv or see his Web site for contact info?

www.vishnutuning.com

btw - the answers to your questions ARE in the Vishnu Xede threads.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

after reading the threads posted by shiv, this is what i found out. please correct me if im wrong.

What I Found Out:
1. Xede is a small chip card placed in a free slot inside the ECU panel.
2. It is understood as a "piggy back ride" with ECU which provides custom settings for motor management.
3. If the dealer reprograms your ECU, the settings will remain the same with the thought of having to remove the Xede before reprogramming.
4. Installation is simple with no wiring, cutting, etc required and takes less then 15 minutes.
5. Xede will be $3000 being released mid January
6. Improves gas milage under normal conditions 1-2 and loss of 3-4 under heavy.
7. 0-60 low 4's based on conditions
8. 1/4 Undertermined but expected mid-high 12's.

Q's:
1. If the Xede is a card (like a video card in a pci-e slot on a computer) couldn't the dealership find it when lets say they look in the ECU panel?
2. What is dynamic power mapping?
3. What is piggy back riding the ECU?

Thoughts:
1. This is amazing, coming from an m3 to a 335i i must say these new tunings are going to be a hell of a ride. Supersprint already made a full exhaust kit to hit the market mid january which i am really excited about, vf is making 3 stages which will take time but their stage 1 which is just software should hit the market in a few months and who knows what active is going to do with the 335i and the benefits of a factory turbo. Progressing time will determine the softwares available, expecially the well known d/a.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
What I Found Out:
1. Xede is a small chip card placed in a free slot inside the ECU panel.
Not quite. It's a separate computer box about 1/4 the size of the factory ECU. It sits just next to the factory ECU in an empty "shelf". Very convenient

Quote:
2. It is understood as a "piggy back ride" with ECU which provides custom settings for motor management.
I think so?

Quote:
3. If the dealer reprograms your ECU, the settings will remain the same with the thought of having to remove the Xede before reprogramming.
Yes, the ECU can be reprogrammed independantly of the XEDE. The two are fully discrete from each other. Likewise, you program the XEDE without programming the ECU.

Quote:
4. Installation is simple with no wiring, cutting, etc required and takes less then 15 minutes.
Correct.

Quote:
5. Xede will be $3000 being released mid January
Not quite. The current intro price for the XEDE kit (XEDE, boost controller and harness) is $1300. It my increase slightly in January.

Quote:
6. Improves gas milage under normal conditions 1-2 and loss of 3-4 under heavy.
Yes.

Quote:
7. 0-60 low 4's based on conditions
8. 1/4 Undertermined but expected mid-high 12's.
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Q's:
1. If the Xede is a card (like a video card in a pci-e slot on a computer) couldn't the dealership find it when lets say they look in the ECU panel?
2. What is dynamic power mapping?
3. What is piggy back riding the ECU?
As mentioned the Xede is its own box with a wiring harness and a serial connector (for laptop interface/tuning) coming out of it. I don't know what dynamic power mapping is either Piggy-back computers, be definition, work with the factory ECU, not instead of it. The XEDE essentially recalibrates all the sensors to induce a higher level of performance without the ECU being the wiser.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Not quite. It's a separate computer box about 1/4 the size of the factory ECU. It sits just next to the factory ECU in an empty "shelf". Very convenient

I think so?

Yes, the ECU can be reprogrammed independantly of the XEDE. The two are fully discrete from each other. Likewise, you program the XEDE without programming the ECU.

Correct.

Not quite. The current intro price for the XEDE kit (XEDE, boost controller and harness) is $1300. It my increase slightly in January.

Yes.

Yes and yes.

As mentioned the Xede is its own box with a wiring harness and a serial connector (for laptop interface/tuning) coming out of it. I don't know what dynamic power mapping is either Piggy-back computers, be definition, work with the factory ECU, not instead of it. The XEDE essentially recalibrates all the sensors to induce a higher level of performance without the ECU being the wiser.

Cheers,
shiv
thank you so much shiv for your answers and help to my questions. do you have a timeframe on when the kit will be released?

lastly a major importance i have in mind is that the xede boosts the psi to 10-11 psi and 12-13 psi with a full aftermarket exhaust setup. now will the 10-11 psi boost from the stock i think 5psi still give the engine the reliability with all this extra pressure? being a previous m3 owner i know that the s54 engine has very strong rods, connectors, etc that allow the full s/c and nitrous setups but being this a new car and all, just a curiousity. hope you understand and once again thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

three final questions.

1. from your posts shiv, it looks like you only sell the xede kit locally when you are around town. will this kit ever be available at full production and through internet orders?

2. just in case, if i were to install the cp-e bov kit, will the xede be effected or engine so to say?

3. lastly in the future if i add a full exhaust system will the xede be able to adapt to the new parts and make more power?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
Backattack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (Dec 13th)

Garage List
2000 M5  [0.00]
3. lastly in the future if i add a full exhaust system will the xede be able to adapt to the new parts and make more power?[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm talking about when I say "Dynamic Power Mapping". Is the Vishnu tune the IDEAL tuning for that day, that gas, that humidity, etc. OR is it "SMART" and dynamic; for example can compensate for say an improved intake or exhaust system, or say larger turbos?!

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
emos325
Streifenden Komet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 525i was a 325is

Garage List
As far as i know, which is a little, it is a chip it will not recalibrate to compensate for new parts. you will need to have shiv do custom tunning. the reason is the sensors will sense the difference of the cold air intake and the exhaust. but exede was mapped to help you car the way it was in tunning and install. if yopu add performance parts you will need tunning to get the most out of it. it can work if you wait and get an exhaust and then buy an exede with it pretunned with exhaust in mind. make sense? i don't know if the exede will self correct. but i do know that it will stop the cars chip from self correcting and lowering you power that you get from exede.
hope i helped
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow; F- That just go to driving school and you can do both.
Appreciate 0