BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Need tips for a Resume

04-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 ZSP

Need tips for a Resume

Im in such a fcked potions right now. So a friend of mine told me that one of his client is looking for someone to run his errands, drive his customers here and there because he runs 3 medical company's and he barely has time to do anything but sit on the computer and manage his software he created for medical billing. I really dont want to get into detail but long story short, since the past 2 weeks ive been trying to get a reach of this guy. I called him few times, no answer. He finally calls me Wednesday saying send me your resume to my email address. Now im stuck here busting my ass what to write to impress him.

I downloaded a basic resume with my name, number and other info. The rest I wrote which schools I attended to, my GPA, and all the honor classes im taking. I wrote how I drive for a year with a clean title.

Is there anything else I should include in my resume? This is my first resume, all my other jobs were "plug n play". Any inputs would be appreciated

Thanks,
Ramtin
      04-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
I'd include prior jobs with contact info of managers, non-personal contacts who can vouch for your character etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
I'd include prior jobs with contact info of managers, non-personal contacts who can vouch for your character etc...
Sorry, forgot to mention that. Ty!
      04-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

This is an extremely complicated subject as there are multiple types of resumes for different professions, multiple resume formats (chronological, reverse chronological, experience oriented, etc). Some general advice:

1. Absolutely no typos or grammatical errors.
2. Keep it short. Ideally no more than two pages.
3. If printed, use grey or white paper of high quality.
4. Target your resume if possible.
5. Write a cover letter.
6. Each bullet point should start with an action word, e.g.

- Designed, tested, and implemented new bill processing system.
- Mentored new hires, providing on the job training as needed.

7. Avoid the phrase "responsible for" at the beginning of a bullet point.
8. Paint yourself in the best possible light without lying.
9. Do not lie. Yes, this bears repeating.
10. Find the resume format that makes you look the least inexperienced, most valuable.

There are probably myriad pointers I'm neglecting, but starting with these should help. Some may not be appropriate as you're using email as a medium.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
This is an extremely complicated subject as there are multiple types of resumes for different professions, multiple resume formats (chronological, reverse chronological, experience oriented, etc). Some general advice:

1. Absolutely no typos or grammatical errors.
2. Keep it short. Ideally no more than two pages.
3. If printed, use grey or white paper of high quality.
4. Target your resume if possible.
5. Write a cover letter.
6. Each bullet point should start with an action word, e.g.

- Designed, tested, and implemented new bill processing system.
- Mentored new hires, providing on the job training as needed.

7. Avoid the phrase "responsible for" at the beginning of a bullet point.
8. Paint yourself in the best possible light without lying.
9. Do not lie. Yes, this bears repeating.
10. Find the resume format that makes you look the least inexperienced, most valuable.

There are probably myriad pointers I'm neglecting, but starting with these should help. Some may not be appropriate as you're using email as a medium.
Thank you for the tips!
      04-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'd start off by not listing out every honor class you've ever written. Nor would I mention you've only been driving for a year. I wouldn't put a client in a car with some kid.

If its just being his bitch, then who cares. Toss some shit in there that says you can bee a tool at a chain store and follow commands. Spell everything correctly. Keep it short. If you haven't done anything impressive with your life sometimes listing less is more.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Nor would I mention you've only been driving for a year. I wouldn't put a client in a car with some kid.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'd start off by not listing out every honor class you've ever written. Nor would I mention you've only been driving for a year. I wouldn't put a client in a car with some kid.

If its just being his bitch, then who cares. Toss some shit in there that says you can bee a tool at a chain store and follow commands. Spell everything correctly. Keep it short. If you haven't done anything impressive with your life sometimes listing less is more.

Im just stating that I take Honor classes but for the driving part, your right.

Thanks for the input.
      04-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Are you in high school or college? If your in HS, I wouldn't mention it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

HS. Really? Why do you say that?
      04-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Well you said honors classes. The last time I saw honors classes I was in high school. I think they had them in community college as well. Plus you said driving for a year. Most places you get a license at 16. 17 would = high school.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #13
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well you said honors classes. The last time I saw honors classes I was in high school. I think they had them in community college as well. Plus you said driving for a year. Most places you get a license at 16. 17 would = high school.
Wooooh, im confused here. So besides the fact that im not mentioning the driving part, I shouldn't mention that im in honors either?
      04-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Well I mean it depends. Are you in High School honors? Are you in college? Community college? 4 year university? Graduate school?

If you're in high school I wouldn't go mentioning age or anything. I'd just list school, honors, jobs.

If you're in college then just list your college, major, date of attendance. Relevant activities, such as being the president of a club or something. Membership doesn't mean anything.

Resumes are like what your mother has always said, if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. Less is more. Just give him enough to think you could be competent at getting your coffee. I cant see him hiring anybody but a professional to drive clients around in. Chances are the job would be more like a assistant position I'd assume.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #15
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

I believe so that he needs an assistant. I have no clue what im doing but thats what I highly think he wants because he didnt discuss anything. I thank you very much for your tips and info's. Ill definitely put them into use.
      04-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Glad I can try and help. Not trying to be a dick. I've just learned plenty of lessons on what people dont want to hear, especially on a resume.

Short and sweet. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #17
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep

Oh not at all. I actually enjoyed hearing what you had to say. This is my first time writing a resume and it is something that im not prepared for. Ill let you guys know what the results are.
      04-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
3X5PSI
Private
Rep
Drives: Boost'd 6's

Good tips!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Just found this on my work computer, a guide put together by Stanford about writing resumes and cover letters.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 04-05%20ResumeCoverLetter.pdf (388.5 KB, 1031 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
This is an extremely complicated subject as there are multiple types of resumes for different professions, multiple resume formats (chronological, reverse chronological, experience oriented, etc).

This is very important. It's how you can make yourself look much stronger without having to lie or embellish.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

1. Any and all work experience that you have.

2. Any pertinent things you have specifically learned from classes. Highly emphasize all projects that you have worked on or any homework that you have done. I really cannot stress this enough. It is better to emphasize what you know using examples that just list what you know. Application of your knowledge is the best thing that you can do.

3. What is your objective? Keep it short, simple, and to the point at the top of the resume.

Whenever you are listing your job experience or anything you know, list specific examples. For example, do not say "Strong math skills." Instead, say "Utilized Microsoft Excel to fit quadratic regression curves to complex physics equations for an in-class project." Or something along those lines. That sentence lets your employer know "Well, he seems decent at math, Excel, and probably knows some regression analysis techniques."

Also, anything that you list at work that you have done, make sure that you put down the reason for doing it. So, if you did a large project at work, talk about why you did it. Did it cut losses? Decrease costs? Increase your customer base?
Appreciate 0