ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster 3.0i

Clicking/Knocking from left rear wheel

Ok..... for about 6 months now this has been going on... and off.

-Clicking that is Speed related.
-Usually under accel or heavy braking... 95% of the time... i dont think i have heard it while just rolling but i cant remember really if i have.
-It can be loud sometimes and other times can barely hear.

ITS NOT my ebrake assembly that could be broken in the hub rattling around.. i removed that...

ITS NOT a pebble or rock in the tread... or a nail in the tire

Going over bumps does not cause it...

I will hear it one minute... the next minute i wont.

I thought it was the ebrake cable rubbing on the rotor from when i removed the assembly so i pulled the cable out... put about 2500mi on the car and never heard it.... so i can go a full month and not hear it.... but it just started back today.

I think its in the axle but i really dont know.... the axle boot has no holes or rips... everything physically checks out under the car and looks ok with the exception of my bushing is cracked for the diff mount.... but that should not be causing this lol
      05-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Sounds like the cv joint in the axle/halfshaft but check the halfshaft to diff flange mounting bolts for proper torque.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

will Check it out... thank you!
      05-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Had that once on the right side ....... in the end it was the brake pad sensor coming loose and hitting something.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

little update... it does this even when rolling... its so inconsistant too. i even want to say it sounds like a clicking noise sometimes and a popping noise at other times...

Wish i could stick it on a dyno and get it rolling at about 20-25mph so i can get a closer look... may make some phone calls today and see what i can do.
      05-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I vote CV joint or diff related, possibly wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Reposting from Bimmerpost:

Most brake pad manufacturers have gone to using a "common" backplate across a large model range (Ferrodo has even done this ). The problem this causes is imperfect fitment that can result in a rattle while not under-load and\or knocking when applying initial load.
      05-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

i just dont see how it can be brake pad related.... BUT it does seem to stop everytime i pull everything apart... removed the caliper, pulled the rotor off.... looked at everything and reassembled. The last time i did this i heard it for just a few miles.. was very quiet... then it stopped for almost a month.... started back up... did it again... stopped for a few weeks and just started back up...

it's possible it's in the pads but the sound its making makes no sense.
      05-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

ok did a lot of reading and this is as common as a cold. First thing i will try when i get off work is putting the car in reverse ... backing up quickly for about 10-15ft and slamming on my brakes lol.... would normally pull the e-brake but i dont have one soooo i guess i gotta just try locking them up to try and square the pads up..... i dont think this will solve the problem but its worth a try...

if that doesnt work... going to pull apart everything like i did before and see if it goes away... if it does then its in the pads.. but i doubt thats it...

then if its still there I will set it on fire.....

lol ok really... CV joint or wheel bearing are the only other 2 things to look at. Dont think its a bearing because it doesnt roar.. at all. CV Joint makes me wonder because it doesnt get louder when turning... it is just as loud in a straight line as it is when turning... I think. I will really pay attention to that on my way home though. If there is an increase in volume to the clicking when turning.... CV Joint it is! ... edit... then again its in the rear... not sure how much of a difference its gonna make
      05-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris04Z4 View Post
CV Joint makes me wonder because it doesnt get louder when turning... it is just as loud in a straight line as it is when turning... I think.
Not a front-wheel drive car, therefore rear CV joint won't make any difference turning or straight as the only flex it should see is up or down.
      05-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Not a front-wheel drive car, therefore rear CV joint won't make any difference turning or straight as the only flex it should see is up or down.
yeah i knew that but even in a turn rear wheels flex a little...right? i suppose what i ment was I doubt the flex is even enough to make the difference... meaning taking turns will not identify if its the CV Joint