E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Front License Plates

12-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast and Loud

Garage List
Front License Plates

Just wondering what you guys in VA do about your front LP's. I can't possibly imagine drilling holes into the front of my baby when I get her (e92 335). Just thought I'd ask around to see what other people are doing about it. As I recall Virginia is one of those retard states in which you need front and rear LP's.
      12-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Suck it up, drill the holes. It's not so bad because the license plate covers up the holes so you can't see them.

Seriously, the cops around here look for any excuse to pull you over. My recommendation is just to put on the front plate.
      12-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep

Garage List
:mad: Ok, if I must. WOOO, this gives me an excuse to mount the K40 on the LP!
      12-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Don't listen to BK.

I haven't been pulled over yet. Knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I wonder how long i could wait and keep my Indiana Plates, if i move to VA.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
shim is just too busy detailing to get any actual driving in.
      12-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lets say I do get pulled. Do you have to keep a non-mounted license plate visible behind the windshield? Does anyone know the rules/loopholes? Good excuses maybe...
      12-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Squid
Lets say I do get pulled. Do you have to keep a non-mounted license plate visible behind the windshield? Does anyone know the rules/loopholes? Good excuses maybe...
Well, since I have an E46, I can just pull off the front trim and attach the front license plate holder that I keep in the trunk. Keeping the front license plate is like advertising that you don't have one mounted. I'd just keep one in the trunk just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
shim is just too busy detailing to get any actual driving in.
lies.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Well, since I have an E46, I can just pull off the front trim and attach the front license plate holder that I keep in the trunk. Keeping the front license plate is like advertising that you don't have one mounted. I'd just keep one in the trunk just in case.

lies.
What front trim?
      12-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 06 MINI CooperS

DON'T DRILL HOLES!!!!!!!!....!!!!!

I've wrestled with this 10 ways to Sunday, including just not putting it on (eventually a state trooper will take issue with you) and my ultimate solution is this:

industrial strength velcro available at Home Despot. It will not separate unless you pull really hard, which you can do for cleaning, and you have not marred the vehicle at all should you ever sell or move or decide to go bare and risk it again.

2007 335i Coupe TiAg w/black+silver interior & sport package-Feb or March delivery ...
2006 MINI CooperS vert, Pepper White, Aerokit, ASA wheels & Helix 15% reduction pulley and CAI, Wetokole seatcovers, Sirius & other bits
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Squid
What front trim?
For E46 sedans, we have a molding piece that detaches in the front. E46 coupes and all e90/2s you can't do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMack

I've wrestled with this 10 ways to Sunday, including just not putting it on (eventually a state trooper will take issue with you) and my ultimate solution is this:

industrial strength velcro available at Home Despot. It will not separate unless you pull really hard, which you can do for cleaning, and you have not marred the vehicle at all should you ever sell or move or decide to go bare and risk it again.
Hey that's a really great idea. I was thinking of some sort of magnetic setup so as to give the un-LP'ed mode a cleaner look.
      12-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
For E46 sedans, we have a molding piece that detaches in the front. E46 coupes and all e90/2s you can't do this.

Ahh, I see. Lucky you.
      12-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMack

Pretty good idea. Exactly how hard do you have to pull to get it off? Also, I assume that you just tape the velcro to both the LP (frame?) and bumper? I would hope that the tape, when removed, doesn't take any paint with it
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #15
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I know some members use double-sided tape. Sounds like it would work well.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #16
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 06 MINI CooperS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto
Pretty good idea. Exactly how hard do you have to pull to get it off? Also, I assume that you just tape the velcro to both the LP (frame?) and bumper? I would hope that the tape, when removed, doesn't take any paint with it
My MCS has a license 'backer' plate- a plastic piece designed to fit the bumper. I used the industrial velcro on that (the plate screws into the backer, so I can still use a frame). The adhesive is strong enough not to come loose from rain/water exposure, but it wouldn't take paint off a car.

I had a Mustang GT that I just sold- did the same thing but Ford had no backer plate available, so in that case I did just velcro the plate itself to the bumper.

You do need the super velcro though- the adhesive on the normal stuff is probably not strong enough. I can't imagine even double sided tape being a better solution, and it's far, far better than permanently marring the front bumper of a nice auto...

2007 335i Coupe TiAg w/black+silver interior & sport package-Feb or March delivery ...
2006 MINI CooperS vert, Pepper White, Aerokit, ASA wheels & Helix 15% reduction pulley and CAI, Wetokole seatcovers, Sirius & other bits
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #17
WxSquid
Ask The Chief!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

On my 06 MCS I use a front plate holder that screws into the tow hook hole. Can I take it off and use it on the 335 sedan? Afraid that the gates I'll be going through will demand a front plate...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #18
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WxSquid
On my 06 MCS I use a front plate holder that screws into the tow hook hole. Can I take it off and use it on the 335 sedan? Afraid that the gates I'll be going through will demand a front plate...
Hey! Another Squid. And it's a MCS driver as well! Haha.

Ooo, tow hook! Great idea dude. But I'm afraid the hook's hole would be positioned right in front of one of the air-vents. In the Jetta the hook hole was in front of the intakes vent. If it was on the other side it would be in front of the side-mount intercooler. I guess we'll hafta wait and see.
      12-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #19
fatalglitch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have a custom Euro Plate that says "Got Boost", and I was bothered ONCE in Bethesda, by a cop doing random DUI stops.

He went through the routines, came back, and said, "I'm giving you a verbal warning, cause quite frankly, I love the plate. But it is illegal, and you should put your real plate back on."

Really cool cop! But...I still have my custom plate on. The dealer drilled the car before I got it, and I hate normal front plates, so I just went with a euro plate....Depends if you can get away with it.

Tom
Appreciate 0