BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental)

06-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

International BMW Driving School Nordschleife Aug 1-4

Once a year BMW Club DE runs an international driving school at the Nurburgring. This year, the entire school is on the Nordschleife. It consists of 3 days of sessions on the track with a lead follow format and then open continuous laps. The track is split up into 3 sections and students spend half a day on each of the three sections continuously lapping. This breaks up the 13+ mile long track into more manageable pieces.

For americans living stateside, you can register at: http://www.bmwccaringschool.com/

For anyone living in europe, you can register at:
http://www.fahrerlehrgang.info/englisch_version.html

For US service members, Gov civilians, and US contractors stationed in Germany you can use a VAT form on this.

Price is 1490 Euro VAT inclusive. VAT excluded its 1200 Euro (~$1500 USD).

For stateside US citizens, registering through the BMW CCA its $2200.

Why the cost difference? US citizens have to pay the VAT and the conversion was done back in December when the dollar was considerably weaker. So for those of us stationed in Germany, we are lucky and this is a truly unique opportunity.

Also take a look at the instructor list on the website. Its a who's who in german and international motorsport. For instance ever hear of Hans Stuck? You can get instruction from some world class drivers and maybe even get your car and helmet autographed

PM me if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help and hope to see some of you there.

-Jim
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
That sounds good but I have to save for some BBS's. So everytime i drive around the block I'll just pretend im at the N-ring.
      07-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

wheels you can get any time. how long will you be here and have the opportunity to do this in your new m3? i guarantee when you look back 20 years from now, you would fondly remember this school way more than a set of wheels.
      07-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
krisa9977
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i

This is very good deal! After you finish this school you can drive like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMw_IbGqPo4
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

that was a great lap video. thanks for sharing! i only have 30 laps on there so far. still not sure if its a left or right over the many blind crests. definitely looking forward to getting to know the track better.
      07-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Can't do it this year but I would love to do this. Thx for the info.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

back from ring

had a great time at the school and learned quite a bit.

This school is great and even though a BMW event, it was comprised of about 20 GT3's it seemed. (GT3 and RS - 997.1, and 997.2)

This school is held every august and the only way to learn the ring unless you speak german. For the first 2 days the course is split up into 11 sections and you repeat them 15+ times with instructors leading a small group of 10 cars (14) participants. Before each section begins we drive out slowly and then hop out to walk the more technical corner in that section and talk about the ideal school line with detailed maps. During lapping, the coaches can hop in and help with the line. Whenever i followed our lead coach in his C2S I thought I was doing great until i hopped in his car or with the other coach in a GT3 and they proceeded to double my speed through the same section!

Before the school i was lost on all but maybe 10% of the track. Now I am good for about 70% which is huge. My lap time while very very slow has been dropped by a full minute and at least I know where i'm at. It helps to memorize the section names and be able to identify them because its the only way you can communicate with anyone who knows what they are doing on the track.

The last day you have a full graded lap in the morning with open lapping in the afternoon (not public lapping, just for our school). The graded lap was fun bc they have the instructors hidden in all the major corners and they score you for precision and appropriate speed. I don't remember ever feeling so nervous! They work out the timing so you feel you are pretty much alone on the entire track. It was really fun though. I also found out I placed 3rd in my group and even won a trophy for it. just got it in the mail.

I also got to try a GTR! We had two GTR owners in our group who shipped their cars from the US to come out and play. This very nice gentleman asked me if I wanted to try it as we both had the same driving coach from the states who also attended with him. To say the least, its a really fun car to drive. I'm not a fan of AWD, but you wouldn't see me complaining if I had to drive one around the Nurburgring. They both held up to constant beating on the nordschleife for 3 days so other than going through pads rather quickly they seemed very hearty and up for the task.

A very good friend of mine that came out with me had a loaner E92 M3 with DCT. He has over 300 laps on the track and very quick. Anyways, the M3 held up pretty well, but definitely needs to have a proper cool down. after 2 continuous laps, we were getting pretty serious brake fade. The car was bone stock 2011 model.

Finally on the RS, wow - I couldn't imagine a better car to learn with and the car will put up with hours and hours of continuous hard driving without a hitch. You can also point it pretty much anywhere and it just goes as long as you are confident with the accelerator peddle.

here is video of one of my complete laps with a good friend talking through the turns. he was made an instructor for this school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUlOfL_X6c

sitting at the karussell

-Jim
      08-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Thanks for the write-up Jim!! Looks like you had an amazing time and I look forward to doing this in the future!!!

Thanks for sharing...