BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Thumbs up Update 128i Exhaust

UPDATES AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST

So i have been reading a LOT of posts and been doing a lot of research on an exhaust. I have e-mailed about 20 or so companys and this post might make you go many places. I just want to keep you peeps in the loop and show you whats not advertised very well.

I mainly, but not completely, dealt with Magnaflow because it was a great price for a cat-back.

As some of you might know they have a whole list of many dealers for their products. Sadly many of them either don't have them in stock or they are on back order with no ETA. I was unfortunate enough to get TWO orders paid for and I thought I was GOLDEN. Both of them were full of !@#$

This is how I started my great search for an exhaust. Like I said I e-mailed about 20 companys including every dealer that magnaflow advertises. I Asked all of them the same question: "I Have been searching high and low for a cat-back, axle-back, muffler /w resonator delete or anything like what I just listed. I am also having a hard time because I am stationed in Germany with the USAF. I can't even find a part here. Can you help me?"

I don't want to waste your time so I won't put the people that said no they don't have one.

As of right now this is what they said:

JDP Motorsports is looking into it

CP-E.com Is checking into it and will create a post to get a reaction and to see if the demand is out there. They also said they will need a donor car. I will get you guys a link once it's up.

There are also other companies looking into a muffler that will fit. I was having a hard time with that because of the weird angles. I believe the outlet is somewhere close to 45 degrees and the inlet is the same but this is speculation.

Its pretty sad that it's this hard to get an exhaust of any kind for a German car in Germany.

UPDATE 07/01/10
Looks like I got someone from Beast motor sports wanting me to do this:
"We will need the intake pipe O.D. (outside diameter) dimension of your stock exhaust. Just measure the pipe that goes into your stock muffler twice, once a few inches away from the muffler and again a couple of feet closer to the engine. You can use a piece of string or tape measure for this. Once we have this number, we will have it matched up with the 135i exhaust piping and will see if it will fit as is, or if a Remus adapter pipe is needed."

Now I haven't heard many good things about Remus but perhaps I'm wrong. The vids I saw were so-so having to do with the sound. Any thoughts? Also if anyone already has the numbers or a remus pls let me know.

UPDATE 07/08/10
Looks like Magnaflow has the 128i exhaust listed on their site as In Stock but it's NOT. Thats why i have been having so many problems buying one. Also they are in pre-production and have no ETA. Friggin sad...its been plenty of time to make an exhaust.

UPDATE: 07/15/10
Ok so I am super excited and hopeful this is legit. I have been talking with several german companies and I found an exhaust(bastuck) for 749 euro w/ silencer(resonator) and 698 euro w/o. I do have a Q. Do I have to have a resonator in the state of california? I looked but only saw the law for 95dB's and a muffler.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 07-14-2010 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Great man, keep us posted.
      06-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

So what's the end goal you hope to achieve with the new exhaust. I've been looking for something but I'm pretty particular about what I will put on my car. The BMW performance muffler seems like a nice upgrade but for the price the performance isn't there, are you hoping to gain more hp with the resonator delete? How much are you prepared to pay? What kind of realistic hp gains are you expecting?

Let us know how it goes and if you could take a short video/sound file of the exhaust note before and after that would be great... the last thing I want is my $34,000 car to sound like a civic.
      06-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2178 View Post
So what's the end goal you hope to achieve with the new exhaust. I've been looking for something but I'm pretty particular about what I will put on my car. The BMW performance muffler seems like a nice upgrade but for the price the performance isn't there, are you hoping to gain more hp with the resonator delete? How much are you prepared to pay? What kind of realistic hp gains are you expecting?

Let us know how it goes and if you could take a short video/sound file of the exhaust note before and after that would be great... the last thing I want is my $34,000 car to sound like a civic.
I completely agree with that last sentence. I would be so sad if it went from a muffled beast to an un-muffled pinto at max RPM.

What I want from all upgrades is better sound, performance, response and control. The last two are similar but you get the point. Speed is awesome but when it comes down to it which car do you remember from the street or track...one that is fast or one that looks sick, sounds beastly and handles your moms curves with ease. Figuratively speaking. I love speed but I love cars that put me in my back seat even more. Torque baby TORQUE. Good thing about a lot of torque upgrades is you almost always see an HP gain as well.

Now with this exhaust I want it to sound awesome. What I mean by that Is I want you to hear me coming. This of course is to an extent. I want it to pass all laws in California since I will be residing there when I get out of the military next year. The warranty I'm not to worried about because I intend to do a LOT of work on this. My whole reason for buying my 128I is because I want to make it like, if not better than the 135I. Its just seems like fun to me. I'm even looking into a supercharger but that won't be for awhile. I should start another topic on my idea of a twin charger(1 turbo and 1 super charger) like in the VW. Anyways, back to the exhaust. As far as performance increase...duh i want it to increase but like i said before it must pass Cali's emissions. I'm not to worried about changing out the exhaust if I do add a turbo either. As of right now my main goal is to increase the sound in all RPM ranges and making it deeper. One thing I am unsure of is the max Db allowed in Cali.

The BMW performance exhaust is cool but to expensive for what you are getting. I'm worried that I will have to wait till I get back to the state and get a custom exhaust. I hate waiting but It would most likely be the best thing for now. What I want is the MAX sound possible as long as it doesn't distorted the sound in anyway and as long as it is within Cali Regs.

This is what I want you to be like when I pass you. WOW; maybe even a little from excitment; / or maybe even and to finish it off... that you don't have one. This would make me .

Thank you for reading
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
So i have been reading a LOT of posts and been doing a lot of research on an exhaust. I have e-mailed about 20 or so companys and this post might make you go many places. I just want to keep you peeps in the loop and show you whats not advertised very well.

I mainly, but not completely, dealt with Magnaflow because it was a great price for a cat-back.

As some of you might know they have a whole list of many dealers for their products. Sadly many of them either don't have them in stock or they are on back order with no ETA. I was unfortunate enough to get an order paid for and I thought I was GOLDEN, but then got an e-mail. They said it's on backorder with no ETA, oh and by the way we don't ship to APO but we have it as an option.

This is how I started my great search for an exhaust. Like I said I e-mailed about 20 companys including every dealer that magnaflow advertises. I Asked all of them the same question: "I Have been searching high and low for a cat-back, axle-back, muffler /w resonator delete or anything like what I just listed. I am also having a hard time because I am stationed in Germany with the USAF. I can't even find a part here. Can you help me?"

I don't want to waste your time so I won't put the people that said no they don't have one.

As of right now this is what they said:

JDP Motorsports is looking into it

http://www.hopupracing.com/apssuwrx5sge.html Has one and I was e-mailed that they have it. I just placed an order and will let you know how that goes.

CP-E.com Is checking into it and will create a post to get a reaction and to see if the demand is out there. They also said they will need a donor car. I will get you guys a link once it's up.

https://www.coolcarpartsonline.com/ Is where they said it is on back order with no ETA.

There are also other companies looking into a muffler that will fit. I was having a hard time with that because of the weird angles. I believe the outlet is somewhere close to 45 degrees and the inlet is the same but this is speculation.

I really hope hopupracing.com has the part and can ship it. I will then put this post to bed. Its pretty sad that it's this hard to get an exhaust of any kind for a German car in Germany.

If you have issues, we're an authorized Magnaflow dealer as well. Feel free to shoot over a PM.

I can get you answers real quickly. If Magnaflow is on a national back order status, then I'm sure you'll have to wait regardless of which vendor you're going with.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
If you have issues, we're an authorized Magnaflow dealer as well. Feel free to shoot over a PM.

I can get you answers real quickly. If Magnaflow is on a national back order status, then I'm sure you'll have to wait regardless of which vendor you're going with.
Well I'm not looking for just magnaflow. The company is not important to me. I'm looking for a good price, deep loud sound /w minimal droning and of course pass California emissions. I'm even fine with just a muffler to start but I'm unsure of the specifics of what I should get or else I would have bought one by now. I will PM you though. A cat-back would be awesome. I'm curious why you can't get a magna flow exhaust kit without resonators. Is it because it would sound poopy without them? Like I said I like my exhaust loud.

This is what I think the muffler specs should be. 2.25 inlet / 2.25 duel outlet /w both angled. Not sure of the other specs like length, overall size, if it must be 2.25" and how long the tips should be. If I am wrong or you have anything else to add/sub please do so. I'm here to learn.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
So here is an update

http://www.hopupracing.com/apssuwrx5sge.html said sorry can't ship then didn't try and help. Thanks for nothing hop up racing.

I might want to add something I missed in the original post. I am stationed with the US Air Force in Germany but my Address is APO which is still considered a US address.

Also, would a resonator delete/second cat delete would still make it pass emissions in California? Like I said I want it as loud as can be but still keep it sounding good.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Last NA 6
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I had the BMW Performance exhaust installed the other week after much deliberation. In the end I chose this one because I kind of like the idea of having all the modifications come from BMW and/or Dinan (if Dinan ever makes parts for the 128), and from what I could tell from the low quality youtube videos it still sounded pretty good. To my surprise, it sounds incredible. Basically its like the stock exhaust but much louder, so it still has that sound that only a BMW makes except now, as my neighbors kindly pointed out, people hear you coming.

I know a guy here (CT) who makes custom exhausts, so in a couple years when the warranty is up I'll have him make a nice mid pipe for it. Even with the cat in there, it does make more power, even if its not a huge increase. And the sound is definitely worth the money. Unless you're bent on getting a full system, I think this is a good choice.

Here is a video of it my brother took while playing with his new camera. Neither of us really thought it through first so there is some wind noise, but you get the idea.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax8844 View Post
I had the BMW Performance exhaust installed the other week after much deliberation. In the end I chose this one because I kind of like the idea of having all the modifications come from BMW and/or Dinan (if Dinan ever makes parts for the 128), and from what I could tell from the low quality youtube videos it still sounded pretty good. To my surprise, it sounds incredible. Basically its like the stock exhaust but much louder, so it still has that sound that only a BMW makes except now, as my neighbors kindly pointed out, people hear you coming.

I know a guy here (CT) who makes custom exhausts, so in a couple years when the warranty is up I'll have him make a nice mid pipe for it. Even with the cat in there, it does make more power, even if its not a huge increase. And the sound is definitely worth the money. Unless you're bent on getting a full system, I think this is a good choice.

Here is a video of it my brother took while playing with his new camera. Neither of us really thought it through first so there is some wind noise, but you get the idea.

Nice video dude. amazing quality. Its a bummer I don't have a teleporter so i can see what its like in person.

Mod-bargins is helping me out and getting me a quote so hopefully I will be able to get my magna flow from them. Also I have 2 other companys interested now in making 128i exhaust now I'm happy I am stiring the nest.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
cyrax8844, great video. Damn i need to get the performance exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Oh i didn't really like the exhaust but the video quality was great. I didn't seem to sound much louder or deeper. Remember I said "MUCH" meaning it did increases but not by much. I can't wait for the peeps to get back to me on the exhausts.

One more company(Agency Power) is talking with me about doing an axle-back. Perhaps more but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Update up top
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
So HopUpracing.com is full of !@#$. I ordered the exhaust because they said they have it and their site says they have it but they DON'T. I spent $20 on a wire transfer and they sent me an e-mail say "Oh my bad...we said we had it but now that we have your money...we don't." I mean come on...is this how companys do business now-a-days; offering parts they don't have? I hope they will refund my wire transfer cost as well as the $559. I was so happy but now im back to being sad. I want a friggin exhaust. ARRRRRG!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
So HopUpracing.com is full of !@#$. I ordered the exhaust because they said they have it and their site says they have it but they DON'T. I spent $20 on a wire transfer and they sent me an e-mail say "Oh my bad...we said we had it but now that we have your money...we don't." I mean come on...is this how companys do business now-a-days; offering parts they don't have? I hope they will refund my wire transfer cost as well as the $559. I was so happy but now im back to being sad. I want a friggin exhaust. ARRRRRG!!!
Sorry to hear about ur luck I honestly think the only exhaust we can get with no hassle or proglems is the bmw performance exhaust.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #15
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
So sad to hear that. What about the Remus and Meisterschaft? The Meisterschaft is more costly than the BMW performance one but I wonder if its better. Also I am trying to get Agency Power and CP-E to get me one made.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
So sad to hear that. What about the Remus and Meisterschaft? The Meisterschaft is more costly than the BMW performance one but I wonder if its better. Also I am trying to get Agency Power and CP-E to get me one made.
My personal opinion is that Remus products aren't great. Never heard a good-great review from them. Meisterschaft, for that cost, it just doesn't seem worth it in my eyes.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
My personal opinion is that Remus products aren't great. Never heard a good-great review from them. Meisterschaft, for that cost, it just doesn't seem worth it in my eyes.....
I agree on both opinions. Tha magnaflow seem like a great price and it from a company I know makes good parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
K03sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver GTI, yeah I know...

I'm not up to speed on all of the companies that are offering 128 or 135 parts, but when it comes to an exhaust, a lot of the parts are universal. To me the most crucial part of the exhaust is the diameter of the pipes and the type of bends or even the lack of them.

The muffler can be tricky just because there are so many different types of internal design - straight through, chambered, or a combination of the two.

A lot of the straight through mufflers have perforated tubes surrounded by fiberfill, while others, like Corsa, have frequency trapping chambers like a gun silencer, but is otherwise straight through. The options could be endless.

Here is a company that may have something for you. They don't list any BMW systems, but they do sell mufflers and nice double walled tips. AWE Tuning uses them for their VW systems.

I know you said you want loud, but you don't want a resonator. The resonator is there to "shape" the tone and eliminate or reduce unwanted high freqs. Not using a resonator can open the door for harsh or buzzy tones. Most resonators are straight through flow with a perforated pipe surrounded by an empty can.

Who is contracted to make the BMW performance system?

Also, why not use a 2.5" IN/OUT. 2.25" seems a bit conservative, especially for "loud".
      07-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #19
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K03sport View Post
I'm not up to speed on all of the companies that are offering 128 or 135 parts, but when it comes to an exhaust, a lot of the parts are universal. To me the most crucial part of the exhaust is the diameter of the pipes and the type of bends or even the lack of them.

The muffler can be tricky just because there are so many different types of internal design - straight through, chambered, or a combination of the two.

A lot of the straight through mufflers have perforated tubes surrounded by fiberfill, while others, like Corsa, have frequency trapping chambers like a gun silencer, but is otherwise straight through. The options could be endless.

Here is a company that may have something for you. They don't list any BMW systems, but they do sell mufflers and nice double walled tips. AWE Tuning uses them for their VW systems.

I know you said you want loud, but you don't want a resonator. The resonator is there to "shape" the tone and eliminate or reduce unwanted high freqs. Not using a resonator can open the door for harsh or buzzy tones. Most resonators are straight through flow with a perforated pipe surrounded by an empty can.

Who is contracted to make the BMW performance system?

Also, why not use a 2.5" IN/OUT. 2.25" seems a bit conservative, especially for "loud".
Nice post. Thank you for that resonator lesson. As far as the 2.25 tubing...well thats just what the car uses. I have never made much of any modifications on any cars. I have started with this car. I have done a couple mods since i bought it and I want to do an exhaust now. I just don't know how big(tube size) I can go without getting into trouble. I don't know where to look either. I was wanting to get the magnaflow because its an good product for really cheap. I found it on sale for $559 for a cat-back...but its still in production. I'm having a really hard time making a decision on what to do now. I don't want to make a bad one.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
K03sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver GTI, yeah I know...

Quote:
I just don't know how big(tube size) I can go without getting into trouble. I don't know where to look either.
If the car already uses 2.25" and you buy an exhaust system that uses 2.25, the only things you will gain are better bends and slightly better flow/sound from the muffler. Remember, the factory system is a compromise of performance, cost, and longevity.

Going up to a 2.5" (after the cat) is only a marginal increase, but the slightly larger diameter will allow a marked increase is exhaust flow. The engine is an air pump and improving the engine's ability to inhale and exhale will help it perform better. Granted, everything pre-cat hasn't changed, but altering that will not go over will with CA emissions peeps.

If you were going forced induction, a 3" system would yield better results, but if you are staying NA, I wouldn't go above 2.5"

UUC uses Corsa mufflers, but only makes a 135i system.

Turner Motor Sports has a 128i project car. However their exhaust offerings (Borla, Corsa, and SuperSprint) are labeled for the 135i.

Hottexhaust.com sells magnaflow products, but again, only lists the 135i.

There are loads more vendors, but I'll let you do the looking.
      07-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Dude I have been looking. I have been e-mailing company after company. I have been calling companys and they are saying either they don't have a 128 exhaust or they are thinking about making one... Your thinking about making one? This car came out in 2008. Thank you on the forced induction call. Any sites you can post for facts on that? Are you saying not to go 3" TILL I get the forced induction(SC/TC) upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

I went through this search a couple of weeks ago. No one had anything to the 128. So I ended up a Berk Tech 135 exhaust and I'm having it adapted to my 128.

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0