BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Social Smoking

07-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
TheRealPeterman
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w/ZPP

Social Smoking

Hi All,
I am new to this site, so hello all again!!

My dilemma is recently, about 3 weeks ago, I got the urge to smoke when I'm around my friends are present, drinking, having a good time.

I know I'm not 15 and peer pressured into doing it, I just decided to try it for myself. Made me dizzy at first, my buddy said "dont take such monster hits off of that shit", but the overall feeling is good.

My wife does not know. I only smoke 1-2 every weekend since then. I'm afraid of developing a dependence on these things...

Thoughts appreciated....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
just stop... nuff said.

I was a pretty big athlete in HS, played soccer for 4 yrs and could run for days, even a sub 5 min mile (never ran cross country cuz I was playing soccer all 4 seasons). Anyway, I decided not to play in college and after a horrible 1st semester away (hated the college) I came home and did community college. All my friends who were home were smokers, some had even been smoking since like 12-13 yrs old. I caved in and started with just smoking clove/flavored cigarettes and stuff like that every now and then but then I started bumming the real ones from these friends and thus got addicted. I never was a HEAVY smoker, maybe 1/2 a pack a day but it lasted for 8 years. The biggest problem was that I LIKED IT. It was kinda hard to quit, took me 2 rounds of Chantix but I'm glad I did. It's been 10 months and it was one of the best choices I've ever made.

The point of all that is of course you like it, of course its easy to say I only do it so often but its called "addicitve" for a reason. I promise you that in time it will go from social smoking to a regular thing, thats how it works. You don't wanna get addicted. It's dirty (smells), extremely unhealthy and if that isn't enough... it's so fricking expensive these days. 1/2 the reason I was able to afford my 135i was because I'm not spending $200 a month on cigarettes!

Just stop while you're ahead. Chew a piece of gum instead or something. Like I said, it starts as something "casual" but 99/100 times turns into more within a few months.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Yea I used to smoke some blacks every now and then...definitely calms you down...but I quit before it got a habit..and I don't crave them at all really..

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
TheRealPeterman
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w/ZPP

Yeah,
I've told myself that as well, stop now before it becomes a serious addiction.
Right now it's exciting because it feels 'bad'; my wife definitely would not approve if she found out.

Just wanted to share that, definitely will stop before I have an addiction problem, let alone the expense associated with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i dont like smoking cigs, but i will smoke maybe 5 a month socially if that.

if i smoke when being social, its usually cigars
      07-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPeterman View Post
Right now it's exciting because it feels 'bad'; my wife definitely would not approve if she found out.
Just wanted to share that, definitely will stop before I have an addiction problem, let alone the expense associated with that.
Thats what he said
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

lol

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Uhhh...

I wouldn't be doing something my wife wouldn't approve of behind her back without telling her, but I'm only 20 so what do I know? If you have to ask about it, it isn't worth it.
      07-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i have a similar issue with chewing i stopped at the urging of my girlfriend last summer and have started again without her knowing. feel a little guilty about it so i kinda quit again(havent had one for couple weeks)

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Ugh my brother is a super heavy smoker. I can't stand it, he smells like a damned ashtray all the time. Do yourself a favor and just stop.

I had a roommate in college who was a massive pothead. Couldn't stand him for the same reasons

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i have a similar issue with chewing i stopped at the urging of my girlfriend last summer and have started again without her knowing. feel a little guilty about it so i kinda quit again(havent had one for couple weeks)

I don't know man...how would you like if she was doing something you wouldn't like and not telling you? That's the way I see it.
      07-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ugh my brother is a super heavy smoker. I can't stand it, he smells like a damned ashtray all the time. Do yourself a favor and just stop.

I had a roommate in college who was a massive pothead. Couldn't stand him for the same reasons

This.

Also, username, avatar and sig pic = win
      07-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Tessio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

If you're smoking 1-2 a week, you're not a smoker

DO NOT START.

I've been a heavy smoker since I was 13. I love the habit, always have, but I'm 30 years into it. I know I can look forward to either an early cardio-pulmonary death, cancer, or at best, slow suffocation via emphysema. I started during my hellraising years and I honestly thought then that I'd never see 40 because a car wreck or other violent death would get me before that milestone. Now I'm 40 and one hell of an addict and not much of a hellraiser any more.

High prices, social isolation and being a robotic slave to nicotine are only the mild problems.

Stop while you can.

Don't look back.

You need to do something social, grab your girl
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
dude quit smoking. my wifes boss just died from it. at first she was just coughing then it turned into chemo. like 2 weeks later she died. dont let it happen to you. plus its a nasty habit. women dont really dig men who smoke. your finger tips change color and your breath smells/ gum ccant even save you.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

I started about two years ago. Tried it for stress management and it worked but I only had a few on the weekends. Eventually the habit moved to a few a day/everyday (which is what others have echoed here- it'll go heavier as you continue) but that is where it plateaued for me. As of now, I don't really get urges and can stop when I want but it's still a good feeling. Ever since I started, the longest I've gone without one is about 5 weeks (in this situation-Vegas caved me) and I tend to think of myself as a social smoker as well, but obviously common sense tells everyone it will get more addictive so I am on the path to quitting completely and turning down cigarettes at social situations.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
scromp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i E90 Montego

I tried to start smoking in college but I could never remember to do it. For the best, really. Don't smoke, it sucks for you and everyone else. Terrible idea all around.

Drink instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessio View Post
DO NOT START.

I've been a heavy smoker since I was 13. I love the habit, always have, but I'm 30 years into it. I know I can look forward to either an early cardio-pulmonary death, cancer, or at best, slow suffocation via emphysema. I started during my hellraising years and I honestly thought then that I'd never see 40 because a car wreck or other violent death would get me before that milestone. Now I'm 40 and one hell of an addict and not much of a hellraiser any more.

High prices, social isolation and being a robotic slave to nicotine are only the mild problems.

Stop while you can.

Don't look back.

You need to do something social, grab your girl
Depends.

I smoked socially in college. My freshman year I started buying cigs, just b/c I usually had to wait for them to get out of class and would smoke. I never ever had the urge to smoke. I did it when I was bored. Quit doing it when I graudated.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

As everyone else has said... stop while you're ahead. It will turn into a habit even if it's only a few a week.

I started the same way... just a few during the week with friends. It just got worse from there - up to a pack a day! Thankfully I was able to quit but not before 8 years had passed.

Quit before you're hooked.
      07-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

please quit. it is an absolute certainty that you will have zero to gain from smoking.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Give it up NOW!!!

I am a smoker, not social, not just when I drink; I smoke, period. Trust me when I say it does not matter how few cigarettes you smoke now, you will smoke more eventually.

"NOBODY started out by smoking a pack a day!!!"

If you need a drug, try coke; it's less addictive than nicotine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #21
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Give it up NOW!!!

I am a smoker, not social, not just when I drink; I smoke, period. Trust me when I say it does not matter how few cigarettes you smoke now, you will smoke more eventually.

"NOBODY started out by smoking a pack a day!!!"

If you need a drug, try coke; it's less addictive than nicotine.
Coca-Cola or Cocaine? It might be less addictive, but its 10000 * worst if he DOES get addictive to Cocaine.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
please quit. it is an absolute certainty that you will have zero to gain from smoking.
But you'll have lots of super cool friends!

Appreciate 0