BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

07-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Safe to replace the 35watt H8 halo bulb for 100watt?

Like the thread title says, I want to replace mine with a set of H8 100watt bulbs.

I worry since the factory bulb output it just a mere 35watts. Can someone give me an educated response as what would happen? Would the filament in the bulb simply snap from excessive heat build up or would the whole glass bulb explode? Possibly fry the connecting wires?

Common sense tells me I shouldn't do it, especially since the bulb casing is sealed up with zero ventilation.

Thx in advance.

Last edited by bavarian06; 07-05-2010 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Your common sense is good. It would generate so much more heat and I don't believe the wiring was done with enough headroom in mind. I've seen a lot of cars with overwatted headlight bulbs and what usually happens is the wires slowly melt, the bases melt and it makes for some difficult repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian06 View Post
Like the thread title says, I want to replace mine with a set of H8 100watt bulbs.

I worry since the factory bulb output it just a mere 35watts. Can someone give me an educated response as what would happen? Would the filament in the bulb simply snap from excessive heat build up or would the whole glass bulb explode? Possibly fry the connecting wires?

Common sense tells me I shouldn't do it, especially since the bulb casing is sealed up with zero ventilation.

Thx in advance.