07-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Best X1 Resale Spec???

Hi All

My wife and I are looking quite seriously at ordering a new X1 and would be very interested to know you’re opinions as to what you consider important when it comes to the specification best for resale in a few years time for an X1.
  • 1.8d or 2.0d?
  • sDrive or xDrive?
  • Leather or Anthracite/Median Cloth?
  • SatNav?
  • Bluetooth?
  • USB Interface?

Which colours do you all feel are safest for resale? Black, White, Silver…?

Your opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks;

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Jimi
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xdrive 18d

We drive this car for now 2 month and it is a real pleasure.

18D or 20D.
It is the same Motor (2,0L).
143cv / 320Nm for the 18D and 177cv / 350Nm for the 20D.

We tried the 20D and bought the 18D, the difference isn't big enough by comparison with the difference with the Price.

We choose The 18D XDrive Luxe Finition (In France).
Colour: Marachesh Brown.
XLine.
Leather Brown.
IDrive Gen. 2.
Dark Rear Glass !
etc...

It is a real good choice.

At first we were interested by an Audi A4 All Road, but now no regret.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Hi All

My wife and I are looking quite seriously at ordering a new X1 and would be very interested to know you’re opinions as to what you consider important when it comes to the specification best for resale in a few years time for an X1.
  • 1.8d or 2.0d?
  • sDrive or xDrive?
  • SatNav?
  • Bluetooth?
  • USB Interface?

Thanks;
Hi LRS,

I can give you a very generic idea of what generally is important in a "prestige" car in the UK although there are many different opinions on the matter.

Colour - Silver, Black, Blue are the "safest"
Leather seats
Sound upgrade
Wheel upgrade
Automatic
SatNav

Saying that the above might make your car easier to sell 3 years or so down the line but will probably only add about £1000 to the value of the car. Those options will cost you £4500 now!

As far as 1.8/2.0/2.3 is concerned, historically the smaller engines in each model have higher residuals. You will probably find the SDrive 1.8d or 2.0d manual will retain its value the best. The lower down the range you go the less options are expected (and of course they are a lot cheaper to begin with).

Or you can be like me and just say sod it, I have to live with the car for 3 years minimum so I put in what I like for safety/practical/fun reasons.

Hope I have not confused matters more for you, as I said its just my opinion as a car lover
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all for your feedback and I understand that my question is quite a personal one, a little like buying a tie - some you love and some not so much.

So this is where we kind of are::

Our colour choices are: Black, White or Space Grey. The Marrakesh Brown is my wifes favorite choice, but feels it could be a real pain to sell on in the future as it will probably be a bit like Marmite - you ether love it or hate it.

We will probably go for the 1.8d in xDrive: I do like the idea of 4x4 especially with our last winter and also the fact that my rear wheel drive 335d could not move an inch during the snow! As the X1 is quite small I think the 1.8d should be more than capable of moving it for day to day driving.

Regards to the interior, it seems that 90% of X1s for sale second hand have the Median Cloth with very few having leather, so I think we will choose the cloth option. The cloth option also saves having to buy heated seats, which are fundamental to have with cold leather seats, but not with warmer cloth.

Also very, very few have SatNav. We will, however, add the Bluetooth and the USB interface as these are options that I feel people would expect to find in a secondhand car nowadays.

Lastly we will add Cruise Control option.

Still to be decided on are:

- DAB Digital Radio
- Xenon Headlights

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback and I understand that my question is quite a personal one, a little like buying a tie - some you love and some not so much.

So this is where we kind of are::

Our colour choices are: Black, White or Space Grey. The Marrakesh Brown is my wifes favorite choice, but feels it could be a real pain to sell on in the future as it will probably be a bit like Marmite - you ether love it or hate it.

We will probably go for the 1.8d in xDrive: I do like the idea of 4x4 especially with our last winter and also the fact that my rear wheel drive 335d could not move an inch during the snow! As the X1 is quite small I think the 1.8d should be more than capable of moving it for day to day driving.

Regards to the interior, it seems that 90% of X1s for sale second hand have the Median Cloth with very few having leather, so I think we will choose the cloth option. The cloth option also saves having to buy heated seats, which are fundamental to have with cold leather seats, but not with warmer cloth.

Also very, very few have SatNav. We will, however, add the Bluetooth and the USB interface as these are options that I feel people would expect to find in a secondhand car nowadays.

Lastly we will add Cruise Control option.

Still to be decided on are:

- DAB Digital Radio
- Xenon Headlights
Hi LRS,

I test drove every model and the 1.8d has plenty of power in normal driving. I was amazed actually by the performance to be honest. As a committed petrol head this will be the first diesel I have ever owned and I am really looking forward to it. I opted for the 2.0d XDrive as I felt that it just gave me that little bit extra and it was not that much more (after discount ). I intend to take it skiing up north

Agree with the Sat Nav, way too expensive. I opted to spend more on the seats.

I agree about the brown, not sure its going to catch on and may look dated after a few years. I went for the silver as it matches the XLine trim very well.

Couple of things wrt the options.

1. Bluetooth - There are two options without Sat Nav, 644 and a new one from Sept (not listed yet), 6NN. The first one has an outside aerial and a cradle in the armrest. The new one only connects to the car sound system. Its less than half the price at £200.

2. Cruise control - There is a new Comfort Pack (not listed yet) from Sept, ZXD, which replaces the current one. It includes cruise control, front/rear PDC, Interior Lights, rain sensor and auto rear mirror. New price for this is £660.

Hope this helps a bit.

(For the couple of people who have asked, no I do not work for BMW. I have no connection to the car industry, just a good relationship with my local BMW/Mini dealer)

Last edited by mario486; 07-14-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: PS:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

I don't live in the UK and definitely no expert on resale values, but my thoughts re the Sat Nav was that in BMW's case, it is not only Sat Nav but helps operate the CD/radio etc much easier, and would that not be more appealing and hence increase the resale value?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
I'm personally surprised this thread even exists.

When you're paying the dollars we are for chosing a premium marque over a non-premium marque, aren't you buying the car for you and not for resale?

I plan to, and have, spec'd my vehicle how I want it for ME. In my case, i'm going for the reddish brown colour leather interior. Will that be to everyone's taste? I can't imagine. But then again, neither is the x1 to everyone's taste, with many threads on the forums dividing people down the middle on looks alone.

So yeah, I'm speccing my car for ME, not for resale. I've always been told blue bmw's don't sell. I've had two now and had no trouble selling the first and don't think i'll have any trouble selling the 2nd one (fingers crossed). Bottom line, I buy my cars for me.
      07-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxx View Post
I don't live in the UK and definitely no expert on resale values, but my thoughts re the Sat Nav was that in BMW's case, it is not only Sat Nav but helps operate the CD/radio etc much easier, and would that not be more appealing and hence increase the resale value?
Hi Boxx, you are right in that the SatNav option ties in the radio/phone/cd nicely giving you a central interface controlled via the icontroller. If you selling it privately it would probably make it easier to sell but would not add much to the vaue, in the UK at least.

Thing about resale here. The X1 is upmarket but its not "uber-prestige". The more upmarket you go the more options are expected. For example a 5-series should really be an auto. Not so the X1. SatNav on a 7-series is expected, not many X1's will have the option.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave View Post

When you're paying the dollars we are for chosing a premium marque over a non-premium marque, aren't you buying the car for you and not for resale?

I plan to, and have, spec'd my vehicle how I want it for ME. In my case, i'm going for the reddish brown colour leather interior. Will that be to everyone's taste? I can't imagine. But then again, neither is the x1 to everyone's taste, with many threads on the forums dividing people down the middle on looks alone.

So yeah, I'm speccing my car for ME, not for resale. I've always been told blue bmw's don't sell. I've had two now and had no trouble selling the first and don't think i'll have any trouble selling the 2nd one (fingers crossed). Bottom line, I buy my cars for me.
If you’re going to keep the car until you scrap it then your completely right, choose anything YOU want with the car as you will be the only ever owner of the car.

The problem is that on the whole UK second-hand buyers can be quite picky and dismissive if certain options are missing. You then end up with a car that you either have to give away at a cheap price or it sits on your driveway for months and months waiting to be sold and costing you loads of money to keep advertising it. Because mainstream cars – not classic cars or special limited editions, are so numerously available in the UK second-hand market, people are ultra fussy on the spec and quickly dismiss anything that does not exactly match their perception of what a given model of car should have.

Unfortunately most of this is based on a 'sheep' mentality e.g. if everyone is buying silver cars, then this must be the best colour. Sadly, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

I am sorry but I do not agree. This thread exists because someone had a valid question and I for one have learnt a lot from others experiences with the X1 and its very expensive options. For many resale is a concern 3-4 years down the line and the X1 is sensitive to it because its relatively cheap (yes it is!) with expensive options. You can quite easily add 40% to the price of the base model which, when it comes to a resale, you will be lucky to get 5% back.

I have also specced the car as I would like it but I do believe you can "over spec" it which is fine if you are prepared to write this off over 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
mario486 & LRS

Perhaps it's a bit different over there in the UK. I know your standard spec is a bit lower than ours here in Oz too so perhaps spec is a bit more sensitive over there. No doubt here in Oz, our supply isn't as high as yours, making buyers less fussy.

I know, based on list price, i'm adding about 19% of the value of car on top in extras. Do I expect to get 19% more in 3-4 years if i go to sell it? Absolutely not. Do I expect to get any extra? Absolutely, but no where near th 19%. Depreciation's a bitch but it's going to happen regardless of how you spec your car. For me, those years of driving a car exactly how I wanted it, having not simply accepted it cause it might mean a lose less dollars in the long run on options, is worth the loss. (And before you make any assumptions about my financial health, believe me, I work hard to get into my BMWs. I finance my purchases and don't have a big bucket of money or family inheritance or some other funding source to piss up the wall, so i'm certainly not one to frivolously throw away cash.)

Horses for courses I guess. I don't mean to question the validity of the original post, I guess I didn't understand the sensitivity of the UK marketplace. Sorry if I've offended.
      07-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
mario486 & LRS

Perhaps it's a bit different over there in the UK. I know your standard spec is a bit lower than ours here in Oz too so perhaps spec is a bit more sensitive over there. No doubt here in Oz, our supply isn't as high as yours, making buyers less fussy.

I know, based on list price, i'm adding about 19% of the value of car on top in extras. Do I expect to get 19% more in 3-4 years if i go to sell it? Absolutely not. Do I expect to get any extra? Absolutely, but no where near th 19%. Depreciation's a bitch but it's going to happen regardless of how you spec your car. For me, those years of driving a car exactly how I wanted it, having not simply accepted it cause it might mean a lose less dollars in the long run on options, is worth the loss. (And before you make any assumptions about my financial health, believe me, I work hard to get into my BMWs. I finance my purchases and don't have a big bucket of money or family inheritance or some other funding source to piss up the wall, so i'm certainly not one to frivolously throw away cash.)

Horses for courses I guess. I don't mean to question the validity of the original post, I guess I didn't understand the sensitivity of the UK marketplace. Sorry if I've offended.
No problem. To give you an idea the X1 will lose about 50% of its base price over 3 years. Options will add very little to this. Its still a bit early in the model life but a £26k 2.0d with £4k of options will be worth about £13k +£500 for the options after this time. In this case, with the options, it will lose about 55%. Its about damage control but I think like you, I buy a car because I like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:

I happen to agree somewhat with Dave. Can any one really predict what the actual market value for a vehicle will be in 3-4 years? If you can, then I'd like to take a look into your crystal ball and get next weeks winning lottery #'s!

Basing a buying decision on what's popular today and ordering a vehicle that you think someone else will like in 3-4 years, just doesn't make any sense.

If there are concerns with resale value, do you have the option of leasing?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep

Welcome to the madness of the UK…

I grew up in California and sometimes find the way people buy cars as well as buy and sell houses here beyond imagination. UK car buyers can be excessively anal when it comes to making a personal car purchase, with the problem being that you have no choice but to become the same as this false ‘resale’ really drives the used car market and its prices. Unfortunately cars and houses have become investment transactions that must make a return or maximum residual value.

Gone are the days of purchasing a car based solely on the fact that you like it. Life has become much more complicated with an average purchase now consisting of.

What make and model of car:

- Is most reliable?
- Has the lowest C02?
- Has the best MPG?
- Has the best residual resale value?
- Has the lowest insurance costs?
- Is the least likely to be abused in the car park by antisocial behaviour?
- Fits the right social categorization demographics you want to portray?
- Etc, etc……………..

I’d be interested to know if this car buying charade is unique to the UK or if this also happens in other countries?

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
mrbodhi
Rep
Drives: Mini Copper S

I would suggest that you for the sports seats...the good investment if you dont want back pains...do a search in this forum to hear some complain about the standard seats. Xenon lights also a must.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Nash
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d

No, I am afraid Australia is much the same as the UK, perhaps even worse because new cars are horrendously expensive compared to the US and second hand cars retain so much of the original value - when they are perceived as luxury brands and small to mid-size. Larger luxury brand cars will fall substantially but a 1 series will resale for a price incredibly close to its original purchase price. The problem is compounded by the relatively small size of the luxury car market compared to other countries... the outlier colours therefore have to rely on their being someone in the market with the same "quirky" taste during the resale period.
The luxury brands are, I think most would agree judging from Redbook.com.au, Mercedes, BMW with Lexus and Audi less able to hold their value. Different models across the brand's range can alter the overall picture, however... so, yes, getting colour and specs right is worth a lot in the long run. And as much as I would like to buy freely, I am too poor and change my car every two years, to be able to do so. Boring!

Quote:
Welcome to the madness of the UK…

I grew up in California and sometimes find the way people buy cars as well as buy and sell houses here beyond imagination. UK car buyers can be excessively anal when it comes to making a personal car purchase, with the problem being that you have no choice but to become the same as this false ‘resale’ really drives the used car market and its prices. Unfortunately cars and houses have become investment transactions that must make a return or maximum residual value.

Gone are the days of purchasing a car based solely on the fact that you like it. Life has become much more complicated with an average purchase now consisting of.

What make and model of car:

- Is most reliable?
- Has the lowest C02?
- Has the best MPG?
- Has the best residual resale value?
- Has the lowest insurance costs?
- Is the least likely to be abused in the car park by antisocial behaviour?
- Fits the right social categorization demographics you want to portray?
- Etc, etc……………..

I’d be interested to know if this car buying charade is unique to the UK or if this also happens in other countries?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #17
ortos
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

In Turkey, A prestige car should have;
-Glass roof (a must)
-Xenon headlights
-Cruise control
-Leather seats
-2000cc (maximum) engine (because of taxes)
-Automatic gearbox
-White or black colour

Quote:
Hi All

• 1.8d or 2.0d?
  • sDrive or xDrive?
  • SatNav?
  • Bluetooth?
  • USB Interface?

Thanks;
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #18
Stilling
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive 2,0D

Hmm, i agry with BMWdave on this if you are going to drive the car for 3 years, spec it for you only.

I can se that there is some differences in the markets, here in scandinavia it helps to have high spec cars but its not something you will get alot for when you sell it again.
The new satnav is fantastic, but i think its outrageous priced, and BMW satnav have always been, by the way - in my opinion.

I got a new Mini Clubman some years ago and i went for the safe pepperwhite one and i was very anoied every time i saw a braun, so spec it for you.

Now the market here is very sensitive about kilometers, and i drive like 60000 of the every year, so i´m getting them 4-6 month old and sell them with in a year, so thats about getting the one with the most for the money and this time i would have had a brown, if there was one, so its silver, with Ipod integration witch is a must for me.
Appreciate 0