E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Bad Experience with Shiv Vishnu

12-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
PapaBoomBoom
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Bad Experience with Shiv Vishnu

I feel it is necessary that those who are reading this thread understand my experience with Shiv Vishnu. I visited a few sites and was excited about performance tuning my 335i. The Xede seemed to be a fairly quick way to boost performance without flashing the ECU and, since I add power commanders to my motorocycles, I have had some experience with engine managemet modification systems. I set up an appointment 30 days in advance to have the Xede installed by Shiv. They charged me a deposit of $260.00. I was excited about the day and picked up my son in Berkeley, CA and drove to some third party location in Livermore. I live near Santa Cruz, so it was about a 120 mile trip to get to the location. At approx. 9:50 (my appt was for 10am) Shiv called me to say that his shipment of boost solenoids had not arrived and he was waiting for them. Told me he would be about 1/2 hour late. At 11 am he called again and said that he was trying to get his hands on a usded solenoid from other sources and would be there in 30 minutes. At 11:50am I called him again and asked where he was. He told me he had arrived and was in the back of the business.

I find it appallingly poor business that a customer who ordered an installation over a month ago had to wait two hours. When Shiv arrived he did not have the common decency to meet me immediately and apologize for the long delay. He walked out, did not introduce himself, and showed me two used solenoids and indicated it would be another 2-2.5 hours for the installation. HE actually seemed annoyed that I questioned the use of a used part for a $1300 purchase telling me repeatedly, it's only a $15 part. I cancelled the installation and left. No goodbyes, no I'm sorries. He did refund my deposit.

This young man may be a good tuner and the XEDE may work well, but this fellow is no businessman. He has no people or obviously no inventory skills and the business seems to be run as a very small, out-of-the-back-seat kind of operation. His website is filled with grammatical typos and their forthrightness with regards to warranty violations is not as clear as it should be.

I am disappointed but will wait fo Dinan Engineering to deliver engine performance products. I have used their products in the past. Dinan is a first class organization and has a strong understanding of how performance tuning will affect the longevity of your car. Plus, much of what Dinan does to your car does not violate/impact the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Per your post. You have many grammatical errors. Shit happens in life. People are late sometimes. Maybe he was having a very bad day. You have no idea nor did you give any time for explanation. You are the type of person that gives BMW owners a bad reputation. Maybe they did forget to order a part for your 335. It happens. Here is the funny thing about life. People make mistakes. Jump on your high horse and ride back into the pacific ocean. You live once. Enjoy it. Don't fret over insignificant things.

I am sure that you have made a mistake in your life once or twice. It is bound to happen. Yes, first impressions make an impact. But, that is always why you should give a second chance. No more, no less.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
fairtex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06' 350z, 03' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
You have many gramatical errors.

Quote:
You are the type of people...

12-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

fairtex, I guess I am ignorant and don't understand your post. I don't claim to be a writer or an editor. If I am going to state a claim and confront somebody about something, then I am going to make sure I don't do the same thing.

Anywho. Is that better? Flame on....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Your incident should have ended with you cancelling the installation. Not joining a forum (you only have one post), deliberately to flame and put down a tuner. It would be a different opinion, though if you were hear before, but like I said, you only have one post.

Your comment on his business seemingly like a "backseat" operation fumbles me. If anything, from many of the threads and feedbacks I hear, it seems that "Shiv's" type of business is the type to offer more personal service, rather than generalize a customer in the crowd. Its fine to not be content and cancel things, but not join a forum with the intent of flaming...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

I too am having a problem with Vishnu. I ordered an Xede when they were first available. About 15 days ago I wrote an email to request cancellation of my order (higher priority expenses came up). I have called Vishnu a bunch of times and received no answer. I have sent a couple follow up emails, as well as PMs to Calvin, Shiv, and Dustin... I STILL have not heard anything back regarding my request and my bank account does NOT show that this request has been acted upon.

I agree with OP that Shiv is missing some basic business etiquette. I was planning on placing a new order in a couple months, but at this point I am so put off by the lack of response to a simple refund request that I will not be working with Shiv again.

I understand that a company may be slammed with work during the roll-out of a new product, but you ALWAYS need to make sure your customer service department doesn't suffer as a result.

P.S. I am an owner of a small software company. We are constantly rolling out new products, it is constantly hectic... but we always make sure someone handles client requests in a timely fashion.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

geoff. Seems like they do lack customer service. Also, what kind of software do you produce?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Well, I dont know Shiv or Vishnu's "business etiquette", but as far as not receiving emails or getting through on the phone.....its the holidays! They may, dare I say it, at home with their families or on vacation?

If I were you, I'd chill and just wait till after the New Year. If its the same after that time, the go ahead and start flaming Vishnu. But give them the chance they deserve first. They've come on the forum and answered every stupid question we've had for them.

Oh and one last thing. Remember that they have other vehicles they provide parts and service to besides the 335. Like Subaru's, Evo's, etc....

Peace
      12-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I can see where you are coming from, but at the same time I never would have acted the way that you did and spite myself when a small problem arises like waiting for a boost solenoid (which is a simple part that you could have swapped out at a later time if you had him order you a new one if that bothered you that the part was used). Maybe you feel that for 1300 you shouldn't have to do any of this, but then you probably shouldn't modify your car if you don't like to do any work to your car or want any compromises with it. BTW, as far as dinan parts are concerned, after you read the fine print and pay their rediculous pricing for parts and dealer installs, you will see that your warranty isn't as bulletproof as you may think. Also, I usually type with grammatical errors so you don't need to point them out.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l

Last edited by BoostedBMW; 12-27-2006 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

I think it's important that everyone with experience be allowed to write without being flamed or censored. The good opinions are numerous and glowing but it sounds like Vishnu is having some growing pains that all successful businesses and products must deal with. Opinions of the latter are just as valid.

I'm ordering a Xede, I'm just waiting for it to be truly production ready as I've stated in prior threads. Remember this product from conception to its current state is only a couple/few months old. What is being reported in the OP is typical of most early adopters in any type of technology product. What has been reported with other experiences is atypical and outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Its good to get some insight into vishnu since many of us are thinking about the Xede tune.

However, there some things here I just dont understand. Anyone with any kind of search ability would know that Vishnu is a very small, I hesitate even to use the word business, organization that mods cars and does a good job at it.

If I were you I would have swallowed my Ego and let Vish tune my car...

Jason
      12-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
pincud
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Problems with BMW 335i - and XEDE

I, for one, am very glad to see these posts that describe some of the issues and problems encountered by regular customers during this process of enhancing the car's performance with the XEDE computer. I don't find them inflamatory at all, just very well written, organized, and thought out. Since I learned my lesson with first generation products ( I bought a brand new BMW 335i that had many issues, and continues to have issues ) I decided to wait on the XEDE and look at the feedback from some of the customers who had it installed or are waiting to have it installed. And, I'm glad I did. It appears that there are too many things wrong with the XEDE and the customer service from Shiv's company to invest in it. This forum should allow its members to post their negative experiences without insults and provocative remarks from its members. As for the 335, a $45,520 car, even though it's under warranty, I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump, then a sensor failed and had to be replaced, then the seat belt feeder broke and had to be replaced, then a brake light burned out and had to be replaced, then another sensor failed and had to be replaced. My TPM yellow warning light comes on once a week now. At low speeds the is a strange squeaky noise coming from the wheels. I've had the car for 4 months and have under five thousand miles on it. No matter how I look at it, it does not seem right that a car this expensive should have so many problems. I talked to BMWNA about it; and they could not help. I talked to the dealer about it, they just raised their shoulders, and later their eyebrows because I was in the shop so often. A bad experience is a bad experience, and a string of them makes it for a bad caror bad customer support from Shiv, not an inflammatory post. Dan from Phoenix
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #13
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I dont think that anyone is trying to flame anyone else here. I just think that if people come to some sort of understanding and realize that yes, this is a brand new product still in the testing phase, then they can have some piece of mind and come to a decision as to whether or not to get the Xede.

The thing that I've noticed is that Vishnu is a quality company, but they dont seem to have alot of people on their staff. I'm guessing 3 or 4? Dont know for sure.

The one thing that absolutely pisses me off, not just with the Xede, but also the vendors on this site who are selling products like Militek, CP-E, ACS, Hamann, is that they put it out there for people to buy and then we have to wait 3 months to get it.

Why not come out when you actually have the product and then try to sell it. Its kinda like waiting on a 335. You order it and then have to wait 2 months to actually get it.

I'm personally going to give Vishnu the benefit of the doubt because of all the great things they have done for the E90post forum since I've been here.
      12-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
2007/335i/coupe
Falling in Love with German Boost
Rep
Drives: 335i, E350, Accord EX, GSXR750

Garage List
Everyone is entitled to share their experiences with Vishnu. I don't believe the OP was wrong to post his experience. The reason I'm saying this is not to take sides, rather I too had to have my appointment pushed back because they did not have the boost solenoid. (PapaBoomBoom, was your appointment on 20th?) I was definitely disappointed when Shiv called, especially since I didn't get much sleep the night before in anticipation of the new upgrade. Heck, I even scheduled a half day at work just so I could make my appointment! At first, I was slightly irritated at the fact he knew I was coming and should've had everything ready. But as our phone conversation was coming to an end, I let it go. It's the Holidays now and seeing how many people are ordering the Xede coupled with how many people are calling, emailing or pming him; I felt that I shouldn't be giving him a hard time about it. Could things have worked out better? Of course! But hey... I have to use my favorite age old cliche in this case... Shit Happens. You are tuning your car so expect things to arise and take it with a grain of salt. After only 2 weeks, my brand new 335i started to leak oil and eventually reach the point where the idiot light came on (I park my car outside in different spots so I never noticed the leak). It ended up being a faulty oil cooler and even through this, I wasn't ticked off. Have you ever done any remodeling on a house? If you have, I'm sure you know how difficult it is to deal with contractors and interior designers, even after spending well over $50k.

Touching up just a bit on what the OP and geoff2010 are saying in regards to how his operations are. I agree that customer service is vital to any organization. However people should not be flaming others in regard to how they run their business. It's fantastic that you operate a small software company geoff and I commend you for your efforts to address all customer requests. I read in one of Shiv's posts with him saying he and his team have no formal education in marketing or business. He is first and foremost a tuner, and with his skill, he is trying to make money. I just don't place Vishnu in the same catagory as Dinan in terms of marketing and corporate business. They are still growing and possibly deciding which direction they want their company to go in.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #15
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

2007 Very nice post.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Well said, to me Vishnu shouldnt be compared to companies like Dinana because basically Vish is a tuner that knows what he is doing and is basically doing favors for other Bimmers owners and getting paid for his time. If he is not on time or backed up we should all recognize what he is doing for the 335 community and he is probably swamped. If it were Dinan, AA, or UUC then thats a different story.

Jason
      12-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

shit he can be 4 hours late.... i still want that shit !!!

aahahah lets see... 4 hours of waiting vs a lot of damn power!

ill take power please!!!

no really, i understand where your coming from and good service does go a long way.

but shit does happen like the rest have said
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude
Well, I dont know Shiv or Vishnu's "business etiquette", but as far as not receiving emails or getting through on the phone.....its the holidays! They may, dare I say it, at home with their families or on vacation?

If I were you, I'd chill and just wait till after the New Year. If its the same after that time, the go ahead and start flaming Vishnu. But give them the chance they deserve first. They've come on the forum and answered every stupid question we've had for them.

Oh and one last thing. Remember that they have other vehicles they provide parts and service to besides the 335. Like Subaru's, Evo's, etc....

Peace
Please see the part of my message that said "15 days ago". I did this looong before the holidays were upon us. All I want is confirmation that someone has read one of my emails. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
There are a few errors with the original posters post. First, I contacted him earlier that morning, while he was on his way to the shop, notifying him that my auto parts supplier still didn't deliver my shipment of solenoids and that I would do my best to find a substitute. After a hour of shuttling around town, going from auto dealer to auto dealer, trying to find a replacement solenoid, i went back to the shop to look for any extra solenoids that I had stashed away. I found two. One that was removed from an Elise turbo and one that I robbed from a Greddy Profec B boost control system. I showed him both and, rightfully so, he wasn't happy. I said it was the best I could do at this time and regrettfully suggested a reschedule. He notified me that he refused to make the 20 minute drive again. He continued to ask me questions about which solenoied was better and what would happen if it failed. At that point, I suggested we cancel the appointment since I don't want to install something that clearly made the customer unhappy. He still wanted to talk about installing the part. I still wanted to cancel the appointment based upon other issues leading up to this point. I have only refused service to four or five people in the last ten years. I did it this time because it was clear that neither party was going to be happy with this transaction in the long run.

But I fully admit, I still made the first mistake by assuming our shipment of solenoids would show up on time and not 3 days late. This, unfortunately, effected a number of people who wanted to get their kit installed before Christmas. This is also the reason we're doing make-up installations this week while the office is officially closed. We're doing our best guys....

Cheers.
shiv

PS. Geoff, check your PMs

Last edited by OpenFlash; 12-27-2006 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep

Quote:
geoff. Seems like they do lack customer service. Also, what kind of software do you produce?
We provide hosted call center software. Inbound ACD, Outbound Predictive Dialer, call tracking, etc. www.connectfirst.com

-G
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #21
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007/335i/coupe
Everyone is entitled to share their experiences with Vishnu. I don't believe the OP was wrong to post his experience. The reason I'm saying this is not to take sides, rather I too had to have my appointment pushed back because they did not have the boost solenoid. (PapaBoomBoom, was your appointment on 20th?) I was definitely disappointed when Shiv called, especially since I didn't get much sleep the night before in anticipation of the new upgrade. Heck, I even scheduled a half day at work just so I could make my appointment! At first, I was slightly irritated at the fact he knew I was coming and should've had everything ready. But as our phone conversation was coming to an end, I let it go. It's the Holidays now and seeing how many people are ordering the Xede coupled with how many people are calling, emailing or pming him; I felt that I shouldn't be giving him a hard time about it. Could things have worked out better? Of course! But hey... I have to use my favorite age old cliche in this case... Shit Happens. You are tuning your car so expect things to arise and take it with a grain of salt. After only 2 weeks, my brand new 335i started to leak oil and eventually reach the point where the idiot light came on (I park my car outside in different spots so I never noticed the leak). It ended up being a faulty oil cooler and even through this, I wasn't ticked off. Have you ever done any remodeling on a house? If you have, I'm sure you know how difficult it is to deal with contractors and interior designers, even after spending well over $50k.

Touching up just a bit on what the OP and geoff2010 are saying in regards to how his operations are. I agree that customer service is vital to any organization. However people should not be flaming others in regard to how they run their business. It's fantastic that you operate a small software company geoff and I commend you for your efforts to address all customer requests. I read in one of Shiv's posts with him saying he and his team have no formal education in marketing or business. He is first and foremost a tuner, and with his skill, he is trying to make money. I just don't place Vishnu in the same catagory as Dinan in terms of marketing and corporate business. They are still growing and possibly deciding which direction they want their company to go in.
Nice post. I don't think that anyone is trying to flame anyone, they are simply pointing out issues that need to pointed out when they occur. Now I haven't seen "the other side of the story" yet so they may be more to this then we know right now.

Nothing kills a business faster than poor customer service whether the situation that started it is good or bad and it was only a matter of time before non-positive threads about Shiv and his organization where going to start popping up. No knock on them, it's just the reality of business. It's impossible to have 100% of business dealings end on a positive note for all involved. But with the Internet as a tool, those bad dealings can be spread much faster than before to a much larger audience.

Food for thought, a true measure of a business is not how it handles itself when things go right, the true measure is how it handles itself when things go wrong. If that business doesn't handle itself at the level of normal expectations when things aren't going right, then maybe you should do business with someone else. That statement is true for any business in any industry.

If it's true that they have no formal education in business or marketing then that does make certain parts of running a business tougher. But as far as customer service goes, no formal business training is needed. We all learned everything we needed to know about being good at that in the 1st grade, "treat everyone just like you would want them to treat you". BTW, the statement holds true on both sides of the fence (customer and owner).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: I just got a PM from Shiv. He assured me he would take care of it personally.
Appreciate 0