New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
plessdude
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.5i

JuiceBox 3 = Wow

New member here and new owner. I picked up a '11 3.5i on monday. Black/Black with Stainless interior. I never would have considered a z4 but I drove one and caught the bug. The dealer couldn't locate an Is for me so I opted for the i and figured I would chip the car. My Juice Box 3 arrived today. The installation was painless. Since our ECU is easily assessable it took all of about 15 minutes to install the chip. WOW WOW WOW. This car is a beast now. When the turbos hit they really hit. Feels like my old 996TT. Easily the best $600 i have spent in a while. I am tempted to switch out the airbox now but I have always had issues in the past with aftermarket airboxes so I am probably gonna wait a few months. If you are on the fence about the chip I would definitely not hesitate. Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

i assume it needs to be pulled when you take it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
plessdude
Rep

It would probably be a good idea to pull it before you take it in. Supposedly its untraceable and since you don't do any real modification no one would be able to tell that you had is inside if you had to pull it out for a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

sweet. did you take any pics of the install? how do you change maps?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
jc-e89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuner View Post
how do you change maps?
i think either this way in the video or with a laptop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIH0ttIq4Kw
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
plessdude
Rep

I should have taken pics but I was impatient. The install is really easy. I would say its about the same difficulty as the smartTOP module install.

What you need to do:

1. Open the hood and locate the ECU box near the drivers side windshield. Remove the 8 screws holding down the plastic cover.

2. Since the ECU is located in such an easy to get to place skip ahead on the 3 series install video. You save a tremendous amount of headache on the Z not having to remove all kinds of stuff just to get to the ECU.

3. Basically you are sliding out the 4 factory wire strips in the ecu harness, replacing them with the JuiceBox wire harness strips then attaching the other set of JuiceBox male wire strips to the factory strips. The The JuiceBox is basically setup now as a pass through wire.

4. Tuck everything including the JuiceBox module into the ecu compartment and screw the cover back on.

You can change maps just like the video jc-e89 posted. I have yet to change from the default map which is map 3.

I have noticed after putting about 50 miles on it tonight that when in Automatic mode the gear shifts can't keep up with the force of the power fast enough. I tried running it in Sport+ mode but it was still a little off. Obviously when you are in manual mode this is not an issue. I can't really foresee this being an issue for me since when I feel like really getting on it I switch to manual anyways.

Its nice to really be able to hear the Turbos spool up now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Is anyone doing any data logging with these. I would like to see how the A/F ratios and EGT's are affected. Extra power and performance are great but I need to know how that is affecting the motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Go to N54tech.com Terry and the members can answer all your questions about the JB3 etc since they helped develop it.
Appreciate 0