E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help a beginner with his paint!

08-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Help a beginner with his paint!

I have a cable porter polisher 7424 and I am somewhat of a beginner using the multiple different polishing pads.

I have a 2009 335xi with only 6600 miles on the car so the paint is still in excellent condition.

What I want to know is, how many of the different polishing pads do I need and what would you experts do to keep the paint in tip top shape.

1.) Do I need to polish a car with so few miles on the odometer and the paint is still very glossy? (So do I need a polishing pad with a little bit of cutting ability?)

2.) Or should I just clean the car good, clay bar it, clean the car again then put a coat of Z-2 Zaino on the car??

What foam pads would you guys get for my car situation and if you could please explain that'd be great!!!

I know I dont need the pads for severe swirls or oxidation, so I guess i just need to know the difference between the middle ones.

Thanks

Bill
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Hey Bill,

You will always be able to see the benefits from polishing and a full detail. Brand new cars off the showroom floor see the benefits too. I usually only polish once a year (in the Spring) and just keep up with sealant/wax and regular hand washes in between. Maybe one more clay in the fall before the winter LSP goes on. Some might recommend polishing twice a year, which is fine too.

Here is a handy chart which describes all the standard LC pads. This should answer most of your questions about pad choice. Stick with 5.5" and 4" pads for the PCXP. I would go with 3-4 5.5" and 1-2 4" ones. This will allow you to get optimal results as you work around the car.

In your specific case, I would recommend either light green or white pads for your first polishing step, and black pads for your finishing/jeweling step. Try some Menzerna PO203S as your first step, and follow that up with some PO85RD to finish the job and really amplify the gloss. You could probably do a one step using PO203S on a white pad, but the two-step process will really bring the shine out of your paint.

The key to fantastic polishing results is in the preparation. Be sure to strip your paint down (remove any existing protection), thoroughly clean it, and clay before starting with the polish. After the polishing, you can use your choice of sealant/wax (or both) LSPs to make the car look phenomenal.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Wow, thanks so much.. I always feel like Ive had the proper waxes/pads but never knew how to work them in conjunction.

That really was a great tutorial.. Im going to give you a call tomorrow at your websites number and buy some 6.5 pads. I know you said smaller ones will work better but I already have the hook and loop combination for the 7424 so Im going to stick with the 6.5s.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I don't work for DI. Both George from Detailed Image and Phil from Detailers Domain are BimmerPost sponsors, and both are always more than willing to help. Between the two, they have everything you could ever need when it comes to detailing. Expect top notch service when dealing with either DI or DD, nobody is better.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0