E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New E90 Driver... and a question.

01-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

New E90 Driver... and a question.

Hi all,

I've been ghosting the forums for a couple weeks now doing a bit of research and now that I've just bought a car thought I'd best show my face (ok, ok it's not that scarey!).

I've just purchased an 06 reg 330d M Sport saloon with all the toys, as a change from my Z4 2.5i. I have to say I'll miss the grin inducing drive and roof down-ness of the Z but I'm getting a bit miffed with the complete lack of practicality of it.

So, 3 series it was and a test drive on Saturday last proved it. I was a bit dubious about the diesels but like everyone here had heard so much about them. Anyway. A hunt around on the net and half a dozen phone calls gets me my new car on Friday.

Anyway, on to my question. As with every car there are things to look out for on delivery, but is there anything specific about the e90 that I need to consider?

TIA

Nathan
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
NathanJT welcome to the forum.

I also had a Z4 prior to the coupe, and I know what you mean about missing the ability to drop the roof (but have we had warm and non-rainy weather recently ) I would definitely say the E92 is more than what I could have hoped for. Inside my 325i is sooooo quiet compared to the Z4... even with the roof up! - you won't look back

The only thing I found a bit different was the soft touch indicators and wipers - the indicators took about 5 mins to get used to but I admit to having read the manual just to confirm how to get the wipers on and use the rain sensor. Ohh and also getting used to the fact that you don't fall to the ground when getting in the car the way you do with the Z4.

I'm sure there will be more posts from E90 people!

Gordon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT
Hi all,

I've been ghosting the forums for a couple weeks now doing a bit of research and now that I've just bought a car thought I'd best show my face (ok, ok it's not that scarey!).

I've just purchased an 06 reg 330d M Sport saloon with all the toys, as a change from my Z4 2.5i. I have to say I'll miss the grin inducing drive and roof down-ness of the Z but I'm getting a bit miffed with the complete lack of practicality of it.

So, 3 series it was and a test drive on Saturday last proved it. I was a bit dubious about the diesels but like everyone here had heard so much about them. Anyway. A hunt around on the net and half a dozen phone calls gets me my new car on Friday.

Anyway, on to my question. As with every car there are things to look out for on delivery, but is there anything specific about the e90 that I need to consider?

TIA

Nathan
      01-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep

Gordon,

Thanks for the reply!

I know exactly what you mean about the Z. Being 6'+ I always had the seat as low as possible so was literally bending over and sliding into the car. Still sitting back there over the rear wheels was a lot of fun with the DSC off!

Can't wait for friday now!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
ROCKETRON
320D M-sport le-mans blue
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M-Sport le-mans blue

Sure you will love the car. I assume that its a demonstrator with a few thousand miles on. Just make sure its all as it should be cosmetically. What extras have you got? The only things that there seems to be issues with is the run flat tyres. You will see many threads on here and on bmwland.co.uk about them. Dont forget post some pics when you get it.

E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep

Rocketron,

Thanks for the reply!

Goodies wise I have: Black Sapphire, Back Dekota, M Sport pack, Bluetooth, Assist, Heated Seats, Grad tinted screen, Nav Pro, iDrive, Voice control, Bi-Xenons and a tracker So somewhat of an upgrade from the sparce interior of the Z4!

I take it the run flat issue is pretty much the same as the Z4. RFT = poor/loud ride?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
I take it the run flat issue is pretty much the same as the Z4. RFT = poor/loud ride?
Absolutely.... NOT!! I didn't have sports suspension in the Z4 with 17" wheels (and I didn't want it in the coupe with 18" wheels), but the ride is superb and much more composed. It actually makes the Z4 look as if it has virtually no suspension at all - seriously! The clutch is also not as 'sharp' as in the Z4. One thing that did surprise me was the steering on the E92 felt a good bit heavier than on the Z4... especially at low speeds, but you won't be disappointed.

G.
      01-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Bravecat
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport, Titainium Silver

Great choice! and congratulations, you will love your new ride. These cars pull like a train.

I've had mine since october 06, i can honestly say i have had no issues, there are a few small details you could keep an eye out for and they will be very easily rectified while you pick the car up.

1. Check you have the 2007/1 nav DVD (I assume you have Nav Pro, you say you got all the toys) if not you can say you need post code searching and you will get a free exchange.

2. Check the glovebox torch is there. Mine had one.

3. you should make sure the floor matts are there.

small things i know, but you will be glad you got them...

enjoy your car.
Current BMW: E90 330d M Sport, Titainium Silver, 18" M star spoke 193, Black Dakota Leather, Automatic Gearbox, Sliding Front Armrest, Electric Glass Sunroof, Rear-seats Folding Headrests , Professional Navigation System with iDrive, BMW Assist, Bluetooth Preparation with Telematics.

Previous BMW's: 2004 E60 530d SE Auto, 2001 E46 325i M Sport manual
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Welcome to the forum - also check you have the manual and warning triangle (both in the boot)
      01-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi all,

TIA

Nathan
Congrats on the new car.

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 04:22 AM   #10
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension
Congrats on the new car.
Tell me about it! I'm absolutely gagging for Friday afternoon to get here! A last blast in the Z4 up to Manchester and then a nice cruise home via South Wales, France and a couple of ferries!

Only thing now is, getting the Bluetooth to work with my Nokia N73 (yes I know it's unlikely).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #11
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
Welcome to the forum - also check you have the manual and warning triangle (both in the boot)
Yeah, its surprising how many members have had items missing when taking delivery. Really check the car over and thoroughly before you accept. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #12
Touringman
Private
Rep
Drives: Silver 335i MSport

Welcome to the forum - hope you will be happy with your new car!

I have the N73 phone and did some research before deciding what options I wanted - bad news re N73 I am afraid - the BMW bluetooth won't work with it ...at all...ever (according to BMW and Nokia!)

I have the N73 and am getting a Nokia Bluetooth sytem fitted to my new e90 (currently in an e46) with some special interface to Logic 7 sound system and a cradle to use the phone display) - I also use Tom Tom 6 sat nav on this phone with a bluetooth GPS receiver hidden away under the dash.

This is a really flexible system and means having no trailing after market wires etc and saves you a couple of grand off the price!

Cheers
R1150 GS - for sale
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #13
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep

Well,

All I can say is WOW!

I've done 600 miles since Friday afternoon and I can honestly say it's the most fun I've had driving in a LONG time. The mid range torque fo overtaking is AWESOME!

I love all the gadgets and toys and the looks of the car in black (even though it is a sod to keep clean) are just stunning. At night when the illuminated exterior door handles come on it jut makes me laugh, it's so bling bling!!

I've taken a few pics but unfortunately they're still on the camera memory card. When I get a chance to get it clayed and a few coats of Zymol on t I'll post some good ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 04:39 AM   #14
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Well,

All I can say is WOW!
Good to hear! Its a great feeling getting a new car and just getting used to everything and all the new toys. It does look good when the front/back and door handle welcome lights come on when you unlock it.
      01-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
cotsworth
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport Le Mans Blue

I'm new to the forum and a soon to be 330d M Sport owner in Le mans Blue with bluetooth etc.

unfortunately I haven't been able to drive the car as i get it through my company (Rolls Royce part of BMW) as a lease car so don't get the opportunity. I've driven the E46 and loved it, now waiting the arrival of the new one on 7th Feb!

Will be interested to compare it to a friend's 130i M Sport, the diesel's got a shed load more torque so I'm hoping to surprise him!!

Does anyone know whether the bluetooth works with a sony erricson P990??

What's the usual time, if you still really need to, for running these engines in?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotsworth View Post
I'm new to the forum and a soon to be 330d M Sport owner in Le mans Blue with bluetooth etc.

unfortunately I haven't been able to drive the car as i get it through my company (Rolls Royce part of BMW) as a lease car so don't get the opportunity. I've driven the E46 and loved it, now waiting the arrival of the new one on 7th Feb!

Will be interested to compare it to a friend's 130i M Sport, the diesel's got a shed load more torque so I'm hoping to surprise him!!

Does anyone know whether the bluetooth works with a sony erricson P990??

What's the usual time, if you still really need to, for running these engines in?

The 3.0d feels faster for a lazy / normal driving style. The 3.0 petrol IS significantly quicker, but you have to work to get it. It's relatively high revving and at any given time you have a choice of three gears for cruising. If you want to accelerate rapidly you need to drop to the lowest of those gears.

I've had a lot of e46's. I got an e60 last year and was initially impressed by the refinement, but ultimately dissapointed by lack of 'direct' handling - it just wasn't as nimble.

The e90 has the pin sharp handling AND the refinement.

Run in period for the petrol was 1200 miles, but I gave in and redlined it long before then.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #17
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
NFS is right. The 330i is just superb in the high revs. The engine sound is just music to the ears. I had a mad day last weekend driving mostly in high revs to the extent that a new symbol came up on the dash I didn't recognise. I later looked it up on the forum and the symbol meant "Engine speed too high, change into a higher gear if road conditions permit"!! I was probably having a bit too much fun! I wish it revved up to 9,000 rpm!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
NFS is right. The 330i is just superb in the high revs. The engine sound is just music to the ears. I had a mad day last weekend driving mostly in high revs to the extent that a new symbol came up on the dash I didn't recognise. I later looked it up on the forum and the symbol meant "Engine speed too high, change into a higher gear if road conditions permit"!! I was probably having a bit too much fun! I wish it revved up to 9,000 rpm!
You took it to 70 in 2nd again, didn't you MF- it's just great!
I just love the look of the 'white van man' when you do that, if you can still see him in your rear view mirror!

I won't go into the gorgeous sound of the in-line straight 6-cylinder petrol engine above 4700rpm- it's the end of the world as the diesel owners know it, as REM might say! (Have a look here)

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Yikes - what rpm do you need to hit to have that symbol light up... the limiter? Have seen the opposite symbol light up on mine (engine speed too low) when cruise control set at 30mph in 6th gear.
      01-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Yikes - what rpm do you need to hit to have that symbol light up... the limiter? Have seen the opposite symbol light up on mine (engine speed too low) when cruise control set at 30mph in 6th gear.
Yeah, I was on the limit when it flashed up. Luckily the car automatically cuts off power to prevent damage to the engine (I hope). I learnt that at the E90 launch at Rockingham. I didn't mean to over rev, the lamp came up and I was worried I'd done something bad
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
how can you mean to not over rev? That reminds me of my cousin that got caught for speeding and told the police officer that his foot slipped on the accelerator
      01-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
You took it to 70 in 2nd again, didn't you MF- it's just great!
I just love the look of the 'white van man' when you do that, if you can still see him in your rear view mirror!

I won't go into the gorgeous sound of the in-line straight 6-cylinder petrol engine above 4700rpm- it's the end of the world as the diesel owners know it, as REM might say! (Have a look here)

Viv

I thought it was compulsory that you take it to the redline in 2nd ?

It's the only chance you get to really let the 330i rip, but still avoid a swift spell in prison

(albeit you can get away with a quick redline in 3rd as well if no-ones looking)

:rocks:

What I like is that when you initially hit second you are pulling slowly away from anyone behind you, then they dissapear very rapidly and suddenly the things that were a long way ahead of you are very very close indeed.
Appreciate 0