E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question for Xede owners

01-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
mayno
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i / 2018 BMW 430i Conv

Question for Xede owners

Can someone please post a pic of the Vishnu Tuning System Plug-and-Play Harness which is used to change the maps? I'm interested in seeing where you have to go to connect the harness. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardc
Can someone please post a pic of the Vishnu Tuning System Plug-and-Play Harness which is used to change the maps? I'm interested in seeing where you have to go to connect the harness. Thanks.
Production version is not availible yet, current XEDE owners have a simple switch from Radio Shack.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1
Production version is not availible yet, current XEDE owners have a simple switch from Radio Shack.
Really, where is the switch installed or is it a switch w/ a harness that you connect?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I think the switch was installed in the engine bay next to the XEDE
      01-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
I think the switch was installed in the engine bay next to the XEDE
It'd be very helpful if someone could post a pic of this. Basically, I just want to be sure that if the car gets serviced at BMW...they won't see it and question me and worse case scenario void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
It'd be very helpful if someone could post a pic of this. Basically, I just want to be sure that if the car gets serviced at BMW...they won't see it and question me and worse case scenario void the warranty.
Let me try again..

When you purchase the production version of the XEDE there will be a different method for switching maps. Currently i think they are considering a wireless set-up, but no one really knows.

So getting a picture of the current "Beta XEDEs" and the switch they have would be completely useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
As far as the pre-production version is concerned, why would you be worried about the switch if it is in the same compartment as the xede itself? If the dealer was to see the switch, they would see the rest of the XEDE.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1
Let me try again..

When you purchase the production version of the XEDE there will be a different method for switching maps. Currently i think they are considering a wireless set-up, but no one really knows.

So getting a picture of the current "Beta XEDEs" and the switch they have would be completely useless.
I disagree that it'd be useless to see the current setup since I plan on getting the Xede in early Feb when Vishnu comes to So Cal, and I'd imagine that the early Feb version will still be the beta version. So I'd like to see where it's located for service/warranty issues.

I highly doubt that a wireless setup is in the works since the level of effort to build this will create diminishing returns. Think about it: why would you want to create a wireless feature for something that would probably change "at most" once or twice a month (even that is a stretch)? (we use wireless TV remotes because we change the damn channel every other minute) The ideal situation is to simply use a plug/switch system...that you can connect every time you want to change a map. That said, it would be an absolute waste of time and effort to create a wireless method of updating maps and it would add an additional cost to the system.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW
As far as the pre-production version is concerned, why would you be worried about the switch if it is in the same compartment as the xede itself? If the dealer was to see the switch, they would see the rest of the XEDE.
Is it in the same compartment as the xede itself? That's part of my question. I have no idea of what one would do to update a map. That's why I'm asking where it's located and if the connection points is easily visible by someone.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
I disagree that it'd be useless to see the current setup since I plan on getting the Xede in early Feb when Vishnu comes to So Cal, and I'd imagine that the early Feb version will still be the beta version. So I'd like to see where it's located for service/warranty issues.

I highly doubt that a wireless setup is in the works since the level of effort to build this will create diminishing returns. Think about it: why would you want to create a wireless feature for something that would probably change "at most" once or twice a month (even that is a stretch)? (we use wireless TV remotes because we change the damn channel every other minute) The ideal situation is to simply use a plug/switch system...that you can connect every time you want to change a map. That said, it would be an absolute waste of time and effort to create a wireless method of updating maps and it would add an additional cost to the system.
Your logic is impeccable. Sounds like you have Vulcan blood running through your veins.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #11
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

The RF remote control system I'm testing right now consist of a little electronic board and a keyfob. The board sits next to our computer (under the ECU cover.) The keyfob using a rolling code transmission which provides security as well as eliminates the possibility of ANOTHER nearly user accidently switching the maps in YOUR car...lol. Later I'll try using the factory universal remote control system built into the car (integrated into the rearview mirror). With 3 buttons there, you'd still have 2 left over for you garage doors

Cheers,
shiv

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=86

The only hassle is running that wire through the firewall-- hence the whole remote control thing.

Shiv

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=93

And if were still not convinced that MAYBE, just MAYBE they might have a wireless set-up in development…

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=73
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:

except that he is/ has created it
      01-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
e92law
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e70

Actually, I disagree. I would like to switch in real time. I foresee my second tune as a valet mode. I had to valet the car on the second day I owned it (less than 100 miles) and wish that I could have something to rein these guys in a bit. I mean, if someone is going to burn rubber, it better be me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92law
Actually, I disagree. I would like to switch in real time. I foresee my second tune as a valet mode. I had to valet the car on the second day I owned it (less than 100 miles) and wish that I could have something to rein these guys in a bit. I mean, if someone is going to burn rubber, it better be me.
if they want to burn rubber, they'll do it w/ or the w/out the xede. frankly, what i'm concerned about the most when I valet a car is if the car will come back w/ a door ding or scratch and you can't see it cause it's at night.

if you're really concerned about valets joyriding your car, write down the mileage before you leave the car. turning the xede off won't help you one bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

I won't valet for just those reasons. Friend of my valet'd his car at a high end movie theater and came out to a huge dent in his front fender. There were about 10 of us there that day(office outing) and everyone knew it didn't go in like that. Valet company claimed it was there. Police told him "good luck". Now his only options are to fix it himself or go to court and sue. Pretty sh!tty choices.

If I valet, I'd throw the valet guy some money to leave it up front(usually pretty expensive). Otherwise, I'll park elsewhere and walk after dropping off anyone with me at the door. Most places that offer valet parking have self park as well(At least down here)

As for the valet switch... On the original thread, someone else asked Shiv if that was possible. Shiv explained that limiting the engine enough to make a difference for valet WOULD leave information/errors in the computer for BMW to see.
Appreciate 0